Mock Draft

marck

After reviewing the Bills present needs, I have compiled the following mock draft assuming we use the present 10 picks as of the time of this post.

8th Pick - Winston Justice - OT USC

There is a point when you need to invest high draft picks to the trenches. Justice in my opinion has the biggest upside of all tackle prospects in this draft. He is a far better athlete then Ferguson and will be a quality starter for the next 10-12 years barring injury. A cornerstone and need pick with the 8th choice in this draft.

42nd Pick - John McCargo - DT North Carolina State

Profile for a nose tackle or a one gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme, is a sound and smart player who would fit into a rotation at tackle with Triplett and Anderson. High motor, strong with great quickness needed in this defensive scheme. Also if Bills move to a 3-4, could be a nose tackle.

70th Pick - Pat Watkins -FS Florida State

Pick based on need and outstanding physical gifts. Cover 2 scheme needs ball-hawking playmaker and Watkins is more the playmaker type then the hitter. Good size/speed/vertical ratio at at 4.46 in 40 with a 40 inch vertical, and history in a quality program makes him a steal at this point in the draft deep with safety talent

73rd - Mark Anderson - DE Alabama

This is a great value pick as Anderson has solid credentials as a pass rush end, great height at 6'6" and has his weight up to 270 lbs while maintaining 4.68 speed in the 40. Edge pass rusher with a solid base for holding up against the run and played and excellend in a top conference in the SEC.

105th Pick - Jonathan Lewis - DT Virginia Tech

Lewis is another tackle that is more of a penetrator in the style of Larry Tripplet, with McCargo more the stay at home type like Tim Anderson, makes for a great rotation of youth on the defensive line and has great strength and size at around 300 lbs.

134th Pick - Devin Hester - CB Miami

May not be there at this point in the draft but if he is, would be a steal at this point. Fast with great quickness and fluid hips and great recovery speed. Biggest limitation is strength and lack of experience at this position. Could be a special teams player until he develops skills on the corner, would round out the CB corps with Clements, McGee, King and Hester.

143rd Pick - Rob Sims - OG Ohio State

Nasty physical guard who is an up and down player. Has the physical skills to dominate inside, can't be moved outside due to slow footwork. Can be a physical road grader type of Guard and has played against top competition. Fred Matua of USC and Kevin Boothe of Cornell are also guys who would still be available with this pick. All three have comparable skills and would enhance the guard position.

178th Pick - Ingle Martin - QB Furman

Transfer from University of Florida. Played very well at lower division school, cannon arm and can make all the throws. Good speed and quickness for a QB. Development team player who can be 3rd string and develop in NFL Europe.

216th Pick - Michael Robinson - Slash Penn State

Interesting tweener, physical talent who can run, throw and catch, but none well enough to standout in any area. Might have value at RB or as an option QB for special plays. Could also be an asset on special teams.

248th Pick - Elvis Dumervil - OLB/DE Louisville

May not be available here, but some teams have him off their boards due to height/speed ratio. Don't really know if he has NFL talent, but college production makes him worthy of a look. If he the skills to rush the passer, may be able to do it at the NFL level.

This is my feel for the draft, love to read your comments.

42nd is too high for McCargo. Don't even pick one QB, let alone two.

660144[/snapback]

McCargo is one of those guys that the internet mocks have underrated. I bet he DOES go late first, early second to someone.

As for the mock in your signature, I don't think there is ANY way Colledge is available in the third. I wouldn't be surprised if those sneaky, wise Patriots take him the first. Colledge is one of my favorite prospects in this draft.

About Mark Anderson, could you provide a source or link for this:

"great height at 6'6" and has his weight up to 270 lbs while maintaining 4.68 speed in the 40" ?

One of the things I really want out of this draft is a true, pass-rushing DE, and MA would fit perfectly at a heavier weight.

I think your draft would be very solid if we end up signing Tutan Reyes, thereby letting us push an upgrade at LG off until the mid-rounds of the draft. If we dont get Tutan Reyes, I think you'll see the Bills take a Guard by the end of Day One for sure.

