How long does it take?!?!

Fastro

After reading through a lot of different threads where Losman was bashed, put down, mocked, teased, disparaged, or disliked, I had a question that I would like to throw out to everyone. Just how long does it take for a young quarterback to develop?!? How many starts is a legitimate amount for a QB to show he has a grasp of what it takes to make it in the NFL? I mean we have all heard stories of how some QBs mature in their late 20s, or how some of found success in their later years when they have talent and a supporting cast around them. I am thinking not only of Losman but a QB like Carr. Its hard to complete a pass when you have a 300 lb linemen sitting on your chest 1.5 seconds after the ball is snapped. How do you know when to say when or when to allow the QB more time to turn potential and promise into decent QB play? Do we evaluate on numbers, wins or a combination of both?

Guest BackInDaDay

Carl Banks related his conversation with Dick Vermeil to Giants fans during a pre-game radio show. Eli Manning's developement was being discussed, and Banks said that Vermeil thought that until a QB prospect gets about 24 starts, his coaches won't know what he's got. Vermeil figured that in those 24 starts the QB will have seen enough NFL defenses to either start producing, or not.

After reading through a lot of different threads where Losman was bashed, put down, mocked, teased, disparaged, or disliked, I had a question that I would like to throw out to everyone.  Just how long does it take for a young quarterback to develop?!?  How many starts is a legitimate amount for a QB to show he has a grasp of what it takes to make it in the NFL?  I mean we have all heard stories of how some QBs mature in their late 20s, or how some of found success in their later years when they have talent and a supporting cast around them.  I am thinking not only of Losman but a QB like Carr.  Its hard to complete a pass when you have a 300 lb linemen sitting on your chest 1.5 seconds after the ball is snapped.  How do you know when to say when or when to allow the QB more time to turn potential and promise into decent QB play?  Do we evaluate on numbers, wins or a combination of both?

644601[/snapback]

I think each situation is different and unique. I remember Peyton Manning's rookie season. The Colts were 3-13 that year -- and Manning was a good part of the reason why they finished so poorly. But even so, you could still see that he possessed that "it" factor. He had an unquestioned confidence in himself -- and you knew that he would eventually get better.

In JP's case, I have my doubts based on what I did and didn't see out of him last year. I'm not so sure that he has that "it" factor. On the other hand, there were clearly mitigating circumstances. I mentioned Manning above. One thing that I will never forget is that the Colts went almost exclusively with mass protection formations, which usually meant that he only had one or two passing options with a bail-out valve to Faulk. While this may have led to his forcing the ball frequently, it prevented him from getting beaten to a pulp -- and fearing the sound of defenders' steps. Additionally, Manning had a pretty good line to begin with.

Our coaching staff severely handicapped JP last season by refusing to protect him at all costs -- and not placing him in the best situation to succeed. I don't think any of us have high expectations about this season. I'd really like to see the Bills start the season with a very conservative/mass-protect system. This may equate to boring football, but I think it will be the best test to see what we have in our young QB. We can give JP some time to develop and see how he perfroms when he doesn't have opposing defenders racing after him. If he can keep his eyes focused on his weapons -- rather than the defenders in his face -- maybe his completion percentage will increase. If he fails under these circumstance, then we know that we need to go in another direction.

More then 8 games is my answer

As long as you see progress, you keep going with that guy. JP started showing some progress late in the year, which is a good thing, I think giving a QB right out of college atleast 1-1/2 to 2 seasons of playing time before declaring him a bust if they have not shown signs of improvement. A QB that has been in the league for a couple of seasons behind a solid veteran (like Nall) I would give less time cause they have been able to watch and learn from someone so they should be a little quicker to pickup things on the field

Well, most of us, probably including the coaches as well, feel JP needs a full season of starting before you can begin to make any judgements. I feel he showed improvement in his 2nd stint when compared to his first 4 horrendous games.

BUT, there are a few posters on here who were obviously born with a natural eye for QB talent, and will tell you that they KNOW JP will be a bust after 8 starts. Why they arent coaching or scouting with all of their God-given talent and abilityis beyond me.

Guest BackInDaDay
A QB that has been in the league for a couple of seasons behind a solid veteran (like Nall) I would give less time cause they have been able to watch and learn from someone so they should be a little quicker to pickup things on the field

644656[/snapback]

You learn by doing, not watching. Outside of his NFLE experience, Nall is as raw as Losman.

I wouldn't teach my kid how to drive by having him watch from the sidewalk, and I wouldn't teach my QB how to play by having him watch from the sideline.

You learn by doing, not watching. Outside of his NFLE experience, Nall is as raw as Losman.

I wouldn't teach my kid how to drive by having him watch from the sidewalk, and I wouldn't teach my QB how to play by having him watch from the sideline.

644671[/snapback]

I understand what your saying, but there are more things to learn about being a QB then just being on the field. If a player has been on the bench watching for a year or 2 behind a QB like Favre, I am willing to bet he will step in and play alot better then if he was drafted that year and dropped in during the first game or after only the first couple of games.

Using your analogy of learning to drive, you wouldn't just throw your kid behind the wheel and expect him to be able to drive

I think you have to look for progression, and as JP got 4 more starts late in the year...I really didn't see much. Some people like to point out the 3 td's in the first quarter against Miami...but what about the other 3 quarters?!? What about the 2nd New England game when he was absolutely terrible? He looks scared behind center, and lost when the ball is snapped. I just don't have a good feeling about him...I know that doesn't mean much but ehhhhh it's my opinion.

2003 Contenders - Great post!