Meanwhile, back in Tehran...

I dont think the iranian president cares about diplomacy, he wants the nuclear energy, and then the bomb....If bush takes out the nuclear facilities with airstrikes or the bunker bomb, would iran retaliate against U.S. troops in iraq?....

I dont think the iranian president cares about diplomacy, he wants the nuclear energy, and then the bomb....If bush takes out the nuclear facilities with airstrikes or the bunker bomb, would iran retaliate against U.S. troops in iraq?....

659409[/snapback]

I doubt Iran would commit it's own forces against US troops in Iraq but almost certainly would use it's influence with the Iraqi Shiites to encourage them to rise up against coalition forces. However, I think a bigger threat would be what Iranian missiles could do to any US ships in the gulf. The Iranians have the latest Russian anti-ship missiles and this is one of the few areas of military technology where Russia is more advanced than the US.

I doubt Iran would commit it's own forces against US troops in Iraq but almost certainly would use it's influence with the Iraqi Shiites to encourage them to rise up against coalition forces. However, I think a bigger threat would be what Iranian missiles could do to any US ships in the gulf. The Iranians have the latest Russian anti-ship missiles and this is one of the few areas of military technology where Russia is more advanced than the US.

659439[/snapback]

That would pretty much be game on right there.

The Iranians have the latest Russian anti-ship missiles and this is one of the few areas of military technology where Russia is more advanced than the US.

659439[/snapback]

There's a lot more to using something successfully operationally than technology, though (and it's not US vs. Russian anti-ship missiles that counts, it's US anti-aircraft missiles vs. Russian anti-ship missiles.)

Regardless, Iran's in a far better position to close the Gulf to ship traffic now than they were the last time they fought a battle against the US.

659409[/snapback]

Yup. Iran is the largest perpetrator of state sponsored terrorism out there. You could also expect Iranian sponsored terror attacks on US interests elsewhere, and on the US mainland.