OT:The breakdown

BF_in_Indiana

Here are the important stats through today for these teams as we head to the postseason. I will state what I think they mean at the end.

Batting Average

Red Sox- .282

Cardinals- .277

Yankees- .270

In the AL you should be expected to have a higher team batting average due to the fact that the pitchers don't hit like they do in the NL. The fact that St. Louis is .07 points ahead of NY and just .05 points behind Boston points to St. Louis having a slight edge over these two teams in hitting. I would say a bigger margain over the Yankees then the Sox in this regard, but Boston is clearly better then NY hitting .12 points higher then NY.

Runs Scored

Red Sox- 893

Yankees- 872

Cardinals- 818

Runs can be a misleading stat. Clearly the Red Sox and Yankees have produced more runs and are very close themselves in this department but this can be a little misleading on two counts. In the NL the pitcher hits while the AL has a DH. This may also mean you have had a few nights with very high run totals to inflate those stats. It may also mean St. Louis has won a lot more close ballgames then the other two clubs have which is a little more valuable come postseason time. I would still give the run producing edge to the Red Sox and Yankees though.

Home Runs

Yankees- 234

Red Sox- 211

Cardinals- 209

Home runs in relation to runs scored says a lot about your team. The Yankees have the most homers yet only the second fewest runs. St. Louis has the fewest and the fewest runs while Boston has the second most and the most runs scored. This says Boston is better at producing runs without the longball then the other two clubs are. That bodes well in the postseason. The edge here goes to the Red Sox.

Stolen Bases

Cardinals- 107

Red Sox- 65

Yankees- 56

This also goes into the run production department. St. Louis is the clear winner here. This helps make up for the smaller run total as you aren't always looking for a long ball to make runs. The edge here goes to the Cardinals followed by Boston.

ERA

Cardinals- 3.69

Red Sox- 4.17

Yankees- 4.70

The Cardinals play in the NL so this is a tad misleading as well. The Yankees clearly get the worst of it here surrending a run more a game then St. Louis and a half a run a game more then Boston. I give the edge to St. Louis by a small margain over Boston but both are clearly better then the Yankees.

Complete Games

Boston- 4

Cardinals- 4

Yankees- 1

Complete games say quality pitching from your starters which is what you want. The Yankees have only one complete game while the Cards and Sox have 4 each. Those two even out here while the Yankees come up short.

Saves

Yankees- 56

Cardinals- 55

Red Sox- 33

Saves say a lot about your bullpen. The Cardinals and Yankees clearly have better bullpens then Boston which is crucial in October. I give the edge to NY here with Rivera. They can make it a 7 inning game if they get up on you. Boston is clearly last in this department.

I give the edge to St. Louis in four of those categories, the Red Sox 3, and the Yankees 2. The Yankees get one extra point for thier 97 wins and probable division title giving them homefield int he playoffs. St. Louis gets an extra point also. So my final tally is St. Louis 5 points, Boston 3, and NY 3.

I say it's a tossup between NY and Boston in the A.L with the winner playing St. Louis. It's about as objective as I can get here.

Very good information. Anything can happen. I would say the Cardinals are the favorite but if San Francisco gets the Wild Card over the Cubs they could beat them in a 5 game series. Although Bonds is just one player, he is incredible and Jason Schmit is a very good pitcher.

In the American League I agree with the Boston vs. New York series in the ALCS.

Finally the winner of the World Series- New York Yankees

BF, I think it's very interesting that you choose to compare your NL team with two powerhouses in the AL. It's totally different. You can't compare half those stats because the DH and having pitchers hit makes a large difference. Also, I find it very amusing that you seem to think you're going to walk to the World Series. You may have won a bunch of games but that doesn't mean stevestojan in October. :devil:

well of course you give the edge to the cardinals, you make excuses in a couple of cases as to why the sox and yanks SHOULD have higher stats. You are mkaing justifications and excuses for your team and blowing off the stats that the yankees and sox do lead in. I could make the same arguments you make, substituting the Bills, Colts and Packers and come up with a reason that the bills are the best team out there

Here are the important stats through today for these teams as we head to the postseason.  I will state what I think they mean at the end.

