And hopefully, many of these Clinton Era promotions have been replaced by now.

636782[/snapback]

Given Bush's choices of his running mate, Rummy, Wolfowitz, Perle, Faithe etc we've just replaced one set of incompetents with a bunch of incompetents who happen to be zealots.

Given Bush's choices of his running mate, Rummy, Wolfowitz, Perle, Faithe etc we've just replaced one set of incompetents with a bunch of incompetents who happen to be zealots.

636796[/snapback]

Not so much "replacements". You are talking about appointees, who have political agendas no matter who or what they are. The "bad guys" in this instance in most cases worked into the department head spots under the Clinton Justice department, probably under the Senior Executive Service program - which is civil service. I was just trying to pre-empt whatever Bush Bad Promo was going to start, because that's the only reason he ever comes around and frankly, the good guy - bad guy sh-- is getting old.

Not so much "replacements". You are talking about appointees, who have political agendas no matter who or what they are. The "bad guys" in this instance in most cases worked into the department head spots under the Clinton Justice department, probably under the Senior Executive Service program - which is civil service. I was just trying to pre-empt whatever Bush Bad Promo was going to start, because that's the only reason he ever comes around and frankly, the good guy - bad guy sh-- is getting old.

636808[/snapback]

One would figure to ask a question of how Bush admin would have been able to replace all the heads of the sub-departments and all the mid level agents in only 8 months to allow 9/11 to happen. Apparenly, they infiltrated every critical anti-terrorist team, except the one headed by Richard Clarke.

636808[/snapback]

So your line is Clinton Bad!

Thanks for the distinction. :devil:

So your line is Clinton Bad!

Thanks for the distinction.  :devil:

637052[/snapback]

No, try reading. You and I both know the only reason PTR put that there was to start a "Bush Bad" thread. I pointed out that the people involved weren't "Bush" people, but promoted through the Civil Service system probably under the Clinton administration. The time frames fit right. At that level, it could have been Mickey Mouse as President and people still move, down and around Government. It is also likely, that those getting brought up the line have mentors above them and are more likely to get to be department heads if they are following the overall program. In other words, somebody constantly bad mouthing Janet Reno was not likely to get the slot over someone who wasn't. That's just the way things are, and I figured you knew that.

The part highlighted is why I took the tone I did.

I see that several posters seem to possess ESP! I posted that link without comment because I wanted to see what the reaction would be. I did not want to color people's responses by saying anyting.

The story was about the failure to act on information that could have prevented 9/11. No mention of Bush. But the reflex was this was a "Bush bad" thread.

Maybe it's my reputation on this board preceded me, making it impossible for me to say or post anything without Bib accusing me of an agenda. But I find it telling that it's more important to some folks here to pin blame on Clinton, or defend Bush, than to react to the utter calamity that a mid-level FBI bureaucrat could have prevented this nation's worst disaster if he simply paid attention.

That's not politics...it's just sad...not blaming anyone, Bib...just refelcting on how close we came to preventing tragedy.

PTR

I see that several posters seem to possess ESP!  I posted that link without comment because I wanted to see what the reaction would be.  I did not want to color people's responses by saying anyting.

The story was about the failure to act on information that could have prevented 9/11.  No mention of Bush.  But the reflex was this was a "Bush bad" thread.

Maybe it's my reputation on this board preceded me, making it impossible for me to say or post anything without Bib accusing me of an agenda.  But I find it telling that it's more important to some folks here to pin blame on Clinton, or defend Bush, than to react to the utter calamity that a mid-level FBI bureaucrat could have prevented this nation's worst disaster if he simply paid attention.

That's not politics...it's just sad...not blaming anyone, Bib...just refelcting on how close we came to preventing tragedy.

PTR

638120[/snapback]

Oh, I agree Promo. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. But, yeah you're right. Your reputation preceeds you and like I said, I'm tired of ___ is bad. I don't (and can't) keep you from saying anything, and I've never pre-empted you before. Neither would I want to. So "saying anything" is unwarranted. And you could have put the "reacting to the calamity" statement up front to show a lack of the bias you have demonstrated before.

That said, everything looks bad in hindsight. Maybe some things are just fate? We can pick virtually any direction changing moment in history, and find plenty of mistakes. Now, the whole damn world has gotten so complicated that there are probably going to be even more mistakes. The events of 9/11 shocked a lot of people out of their complacence and apathy. A lot got changed, probably too quickly. Now, people are already becoming complacent in some of the new systems. Sadly, that's the nature of the federal government. The ideas behind creating new agencies, sharing intelligence, proactive foreign policy, etc. may be nice - but once a new department gets formed, government goes back to being itself and all the happy little workers nudge each other for their space in the new kingdom, and things become routine again. Once the bad guys figure we have settled into a nice new routine, they will pull their next major stunt. I think there are a few people who think deeply enough to see that as I know things are going on to disrupt things at their source. A few years from now? I don't know.

Shake the little globe, with the snowman in it. The plastic snow drifts down, but always ends up on the bottom, eventually. Things usually find their center of gravity. Sometimes it takes a few years for the snow to settle.