I've seen a lot of love towards McCargo in recent weeks, I'm going to have to check up on that guy.

Aside from Elvis lasting until the 7th round (I doubt he makes it out of the 4th) it looks like a pretty groovy draft. Nice work!

On a sidenote, I cant wait for Yahoo to post their prospect highlights the weekend of the Draft. Here is what they did for last year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft

...with highlights well into the 7th round when you click on the little camera icon next to the names. Problem is since its such a great feature, they dont put it up until Draft weekend. They make us wait for all of them!

McCargo is a little overrated, remember he was playing with two first round picks. that takes a lot of heat off of him, plus he has had foot issue. Put claude Wroten or even Harris into that spot and I'd be happier

But I do like the Martin pick.

I think your draft would be very solid if we end up signing Tutan Reyes, thereby letting us push an upgrade at LG off until the mid-rounds of the draft.  If we dont get Tutan Reyes, I think you'll see the Bills take a Guard by the end of Day One for sure.

I've seen a lot of love towards McCargo in recent weeks, I'm going to have to check up on that guy. 

Aside from Elvis lasting until the 7th round (I doubt he makes it out of the 4th) it looks like a pretty groovy draft.  Nice work!

On a sidenote, I cant wait for Yahoo to post their prospect highlights the weekend of the Draft.  Here is what they did for last year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft

...with highlights well into the 7th round when you click on the little camera icon next to the names.  Problem is since its such a great feature, they dont put it up until Draft weekend.  They make us wait for all of them!

660358[/snapback]

Overall, I still think your mock draft is the best I have seen. You are addressing the needs of this team.

After reviewing the Bills present needs, I have compiled the following mock draft assuming we use the present 10 picks as of the time of this post.

[134th Pick - Devin Hester - CB Miami

May not be there at this point in the draft but if he is, would be a steal at this point.  Fast with great quickness and fluid hips and great recovery speed.  Biggest limitation is strength and lack of experience at this position.  Could be a special teams player until he develops skills on the corner, would round out the CB corps with Clements, McGee, King and Hester.

This is my feel for the draft, love to read your comments.

660099[/snapback]

I like your draft it adresses a lot of needs. Besides highly doubting Elvis Dumervile lasts till the 7th rd I think he'll go in the late 3rd-early 4th, this is the pick I wanted to discuss. The problem with hester is he has no real position. Is he a corner, a wr, a 3rd down back or strictly a return man. The reward is higher then the risk here but I'd chose to go in another direction possibly safety someone like Greg Blue or Pat Watkins.

8th Pick - Winston Justice - OT USC

There is a point when you need to invest high draft picks to the trenches.  Justice in my opinion has the biggest upside of all tackle prospects in this draft.  He is a far better athlete then Ferguson and will be a quality starter for the next 10-12 years barring injury.  A cornerstone and need pick with the 8th choice in this draft. 

660099[/snapback]

Not a bad choice. I've come around a bit on Justice, so I wouldn't be horribly upset if he were chosen, I suppose. Good athlete who should make the transition to a LT in the pros.

42nd Pick - John McCargo - DT North Carolina State

Profile for a nose tackle or a one gap tackle in a 4-3 scheme, is a sound and smart player who would fit into a rotation at tackle with Triplett and Anderson.  High motor, strong with great quickness needed in this defensive scheme.  Also if Bills move to a 3-4, could be a nose tackle.

660099[/snapback]

McCargo as a nose in a 3-4? I wouldn't want to see it. But, as a compliment to Triplett in a Tampa 2-style 4-3 front, we could do worse.

70th Pick - Pat Watkins -FS Florida State

Pick based on need and outstanding physical gifts.  Cover 2 scheme needs ball-hawking playmaker and Watkins is more the playmaker type then the hitter.  Good size/speed/vertical ratio at at 4.46 in 40 with a 40 inch vertical, and history in a quality program makes him a steal at this point in the draft deep with safety talent

660099[/snapback]

I like Watkins, especially if he could be acquired this late. A steal that would help us where we badly need it.

