This ought to generate some controversy

TPS

"Silencing skeptics by organizing blacklists and boycotts -- or by suggesting that critics are anti-Semites -- violates the principle of open debate on which democracy depends," Walt and Mearsheimer write.

When its a minority-centric left leaning group pulling this type of sh-- to forqward their agenda, it goes unnoticed as Status Quo and even validated by the media. But becuase a more-right leaning group is taking this tact....a JEWISH right-leaning group, its suddenly a problem.

Shocker.

Makes one wonder what the actual journal article says. 

Because UPI's report on it reads like so much "It's the Jews' fault!" crap.  However, I blame that strictly on UPI.

637760[/snapback]

the article

Found it with a quick google. Haven't read it yet. Will do so now.

When its a minority-centric left leaning group pulling this type of sh-- to forqward their agenda, it goes unnoticed as Status Quo and even validated by the media. But becuase a more-right leaning group is taking this tact....a JEWISH right-leaning group, its suddenly a problem.

Shocker.

637788[/snapback]

Why do you consider AIPAC a "right-leaning group"?

Shocker.

637788[/snapback]

Why don't you address the issue instead of coming up with reasons to avoid it. That criticism

"Silencing skeptics by organizing blacklists and boycotts -- or by suggesting that critics are anti-Semites -- violates the principle of open debate on which democracy depends"

has much validity based on the typical arguments many posters to this very board take regarding anyone who dares question the value of our relationship with Israel.

Why don't you address the issue instead of coming up with reasons to avoid it.  That criticism

"Silencing skeptics by organizing blacklists and boycotts -- or by suggesting that critics are anti-Semites -- violates the principle of open debate on which democracy depends"

has much validity based on the typical arguments many posters to this very board take regarding anyone who dares question the value of our relationship with Israel.

637975[/snapback]

And as much validity based on the typical arguments many people take regarding racism and political correctness. That practice ain't exactly exclusive to the Jews...it's just less tolerated in them. Jesse Jackson and his ilk gets away with just that on a daily basis.

(As do many others. Jesse's posse is just the most convenient and obvious example I could think of.)

And as much validity based on the typical arguments many people take regarding racism and political correctness.  That practice ain't exactly exclusive to the Jews...it's just less tolerated in them.  Jesse Jackson and his ilk gets away with just that on a daily basis.

(As do many others.  Jesse's posse is just the most convenient and obvious example I could think of.)

637995[/snapback]

Its been my experience on this board that people who claim to be Jewish rarely engage in this behavior. In fact I can't think of a single Jewish person on this board who has done this, which makes the practice particularly perplexing.

And as much validity based on the typical arguments many people take regarding racism and political correctness.  That practice ain't exactly exclusive to the Jews...it's just less tolerated in them.  Jesse Jackson and his ilk gets away with just that on a daily basis.

(As do many others.  Jesse's posse is just the most convenient and obvious example I could think of.)

637995[/snapback]

Funny....some 'idiot' said the same thing a few posts up.

Why don't you address the issue instead of coming up with reasons to avoid it.  That criticism

637975[/snapback]

I dont see that. I dont see anyone called an anti-Semite when they bash the U.S.' relationship with Israel. What I do see is a lot of people, myself included, saying its typical for lots of folks to "blame the Jews" as a fallback.

1) Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

2) You didn't find a nut.  There's a difference between noting that the practice is common, and justifying it with "Well, THEY do it too!"

638491[/snapback]

Saying "they do it too" is....by nature....NOTING THAT THE PRACTICE IS COMMON.

So basically, weve learned today that its not whats said, its how its said.

Ya gotta love getting debate/posting instructions from someone who uses "Im right because youre an idiot" as the basis for everything he puts forth, even when he agrees with you.

I dont see that. I dont see anyone called an anti-Semite when they bash the U.S.' relationship with Israel. What I do see is a lot of people, myself included, saying its typical for lots of folks to "blame the Jews" as a fallback.

638490[/snapback]

Really? I see many of you people substituting "blame the Jews" for criticism of Israel or our relationship with Israel.

Any comments on the article? Or are you just going to use the typical "well the otherside gets away with it" tripe to ingore a serious issue?

Saying "they do it too" is....by nature....NOTING THAT THE PRACTICE IS COMMON.

So basically, weve learned today that its not whats said, its how its said.

638501[/snapback]

So why don't you be a big boy and comment on what was actually said?

I still think ALL lobying needs to go away. I still can't seperate it from bribery, in my mind.

637799[/snapback]

What aspects of lobbying are you opposed too?

1) Contacting elected represenatives and letting them know how you feel about an issue.

2) Campaign contributions.

3) Junketts for Congressmen.

Or are there other aspects that I haven't covered?

What aspects of lobbying are you opposed too? 

1)  Contacting elected represenatives and letting them know how you feel about an issue.

No, but I don't consider this professional lobbying. I also don't care if special interests give their thoughts on an issue. I am opposed to heavily financed organized campaigns by said interests. I can't affect a Congressperson to vote my way only on something. UNOCAL shouldn't be able to either.

2)  Campaign contributions.

No, but I'd like to see this fixed. Just have no idea how. It takes money to buy TV time to get elected. Someone who wants to run that isn't already a millionaire (and we have too many of those) can't compete. I don't know why you put contributions in here anyway, this is a case of the elected doing the lobbying in many cases, to drum up funds. I wish they would legislate more, and raise money less.

3)  Junketts for Congressmen.

Absolutely. Relates to number one, and is bribery in all but name.

Or are there other aspects that I haven't covered?

638588[/snapback]