Sam Adams signs with Cincy

Dolphins | S. Adams talking to two teams; Miami not one of them

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:21:23 -0800

Greg A. Bedard, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free agent DT Sam Adams (Bills) is talking with two teams, but the Miami Dolphins are not one of them. Earlier reports said Adams was choosing between Miami and the Cincinnati Bengals.

Dolphins | S. Adams talking to two teams; Miami not one of them

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:21:23 -0800

Greg A. Bedard, of the Palm Beach Post, reports free agent DT Sam Adams (Bills) is talking with two teams, but the Miami Dolphins are not one of them. Earlier reports said Adams was choosing between Miami and the Cincinnati Bengals.

647267[/snapback]

He's late. Adam's agent called the B'gals a day or so after he was axed. The Marvin Lewis - Baltimore connection. In the interim, Adams said something along the lines of "I don't do visits". :blink:

If he signs with them, I'd speculate it would be cheaply - the B'gals were utter failures in run stopping last year, and Sam offers little there.

But I'll never say never. :P

Looks like the Keg signed with Cincy, his best days are behind him but he should help them as a rotational player...

Bengals | Team reaches agreement in principle with S. Adams

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:09:04 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Cincinnati Bengals have reached an agreement in principle with free agent DT Sam Adams (Bills) on an undisclosed contract. Financial details of the contract were not yet available, but sources said Adams can make about $4 million in 2006 if he reaches certain playing time and performance levels. The deal will likely not be signed until the weekend. There are still some details to be completed and it is believed the Bengals want Adams to take a physical exam before the deal is officially executed.

Bengals agree to contract with ex-Bill Adams

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Fortifying a position that represented one of their biggest needs, the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free-agent defensive tackle Sam Adams, who played the past three seasons with the Buffalo Bills.

Financial details of the contract were not yet available, but sources said Adams can make about $4 million in 2006 if he reaches certain playing time and performance levels. The deal will likely not be signed until the weekend. There are still some details to be completed and it is believed the Bengals want Adams to take a physical exam before the deal is officially executed.

A three-time Pro Bowl performer and the kind of "anchor" tackle who occupies blockers and allows the linebackers to flow to the football, Adams should represent a major addition for a Cincinnati defense that statistically ranked No. 20 against the rush in 2005. The Bengals have been looking for a wide-body tackle in free agency the last several years but were never able to sign one.

Under coach Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have surprisingly struggled against the run, finishing 25th in 2003 and 26th in 2004 against the ground game. The presence of Adams, long regarded as one of the NFL's premier inside defenders, should certainly help address that shortcoming. Adams was the No. 24 player overall in the ESPN.com free-agent rankings.

Adams, 32, will probably team with John Thornton in the starting lineup. That would leave veteran Bryan Robinson and promising youngster Shaun Smith in reserve and give the Bengals one of the deepest and best tackle rotations in the league.

A key for the Bengals will be to maximize Adams' effectiveness by limiting the number of snaps he plays. That should not be a problem, given that Lewis was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore when Adams helped the Ravens win Super Bowl XXXV in 2000.

The Bengals will be Adams' fifth team, as he previously played with Seattle (1994-99), Baltimore (2000-01), Oakland (2002) and Buffalo (2003-05). The former Texas A&M star has 375 tackles, 42 sacks, six forced fumbles, five recoveries, three interceptions and 32 pass deflections in 179 games.

His abilities against the run aside, Adams has demonstrated the ability to compress the pocket from the inside during his career. As recently as 2004, he registered five sacks, but the Bengals will rely on him primarily to clog the middle.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Funny -- I always thought Adams was the gap-shooter and Siragusa the run-stuffer in that Baltimore lineup, and that the idea of playing "anchor" (so other guys could make the big plays) was his primary source of frustration with the Buffalo coaching staff.

I wish him luck, of course... but I shudder at the thought of seeing his bulk shoehorned into one of those Halloween costumes the Bengals call "uniforms".

Fortifying a position that represented one of their biggest needs, the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday night reached a contract agreement in principle with unrestricted free-agent defensive tackle Sam Adams, who played the past three seasons with the Buffalo Bills.

Financial details of the contract were not yet available, but sources said Adams can make about $4 million in 2006 if he reaches certain playing time and performance levels. The deal will likely not be signed until the weekend. There are still some details to be completed and it is believed the Bengals want Adams to take a physical exam before the deal is officially executed.

A three-time Pro Bowl performer and the kind of "anchor" tackle who occupies blockers and allows the linebackers to flow to the football, Adams should represent a major addition for a Cincinnati defense that statistically ranked No. 20 against the rush in 2005. The Bengals have been looking for a wide-body tackle in free agency the last several years but were never able to sign one.

Under coach Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have surprisingly struggled against the run, finishing 25th in 2003 and 26th in 2004 against the ground game. The presence of Adams, long regarded as one of the NFL's premier inside defenders, should certainly help address that shortcoming. Adams was the No. 24 player overall in the ESPN.com free-agent rankings.

Adams, 32, will probably team with John Thornton in the starting lineup. That would leave veteran Bryan Robinson and promising youngster Shaun Smith in reserve and give the Bengals one of the deepest and best tackle rotations in the league.

A key for the Bengals will be to maximize Adams' effectiveness by limiting the number of snaps he plays. That should not be a problem, given that Lewis was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore when Adams helped the Ravens win Super Bowl XXXV in 2000.

The Bengals will be Adams' fifth team, as he previously played with Seattle (1994-99), Baltimore (2000-01), Oakland (2002) and Buffalo (2003-05). The former Texas A&M star has 375 tackles, 42 sacks, six forced fumbles, five recoveries, three interceptions and 32 pass deflections in 179 games.

