Random KFFL news per Buffalo News

Bills | Team using help from Giddings

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:26:21 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills are again using Mike Giddings' help in evaluating their players and NFL free agent. Giddings is a former San Francisco 49ers assistant coach and has run an independent scouting service, Pro Scout Inc., for the past 29 years.

Bills | Peters staying at right tackle

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:25:26 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills OT Jason Peters will not move to left tackle for the 2006 season. Head coach Dick Jauron said, "He's our right tackle right now. He played outstanding football the latter half of 2005. We are counting on that to continue. Not only that, we are counting on that to improve. He has a chance to be a special player." Peters played 10 games at left tackle during the 2005 season when former Bills OT Mike D. Williams was benched.

Bills | Team takes $3.6 million cap hit by trading Losman

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:25:01 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills QB J.P. Losman might be a candidate to get traded, according to two scouts who requested anonymity. The Bills would take a $3.6 million salary cap hit by trading and would unlikely gain anything of value by trading him at this point in the offseason.

Bills | Team using help from Giddings

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 08:26:21 -0700

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills are again using Mike Giddings' help in evaluating their players and NFL free agent. Giddings is a former San Francisco 49ers assistant coach and has run an independent scouting service, Pro Scout Inc., for the past 29 years.

649971[/snapback]

I don't know anything about Giddings or Pro Scout Inc, but it's always a good idea to have a 3rd party take a look at things. Hope it helps.

Two problems with this article. One, Peters filled in at Right tackle, not left when Williams went down. Two, why would the bills trade Losman, take a cap hit, and not get anything of worth in return instead of keeping him on the roster and seeing if he improves during camp/the season? mutter mutter

Two problems with this article. One, Peters filled in at Right tackle, not left when Williams went down. Two, why would the bills trade Losman, take a cap hit, and not get anything of worth in return instead of keeping him on the roster and seeing if he improves during camp/the season?  mutter mutter

650111[/snapback]

Bad writeup by whoever submitted it to KFFL. Here's Mark Gaughan's original (italics mine):

Buffalo News

<snip> Two scouts - one a national West Coast scout and one an AFC South scout - say they have heard the Bills are interested in making Losman available in a trade.

Both requested anonymity, and neither talked directly to the Bills. So these reports still have to be filed under the chit-chat category. However, there is a perception around the league that the Bills' commitment to Losman is shaky at best because the new regime has no investment in him and the Bills seem so enthused about the addition of free-agent Craig Nall.

There are several good reasons why a trade of Losman makes no sense at all. <snip>

Peters is right tackle

The Bills do not intend to experiment with Jason Peters at left tackle. Their plan is to keep him on the right side, where he started 10 games last season after Mike Williams was benched.

"He's our right tackle right now," Jauron said. "He played outstanding football the latter half of 2005. We are counting on that to continue. Not only that, we are counting on that to improve. He has a chance to be a special player."

(All the more reason to check the original sources instead of trusting KFFL to get it right...)

Why would the Bills trade Losman and take the cap hit? He has only played in eight games for his career, if you count the Kansas City game. If memory serves me correctly he did an admirable job stepping in to a difficult situation where Holcomb was getting killed out there. Didn't he throw the 2 touchdown passes that were perfectly placed?

He seems to have all of the tools to succeed at this level. When listening to other quarterbacks talk, the game does start to slow down after about a season and a half. He has only had 8 games to date. You have to give him some time, in more ways than one :lol:

Bringing in Nall from Green Bay just gives more competition to the position. If he turns out to be the man to run our team than so be it. Even JP said that it was uncomfortable being "HANDED" the job last season. We would have been better served to have kept Bledsoe last season and had the competition between the two of them. Remember he would have had to earn the respect of his teammates a year ago had they kept Bledsoe. Last year management did no favors for JP. In fact they probably set him back by handling the situation the way they did.

To me, JP is a standup type of guy who wants to go to battle. You have to respect that. Marv has named several quarterbacks who struggled early on in their careers, just as he named coaches who did the same. People out there should look at what Marv is saying: he is all for competition.

Two problems with this article. One, Peters filled in at Right tackle, not left when Williams went down. Two, why would the bills trade Losman, take a cap hit, and not get anything of worth in return instead of keeping him on the roster and seeing if he improves during camp/the season?  mutter mutter

650111[/snapback]

MW benching wasn't the reason Peters go the start at RT. Remeber at the beginning of the season Peters was the backup LT; when MW got hurt the first time they brought in Greg Jerman to play RT and Peters never touched the field as they didn't want him learning a new position. But in a game I can't remember both MW and German were hurt and Peters was our only option - at RT. He came in, played admirably and started ever since. When MW came back healthy he was tried at LG to no avail and then he was benched.

MW benching wasn't the reason Peters go the start at RT. Remeber at the beginning of the season Peters was the backup LT; when MW got hurt the first time they brought in Greg Jerman to play RT and Peters never touched the field as they didn't want him learning a new position. But in a game I can't remember both MW and German were hurt and Peters was our only option - at RT. He came in, played admirably and started ever since. When MW came back healthy he was tried at LG to no avail and then he was benched.

650378[/snapback]

Part of it is that Jerman was worthless, he was worse than MW. but Yeah he did get hurt

Poor Jerman might have been the worst blocker I have ever seen. I liked Corey Hulsey at RG more than Jerman at RT, and I am not even kidding.  :doh:

650538[/snapback]

Agreed, I owuld have rather taken my chances with Coy wire at RT. Greg Jerman was so worthless, that he actually couldn't outplay bennie anderson :D