St. Francis ranked.....

Kevbeau

St. Francis is ranked 22nd in the USA Today Super 25 High School Football rankings.....some good news for WNY football and just wanted to throw a little press towards my alma mater.

Congrats to Coach Smith and his team.

48143[/snapback]

Thats wild!! Congrats to them!!

My brother played linebacker for them back in the early 70's.

(course he got kicked out when he punched one of the priests for trying to put him under his robe :D )

Good for St. Francis. That's a huge win against a perennial powerhouse. I was in Canton a few years ago to do the Hall of Fame and was trying to find a hotel room. The hotels were packed so I ask what is going on. The Desk clerk tells me that Canton is playing St. Ignatius of Cleveland at the Hall of Fame stadium. They were both ranked in the Top 25 USA Today poll at the time. Well I believe the stadium holds around 20,000 people and you couldn't find a hotel room or parking place in the entire area. Scalpers out, people charging for parking in the lawns, etc.

It's amazing to see the difference in high school sports in some areas of the country.

Guest Guest_rolly_*

i just graduated from st francis a few years ago. thats when the program really started to pick up. with smith as the AD now, the sky is the limit for SFHS football

I bet you that team could beat UB B)

you know Ken Stoddart, Tom Erickson, Dave Ball, Bill Troy, Caldwell and the boys...I used to hang out with those guys all of the time...

48293[/snapback]

I saw Ball and Stoddart a few months ago. They live here in Atlanta. Also, I grew up with Caldwell and have know him since 3rd grade.

I saw Ball and Stoddart a few months ago. They live here in Atlanta. Also, I grew up with Caldwell and have know him since 3rd grade.

48319[/snapback]

cool, if you see those guys tell them tater hill said hi, last I heard Caldwell was working as a scout for the Colts....that was 2 summers ago I think

cool, if you see those guys tell them tater hill said hi, last I heard Caldwell was working as a scout for the Colts....that was 2 summers ago I think

48331[/snapback]

Those guys mentioned that Dave's still with the Colts. I think he has scouting responsibilities for the Southeast. Haven't seen him since his parents moved out of my old neighborhood. Also, I think the Colts also have a couple other St Francis grads on their staff. One of Bill Polian's sons (not sure which one) and Tom Telesco.

Next time I run into Dave B. and Ken I'll tell 'em you said hi.

Outstanding for St Francis and Syracuse' Christian Brothers Academy (20). But one thing has me puzzled....How is it the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in New York State are ranked nationally while number 1 New Rochelle and number 2, perenial power Webster Schroeder don't make the USA list. Heck the two top schools in NYS didn't even make the top ten in teh East region poll. I take nothing away from the St Francis or CBA programs but it does raise questions about national high school polls. This is a PR contest, as a football coach for a private school, I know what powerfull letters the alumni can write to the press.

Outstanding for St Francis and Syracuse' Christian Brothers Academy (20).  But one thing has me puzzled....How is it the 3rd and 4th ranked teams in New York State are ranked nationally while number 1 New Rochelle and number 2, perenial power Webster Schroeder don't make the USA list.  Heck the two top schools in NYS didn't even make the top ten in teh East region poll.  I take nothing away from the St Francis or CBA programs but it does raise questions about national high school polls.  This is a PR contest, as a football coach for a private school, I know what powerfull letters the alumni can write to the press.

48557[/snapback]

I saw that too and had to scratch my head.

It's hard enough to get everyone to agree on college rankings, I'm guessing HS is damn near impossible. No real way to effectively measure strength of schedule. I know Frannies got boosted into the the top 25 by beating a ranked team in the Midwest (Ignatius). I guess one could take the components college uses and maybe throw in the number of D-1 prospects on the team.

When I was there we were trying to break into section VI (I think???), which didn't want any part of us, so Coach Smith and Tom Pasternak finally decided to pursue "recognized" opponents in other prep/private schools to go along with their Monsignor Martin games. St. Francis has also gone this way with their top level hockey team (ala Nichols) as is St. Joe's I believe.

My friend John Miskey, whose house I stay at when I go to Bills games, is a teacher there. He keeps me updated on the team. We went to the game in East Rochester before the home opener. Joe DeLamielleure was at the game & addressed the team in the locker room before the game. Worthington may be the headliner but Kedron is a great High School RB.

Guest Guest_Bruterlax_*

Graduated in '97. Played for Coach Smith. Its great to see all the hard work that he and other coaches have put into the program. Keep up the good work.