His abilities against the run aside, Adams has demonstrated the ability to compress the pocket from the inside during his career. As recently as 2004, he registered five sacks, but the Bengals will rely on him primarily to clog the middle.

A three-time Pro Bowl performer and the kind of "anchor" tackle who occupies blockers and allows the linebackers to flow to the football,

647899[/snapback]

Um, good luck getting him to do that. He thinks he's a passrushing outside linebacker trapped in a rhino's body.

Um, good luck getting him to do that.  He thinks he's a passrushing outside linebacker trapped in a rhino's body.

647903[/snapback]

Hype works. The local sports talker on the Cincy channel I was watching Thursday evening bubbled about run-stopping while they showed a film of him going after a qb.

Marvin Lewis is starting to lose his shine, IMO. He's about run out of ex-'Skins and Ravens to acquire, is showing that maddening trait of letting his idiot OC abandon the run (and getting testy when he's called on it - where have we seen that before? :doh:) , and next season, the B'gals play the SB champs twice, five other playoff teams (NE, CAR, DEN, TB, and IND) and two near-misses (KC, SD).

Along with losing their last 3 games and with Palmer's busted knee, they're going to have a tough time next season.

Hype works. The local sports talker on the Cincy channel I was watching Thursday evening bubbled about run-stopping while they showed a film of him going after a qb.

Marvin Lewis is starting to lose his shine, IMO. He's about run out of ex-'Skins and Ravens to acquire, is showing that maddening trait of letting his idiot OC abandon the run (and getting testy when he's called on it - where have we seen that before?  :doh:) , and next season, the B'gals play the SB champs twice, five other playoff teams (NE, CAR, DEN, TB, and IND) and two near-misses (KC, SD).

Along with losing their last 3 games and with Palmer's busted knee, they're going to have a tough time next season.

648056[/snapback]

Interesting stuff about Lewis s i c.

This answers questions I had about Adams "wanting to stay" in Buffalo. Here, he could have made big money without the incentive clauses, and continued to argue with coaches and play a lazy game.

Milloy all but told us upon arrival that his interest in the Bills was money, and while I admire his honesty, players such as Adams, Milloy, and yes...Moulds, simply do not figure into the long term success of the Buffalo Bills.

Levy was not the best coach I ever saw, and he is old. I can easily relate to fans being skeptical about his hiring, but so far, he is leading this team as if he were a young man, because he is ridding us of declining veterans who, in the long run, would not do much to make this franchise a winner once again.

I admire what he has done so far. Now, we must hope that he doesn't screw up the draft, but after Parrish and Everrett, the only direction we can go would seem to be up.

Marvin Lewis is starting to lose his shine, IMO. He's about run out of ex-'Skins and Ravens to acquire...

648056[/snapback]

Marvin isn't a big one for signing free agents. Sam Adams is the only big name free agent signed unless you count Dexter Jackson who is from TB/Arizona. He builds his team by draft, not FA. He may find a cheap temp starter ex-Skin or Raven here and there but none of them can be attributed to the Benglas success.

Marvin isn't a big one for signing free agents.  Sam Adams is the only big name free agent signed unless you count Dexter Jackson who is from TB/Arizona.  He builds his team by draft, not FA.  He may find a cheap temp starter ex-Skin or Raven here and there but none of them can be attributed to the Benglas success.

648149[/snapback]

Marvin has acquired a few FA's that contribute. Starting DT John Thornton, RB Kenny Watson, the oft-injured S Kim Herring, starting G Bobbie Mitchell, backup G/C Larry Moore, K Shayne Graham, TE Tony Stewart, and MLB Nate Webster who they had high hopes for, but injuries did him in.

They also picked up starting CB Tory James the year before Lewis signed on, and traded for starting CB Delthea O'Neal.

They've been active, and have done fairly well with FA's and the O'Neal trade.

IIRC, they have 7 or 8 ex-Marvin players on the squad, and have had several more come and go.

Lewis very much wanted DT Corey Simon last year, but one thing about the B'gals - they will never push their cap space.

I still don't get this. I think Sam Adams is a great player and better than Ngata who we have thought about wasting #8 on. With Malurkey gone he could have been happier and had a great year. Maybe I'm missing something, but a big mistake letting him go in my mind.

Interesting stuff about Lewis s i c.

This answers questions I had about Adams "wanting to stay" in Buffalo. Here, he could have made big money without the incentive clauses, and continued to argue with coaches and play a lazy game.

Milloy all but told us upon arrival that his interest in the Bills was money, and while I admire his honesty, players such as Adams, Milloy, and yes...Moulds, simply do not figure into the long term success of the Buffalo Bills.

Levy was not the best coach I ever saw, and he is old. I can easily relate to fans being skeptical about his hiring, but so far, he is leading this team as if he were a young man, because he is ridding us of declining veterans who, in the long run, would not do much to make this franchise a winner once again.

I admire what he has done so far. Now, we must hope that he doesn't screw up the draft, but after Parrish and Everrett, the only direction we can go would seem to be up.

648105[/snapback]

It's pretty easy to imagine there was residual bad blood between Adams and the club. Oh well.

I'm more comfortable with Levy since MM moved on - that was an untenable situation IMO. And barring another jaw-dropper pick like Roscoe, WMG, and JP (where IS that on-your-keees-praying smiley? :doh: ), I've no reason to believe he won't have a good draft.

If not, we can execute him on May 1. :o