IDOL WORSHIP

major

I love watching Buffalo football and have for years. In fact, I love reading your posts on this site because your opinions are more thought provoking and funny than anything I hear on sports radio (which very rarely focuses on sports). However, do you ever think our obsession with the Bills borders on idol worship?

Trust me, I think it's ok to follow a team and support them (it's all for fun anyway). Yet, I'm troubled at the idol worship I see people across our world having with sports. We don't have enough money for education or for improving our schools, yet we seem to make sure our stadiums are of the highest quality. I guess it speaks to our values as a nation and a world. Sports figures get paid millions while teachers, police officers, and fire fighters make their living in the $35,000 to $50,000 range. When is the last time we were glued to the TV or internet to make sure our police officers received their bonus checks?

Personally, I believe the only thing we should truly worship is JESUS. That being said, I believe Jesus gave us the FREEDOM to enjoy sports. However, I think we sometimes take it too far where it becomes the most important thing in our life.

Do you agree or disagree?

I love watching Buffalo football and have for years. In fact, I love reading your posts on this site because your opinions are more thought provoking and funny than anything I hear on sports radio (which very rarely focuses on sports). However, do you ever think our obsession with the Bills borders on idol worship?

Trust me, I think it's ok to follow a team and support them (it's all for fun anyway). Yet, I'm troubled at the idol worship I see people across our world having with sports. We don't have enough money for education or for improving our schools, yet we seem to make sure our stadiums are of the highest quality. I guess it speaks to our values as a nation and a world. Sports figures get paid millions while teachers, police officers, and fire fighters make their living in the $35,000 to $50,000 range. When is the last time we were glued to the TV or internet to make sure our police officers received their bonus checks?

Personally, I believe the only thing we should truly worship is JESUS. That being said, I believe Jesus gave us the FREEDOM to enjoy sports. However, I think we sometimes take it too far where it becomes the most important thing in our life.

652589[/snapback]

You were doing ok there fella until you brought in religion. This should be fun. :angry:

652589[/snapback]

mostly disagree. For one, football, in the end is a spectator sport owned privately by rich people. Fans goto the stadium and spend big money, and when they do so, the stadium mortgage gets paid for. You make the front row seats to your kids middleschool talent show worth $400- see how fast the school gets upgraded...

mostly disagree. For one, football, in the end is a spectator sport owned privately by rich people. Fans goto the stadium and spend big money when they do so, thats how the stadium gets paid for. You make front row seats to your kids middleschool talent show worth $400- see how fast the school gets upgraded...

652595[/snapback]

Like the guy who used to cut my hair said. Until I can get 70,000 people pay to watch me cut hair I'll never make as much money as football players.

Frankly, for all the time and emotional investment and free enjoyment I get out of the Bills and the NFL and football, plus the effort these guys have to put in, and the abuse that their bodies take, and the fact they have to work their entire life to play 4-5 years and at the most 10 or so, I think they are underpaid. Think of all the kids in the US whose life goal is to be a pro football player, and all of the high school players and then college players who dream of being pros, or think they're good enough to be pros. These 1800 or so players are the best of the best and worth the money.

Frankly, for all the time and emotional investment and free enjoyment I get out of the Bills and the NFL and football, plus the effort these guys have to put in, and the abuse that their bodies take, and the fact they have to work their entire life to play 4-5 years and at the most 10 or so, I think they are underpaid. Think of all the kids in the US whose life goal is to be a pro football player, and all of the high school players and then college players who dream of being pros, or think they're good enough to be pros. These 1800 or so players are the best of the best and worth the money.

652603[/snapback]

Well yes, many aspiring football players never make it to the NFL but that is the way of life. Some are lucky, almost all are good and some are both. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who does make it and earns more money in one year that the vast majority of the world does in the lifetime. Try saying they are underpaid to the thousands of miltary, educators, and health care workers. When the average veteran salary is $650,000, even though I love watching the Bills I have to admit, I disagree with you entirely.

652589[/snapback]

Lighten up Francis.

652589[/snapback]

652589[/snapback]

GO TO OPRAH