Batting Average

Red Sox- .282

Cardinals- .277

Yankees- .270

In the AL you should be expected to have a higher team batting average due to the fact that the pitchers don't hit like they do in the NL.  The fact that St. Louis is .07 points ahead of NY and just .05 points behind Boston points to St. Louis having a slight edge over these two teams in hitting.  I would say a bigger margain over the Yankees then the Sox in this regard, but Boston is clearly better then NY hitting .12 points higher then NY.

Runs Scored

Red Sox- 893

Yankees- 872

Cardinals- 818

Runs can be a misleading stat.  Clearly the Red Sox and Yankees have produced more runs and are very close themselves in this department but this can be a little misleading on two counts.  In the NL the pitcher hits while the AL has a DH.  This may also mean you have had a few nights with very high run totals to inflate those stats.  It may also mean St. Louis has won a lot more close ballgames then the other two clubs have which is a little more valuable come postseason time.  I would still give the run producing edge to the Red Sox and Yankees though.

Home Runs

Yankees- 234

Red Sox- 211

Cardinals- 209

Home runs in relation to runs scored says a lot about your team.  The Yankees have the most homers yet only the second fewest runs.  St. Louis has the fewest and the fewest runs while Boston has the second most and the most runs scored.  This says Boston is better at producing runs without the longball then the other two clubs are.  That bodes well in the postseason.  The edge here goes to the Red Sox.

Stolen Bases

Cardinals- 107

Red Sox- 65

Yankees- 56

This also goes into the run production department.  St. Louis is the clear winner here.  This helps make up for the smaller run total as you aren't always looking for a long ball to make runs.  The edge here goes to the Cardinals followed by Boston.

ERA

Cardinals- 3.69

Red Sox- 4.17

Yankees- 4.70

The Cardinals play in the NL so this is a tad misleading as well.  The Yankees clearly get the worst of it here surrending a run more a game then St. Louis and a half a run a game more then Boston.  I give the edge to St. Louis by a small margain over Boston but both are clearly better then the Yankees.

Complete Games

Boston- 4

Cardinals- 4

Yankees- 1

Complete games say quality pitching from your starters which is what you want.  The Yankees have only one complete game while the Cards and Sox have 4 each.  Those two even out here while the Yankees come up short.

Saves

Yankees- 56

Cardinals- 55

Red Sox- 33

Saves say a lot about your bullpen.  The Cardinals and Yankees clearly have better bullpens then Boston which is crucial in October.  I give the edge to NY here with Rivera.  They can make it a 7 inning game if they get up on you.  Boston is clearly last in this department.

I give the edge to St. Louis in four of those categories, the Red Sox 3, and the Yankees 2.  The Yankees get one extra point for thier 97 wins and probable division title giving them homefield int he playoffs.  St. Louis gets an extra point also.  So my final tally is St. Louis 5 points, Boston 3, and NY 3.

I say it's a tossup between NY and Boston in the A.L with the winner playing St. Louis.  It's about as objective as I can get here.

46439[/snapback]

There are going to be five other teams in the playoffs. Let's go back four years and see how the teams with the best records ended up.

-------

.623 Yanks lost to Fish in WS

.621 Braves lost to Cubs in first round

.621 SF Giants lost to Fish in First round

Fish...WC entry win the WS

------

.640 Yanks loses to Anaheim in first round

.636 Oakland loses to Twins in first round

.631 Atlanta loses to Giants in first round

Angels....WC entry wins WS

------

.716 Seattle loses to Yanks second round

.594 Yanks lose to Dbacks in WS

.574 Asstros lose to Braves in first round

The WS winner Dbacks were the Second seed in the NL

2000- SF Giants had best record in ML; lost to Mets in first round

My point is that not once in the last four years has a team with the best regular season winning percentage won the World Series.

Take for instance the fact that Braves ERA is 3.71. A .02 difference between our staffs.

