Might Marv get a Harvard QB?

Just thinking out loud about how some of the QB movement around the league might affect the Bills bringing in someone to compete for the job...now that Frerotte has signed with the Rams, I wonder if they might someday cut loose Ryan Fitzpatrick (former Harvard QB).

Given the connections to the Ivy league and Fairchild, I would think the Bills would scoop him up. I know odds are he will be the Rams' 3rd QB, behind Bulger and Frerotte, but it's worth some thought...in fact if we lose out on Wells, it might even be worth a late round pick in a trade if Fairchild believes in the kid and he fits the new offense well.

The other place I was looking was the Lions. With the recent signing of McCown, they now have 5 QBs on the roster:

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

We know Harrington is gone, and we also know we don't want him, and think we know that Jauron doesn't want him either, given he generally played Garcia over him when he was there. But what aobut King and Orlovsky (particularly Orlovsky)? If the Lions keep 3 Qbs, one of them is going to get cut, and Jauron might find Orlovsky interesting. I thought he showed some flashes last year for a rookie.

NOTE: I am a JP supporter; think he deserves another chance, but it never hurts to bring in some competition with upside.

Thoughts?

Just thinking out loud about how some of the QB movement around the league might affect the Bills bringing in someone to compete for the job...now that Frerotte has signed with the Rams, I wonder if they might someday cut loose Ryan Fitzpatrick (former Harvard QB).

Given the connections to the Ivy league and Fairchild, I would think the Bills would scoop him up.  I know odds are he will be the Rams' 3rd QB, behind Bulger and Frerotte, but it's worth some thought...in fact if we lose out on Wells, it might even be worth a late round pick in a trade if Fairchild believes in the kid and he fits the new offense well.

The other place I was looking was the Lions.  With the recent signing of McCown, they now have 5 QBs on the roster:

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

We know Harrington is gone, and we also know we don't want him, and think we know that Jauron doesn't want him either, given he generally played Garcia over him when he was there.  But what aobut King and Orlovsky (particularly Orlovsky)?  If the Lions keep 3 Qbs, one of them is going to get cut, and Jauron might find Orlovsky interesting.  I thought he showed some flashes last year for a rookie.

NOTE: I am a JP supporter; think he deserves another chance, but it never hurts to bring in some competition with upside.

Thoughts?

634397[/snapback]

i doubt it. but maybe. if so, he won't be available until the summer as a preseason cut.

Given the connections to the Ivy league and Fairchild, I would think the Bills would scoop him up.  I know odds are he will be the Rams' 3rd QB, behind Bulger and Frerotte, but it's worth some thought...in fact if we lose out on Wells, it might even be worth a late round pick in a trade if Fairchild believes in the kid and he fits the new offense well.

The other place I was looking was the Lions.  With the recent signing of McCown, they now have 5 QBs on the roster:

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

We know Harrington is gone, and we also know we don't want him, and think we know that Jauron doesn't want him either, given he generally played Garcia over him when he was there.  But what aobut King and Orlovsky (particularly Orlovsky)?  If the Lions keep 3 Qbs, one of them is going to get cut, and Jauron might find Orlovsky interesting.  I thought he showed some flashes last year for a rookie.

Thoughts?

634397[/snapback]

I think Levy's "Ivy League" connections are overblown.

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

Thoughts?

634397[/snapback]

As for Orlovsky, I'm a bit of a homer, don't you know. He's got decent arm strength, can move around in the pocket. In a preseason game I caught last year, the Lions QBs were doing nothing until he came in in the late 2nd after someone got hurt and he led two TD drives and was putting the ball where it needed to be.

Doubtful that he's the one who gets the ax, as they were pleased with his progress. I think he'll develop into a quality backup and I hope he gets a chance to start somewhere. As it stands, it'll probably be a Kitna-McCown-DanO line-up for them. I wouldn't touch the other two with a 23 1/2 foot pole.

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

Thoughts?

634397[/snapback]

INDUBITABLY! :devil:

McCown

Kitna

Shaun King

Harrington

Dan Orlovsky

Thoughts?

634397[/snapback]

I, too, am a JP fan, and I think with a better offensive line, better coaching and play calling, and the receiver corps that the Bills are assembling (Moulds, Evans, Davis, Reed, Parish, Everett, Royal, etc.), JP has a great chance to come into his own this Fall.

We need to address the O-Line for JP and the Bills to have a chance at success - so if we're talkin' Ivy League prospects, I like Kevin Boothe out of Cornell (Go Big Red!) as maybe a Day-2 guy in the draft?

I also wouldn't mind if Jauron goes to his Yale roots and takes a look at Jeff Mroz in the late rounds, as a developmental QB prospect. I love the guy's size, and he could probably 'ace' the Wonderlic...

Ivy League Prospects

Actually, it could be interesting if the Bills brought Harrington in for a look - or to throw into the competitive mix - but I don't think it's in the works either.

As for Orlovsky, I'm a bit of a homer, don't you know. He's got decent arm strength, can move around in the pocket. In a preseason game I caught last year, the Lions QBs were doing nothing until he came in in the late 2nd after someone got hurt and he led two TD drives and was putting the ball where it needed to be.

Doubtful that he's the one who gets the ax, as they were pleased with his progress. I think he'll develop into a quality backup and I hope he gets a chance to start somewhere. As it stands, it'll probably be a Kitna-McCown-DanO line-up for them. I wouldn't touch the other two with a 23 1/2 foot pole.

634448[/snapback]

If Orlovsky gets the axe...I'd snatch him up in a minute. I think he can really turn into something in this league after a few years....kinda like Marc Bulger who rode the pine in ST. Louis for a while.

I like Fitzpatrick as well, but like Orlovsky its gonna take time before he is ready to really make a difference. since we already have at least one Work in Progress QB and another Constant Road Work Ahead QB I dont see this year as the year to pick up another QB project.