Saban Doesn't Think Ricky W. has Drug Problem

Yes.  If their love of smoking weed causes them to screw up their entire life and lose all their money, then yes they have a drug problem.

Imagine his life with and without weed and try telling me it's not a problem.

657183[/snapback]

Your definition of a screwed up life isn't necessarily the same as everybody else's.

Nor is the importance you place on money necessarily the same as that of others.

Maybe helping others and being content as a person was more important to him than money. Maybe he likes to smoke a pipe instead of mixing a drink or having coffe or smoking a butt or popping some Advil. Maybe getting his body destroyed for financial gain is what he considers to be a screwed up life.

You're trying to affix your own personal priorities into his value system and then declaring him troubled because the results don't add up. I think that's an erroneous way to consider the merits of another person.

When he starts mistreating his loved ones or stealing or beating people up or crashing cars then maybe we should talk about him having a problem. For now all I see is a guy who might be a little different, but is just trying to help others and do what his heart tells him to. More power to him.......

Your definition of a screwed up life isn't necessarily the same as everybody else's.

Nor is the importance you place on money necessarily the same as that of others.

Maybe helping others and being content as a person was more important to him than money. Maybe he likes to smoke a pipe instead of mixing a drink or having coffe or smoking a butt or popping some Advil. Maybe getting his body destroyed for financial gain is what he considers to be a screwed up life.

You're trying to affix your own personal priorities into his value system and then declaring him troubled because the results don't add up. I think that's an erroneous way to consider the merits of another person.

When he starts mistreating his loved ones or stealing or beating people up or crashing cars then maybe we should talk about him having a problem. For now all I see is a guy who might be a little different, but is just trying to help others and do what his heart tells him to. More power to him.......

657231[/snapback]

Your statements back up the fact he is playing for the league minimum....maybe because he has no choice because he has to prove himself. Last year after he came back, he more than earned his league minimum salary , as well as the respect that he lost from fellow teammates. Sure....his teammates are saying all the politically correct things when asked about Ricky.....but, you can only judge by what you see, and I saw a player giving his all on the field for his team. Besides...I heard it wasn't grass. The judgement on his appeal comes down tomorrow....

We aren't talking about a guy who is making $5 and hour working in some small job. This guy is playing a game for Millions of $$$$$ and he is jeopardising his job by smoking weed. That is a problem. Most of these pro athletes would never see a 1/4 of the money in their life times that they have received playing pro football if they decided to go into a different field of work. Its not like this is a job at a local McDonalds that said to him if we catch you doing drugs your fired, this is a multi-million dollar job to play a game that has told him as long as you don't do a couple of things, and come out and play a game on Sundays, heres a couple million dollars

657231[/snapback]

Even if I accept your premise that he's doing all this because he's made a conscious decision to "help others and be content as a person", wouldn't he be in a better position to help others if he had millions of dollars to spend?

If his heart is telling him that being content is the most important thing, then why even try to play football anymore? Especially in a league that forbids you from smoking weed?

Again, imagine his life with and without weed and tell me it's not a problem.

Maybe Miami gave him a ton of money to coach, that seems to be the indicator around here as to successful coaching

656950[/snapback]

Uh he went 9-7 with a team that was supposed to be terrible, Id say hes a good coach. Oh yeah he also has a national championship, no big deal though.

Uh he went 9-7 with a team that was supposed to be terrible, Id say hes a good coach. Oh yeah he also has a national championship, no big deal though.

657687[/snapback]

Jauron won Coach of the year with the freakin Bears, most posters here thinks he's a loser. Lots of coaches win championships in the college ranks, it doesn't mean they will be a HOF Pro Coach

Mularky went 9-7 with a team that was bad, and then 5-11 with a team that was supposed to make the playoffs with a rookie QB. Does that mean Mularky is a great coach cause he took a bad team to 9-7 in his first year?

Mularkey went 9-7 with a team that should have been a playoff team and then tanked with a team that wasn't much worse. He was an AWFUL coach.

Saban took the friggin DOLPHINS and turned them around. The only bad decision he may have made so far is hiring freaking Mularkey.

Jauron won Coach of the year with the freakin Bears, most posters here thinks he's a loser. Lots of coaches win championships in the college ranks, it doesn't mean they will be a HOF Pro Coach

Mularky went 9-7 with a team that was bad, and then 5-11 with a team that was supposed to make the playoffs with a rookie QB. Does that mean Mularky is a great coach cause he took a bad team to 9-7 in his first year?

657693[/snapback]

First of all who said that he was going to be a HOF coach, dial it down a notch pal. Secondly a bunch of coaches win a national title, are you serious? Last time I checked it was 1 a year. Saban is going to be successful in the NFL, I hate to admit it but its going to happen. I would make a coaching swap with Miami in a heartbeat. Mularkey did it with a soft schedule only to lose to Pitts. reserves.

Wow, sorry to interupt the Saban Lovefest here

Who says Miami was so Horrible last year. The have an average to slightly below average oline, decent Defence, and had a average QB (maybe less then average). The year they were horrible was because they lost there Pro Bowl RB late in the offseason without time to get a replacement. Last year they got him back and a great rookie RB. They were definitly better then the year before without the coaching change. Sorry if I don't by Saban is going to be the next great coach just because he led that team to a 9-7 record (the same way MM did it for Buffalo the year before)

Now you guys have done it, you made me physically ill, I have now defended the Dolphins and said the had a decent team. Thanks guys

657687[/snapback]

So did Dennis Erickson, and Spurrier proved himself to be an excellent college coach, but these charactoristics don't always translate well for coaches and players at the pro level.

It is way too early to rate Saban a success or failure. He was 9-7 in his 1st season, as was Mularkey, what he does collectively over the next 3-4 seasons will give a much better indication as to whether or not he will be considered a success or failure.