73rd - Mark Anderson - DE Alabama

This is a great value pick as Anderson has solid credentials as a pass rush end, great height at 6'6" and has his weight up to 270 lbs while maintaining 4.68 speed in the 40.  Edge pass rusher with a solid base for holding up against the run and played and excellend in a top conference in the SEC.

660099[/snapback]

He could be there, and if he is, what a steal! A great athlete, and while he doesn't have the best size, he is a fairly solid run defender also. Nice.

105th Pick - Jonathan Lewis - DT Virginia Tech

Lewis is another tackle that is more of a penetrator in the style of Larry Tripplet, with McCargo more the stay at home type like Tim Anderson, makes for a great rotation of youth on the defensive line and has great strength and size at around 300 lbs.

660099[/snapback]

Another good interior rusher who did well for himself @ the combine. I think I'd probably look for a 2 gap DT around here though, and if that's the case, I'd go after Jesse Mahelona of Tennessee or Johnny Jolly of Texas A&M.

134th Pick - Devin Hester - CB Miami

May not be there at this point in the draft but if he is, would be a steal at this point.  Fast with great quickness and fluid hips and great recovery speed.  Biggest limitation is strength and lack of experience at this position.  Could be a special teams player until he develops skills on the corner, would round out the CB corps with Clements, McGee, King and Hester.

660099[/snapback]

No!!!

Some people think he could develop into a solid corner like McGee, I think he's what he is: a great athlete w/ marginal skills @ a number of positions. He may even be gone when this pick is up, but I'd look to draft him later even if I were looking to draft him.

143rd Pick - Rob Sims - OG Ohio State

Nasty physical guard who is an up and down player.  Has the physical skills to dominate inside, can't be moved outside due to slow footwork.  Can be a physical road grader type of Guard and has played against top competition.  Fred Matua of USC and Kevin Boothe of Cornell are also guys who would still be available with this pick.  All three have comparable skills and would enhance the guard position.

660099[/snapback]

I don't see Sims lasting past the 4th round, but if he does, he'd be a good pick here for many of the reasons you mentioned. Boothe, I believe, is more likely to be there and would be a nice late pick. Very raw, but has a wealth of potential.

178th Pick - Ingle Martin - QB Furman

Transfer from University of Florida.  Played very well at lower division school, cannon arm and can make all the throws.  Good speed and quickness for a QB.  Development team player who can be 3rd string and develop in NFL Europe.

660099[/snapback]

Here's another late round gem. You must be a fan of Marty & Matt's Pro Draft Report site (one of my favorites: they have nailed some really good mid/late round finds lately). Martin looks to be a diamond in the rough.

216th Pick - Michael Robinson - Slash Penn State

Interesting tweener, physical talent who can run, throw and catch, but none well enough to standout in any area.  Might have value at RB or as an option QB for special plays.  Could also be an asset on special teams. 

660099[/snapback]

If we are looking for a depth player @ RB, I think Robinson would be a nice late round find. To me, he has a lot more upside there than he does @ WR.

248th Pick - Elvis Dumervil - OLB/DE  Louisville

May not be available here, but some teams have him off their boards due to height/speed ratio.  Don't really know if he has NFL talent, but college production makes him worthy of a look.  If he the skills to rush the passer, may be able to do it at the NFL level.

660099[/snapback]

I highly doubt he'll be here in the 7th round. I would probably take a flyer on him though if he were.

Not a bad choice.  I've come around a bit on Justice, so I wouldn't be horribly upset if he were chosen, I suppose.  Good athlete who should make the transition to a LT in the pros.

660829[/snapback]

He's getting more interesting.

BTW, here's a site you and the Mrs. might enjoy. A lot of interesting Steelers facts and quotes, embarrasing moments, bon mots, etc. :P

http://www.steelertribute.com/FACTS2.HTM