SUW - Why Is Chili Ever " Out Of Season " ?

Mark VI

I guess people have found that chilli sales during the summer take a nosedive. For some reason a lot of people won't eat spicy foods in the summer. I guess they feel that it will heat them up too much. It's interesting to note that cultures in hot weather climates all over the world have developed spicy foods despite their hot weather. Most would find that counterintuitive, but the spiciness of the food has the effect of cooling your body down afterwards. Most people don't realize that.

I guess people have found that chilli sales during the summer take a nosedive.  For some reason a lot of people won't eat spicy foods in the summer.  I guess they feel that it will heat them up too much.  It's interesting to note that cultures in hot weather climates all over the world have developed spicy foods despite their hot weather.  Most would find that counterintuitive, but the spiciness of the food has the effect of cooling your body down afterwards.  Most people don't realize that.

660283[/snapback]

I like Thai too.

My cafeteria at work serves soup 365 days a year. Yet around mid-March, Chili suddenly vanishes as a choice. Why ? 

" It's out of season " I'm told ...what... like duck hunting ?  Who the heck made that decision ? 

What happens if they do make it ? Will Chili Police rush the kitchen and bust them ?  " Freeze !  Hands up against the wall and drop the ladel ! " 

:rolleyes:

659939[/snapback]

Around mid-March the snow has completely thawed and the rats are able to go back outside again, hence no more chili...

I guess people have found that chilli sales during the summer take a nosedive.  For some reason a lot of people won't eat spicy foods in the summer.  I guess they feel that it will heat them up too much.  It's interesting to note that cultures in hot weather climates all over the world have developed spicy foods despite their hot weather.  Most would find that counterintuitive, but the spiciness of the food has the effect of cooling your body down afterwards.  Most people don't realize that.

660283[/snapback]

Ya, the mexicans at work use a lot of jalopenos, and that little bottle of cholua... I try it once in awhile its good, sometimes it hits you later on and you running to the porta- john dropping your tool belt and praying you make it, think its the habeneros....

You must work in a union shop.  They have rules that say their employees can only make chili, during certain times of the year. 

Did you know that servants in Boston went on strike in the late 1700's because they complained that they were eating too much lobster and were picketing to ensure that they were not fed lobster more then 3 times per week?

659947[/snapback]

You must have been watching Good Eats the food channel last night.