Also take in to account the Braves OBP is .344 to your .345. A .001 difference.

There are going to be five other teams in the playoffs. Let's go back four years and see how the teams with the best records ended up.

-------

------

------

My point is that not once in the last four years has a team with the best regular season winning percentage won the World Series.

Take for instance the fact that Braves ERA is 3.71. A .02 difference between our staffs.

47017[/snapback]

Good post. Like I posted earlier, BF seems to be overlooking all the NL playoff teams. Good luck to the Braves. I always pull for you guys in the NL since you can't ever seem to beat the Yanks when it counts. :) J/K But really, good luck to you. The Yankees are going to have more than their work cut out for them, especially with their starting rotation but I think we'll be ok.

-------

------

------

47017[/snapback]

Good post. Like I posted earlier, BF seems to be overlooking all the NL playoff teams. Good luck to the Braves. I always pull for you guys in the NL since you can't ever seem to beat the Yanks when it counts. :) J/K But really, good luck to you. The Yankees are going to have more than their work cut out for them, especially with their starting rotation but I think we'll be ok.

Here are the important stats through today for these teams as we head to the postseason.  I will state what I think they mean at the end.

Batting Average

Red Sox- .282

Cardinals- .277

Yankees- .270

In the AL you should be expected to have a higher team batting average due to the fact that the pitchers don't hit like they do in the NL.  The fact that St. Louis is .07 points ahead of NY and just .05 points behind Boston points to St. Louis having a slight edge over these two teams in hitting.  I would say a bigger margain over the Yankees then the Sox in this regard, but Boston is clearly better then NY hitting .12 points higher then NY.

Runs Scored

Red Sox- 893

Yankees- 872

Cardinals- 818

Runs can be a misleading stat.  Clearly the Red Sox and Yankees have produced more runs and are very close themselves in this department but this can be a little misleading on two counts.  In the NL the pitcher hits while the AL has a DH.  This may also mean you have had a few nights with very high run totals to inflate those stats.  It may also mean St. Louis has won a lot more close ballgames then the other two clubs have which is a little more valuable come postseason time.  I would still give the run producing edge to the Red Sox and Yankees though.

Home Runs

Yankees- 234

Red Sox- 211

Cardinals- 209

Home runs in relation to runs scored says a lot about your team.  The Yankees have the most homers yet only the second fewest runs.  St. Louis has the fewest and the fewest runs while Boston has the second most and the most runs scored.  This says Boston is better at producing runs without the longball then the other two clubs are.  That bodes well in the postseason.  The edge here goes to the Red Sox.

Stolen Bases

Cardinals- 107

Red Sox- 65

Yankees- 56

This also goes into the run production department.  St. Louis is the clear winner here.  This helps make up for the smaller run total as you aren't always looking for a long ball to make runs.  The edge here goes to the Cardinals followed by Boston.

ERA

Cardinals- 3.69

Red Sox- 4.17

Yankees- 4.70

The Cardinals play in the NL so this is a tad misleading as well.  The Yankees clearly get the worst of it here surrending a run more a game then St. Louis and a half a run a game more then Boston.  I give the edge to St. Louis by a small margain over Boston but both are clearly better then the Yankees.

Complete Games

Boston- 4

Cardinals- 4

Yankees- 1

Complete games say quality pitching from your starters which is what you want.  The Yankees have only one complete game while the Cards and Sox have 4 each.  Those two even out here while the Yankees come up short.

Saves

Yankees- 56

Cardinals- 55

Red Sox- 33

Saves say a lot about your bullpen.  The Cardinals and Yankees clearly have better bullpens then Boston which is crucial in October.  I give the edge to NY here with Rivera.  They can make it a 7 inning game if they get up on you.  Boston is clearly last in this department.

I give the edge to St. Louis in four of those categories, the Red Sox 3, and the Yankees 2.  The Yankees get one extra point for thier 97 wins and probable division title giving them homefield int he playoffs.  St. Louis gets an extra point also.  So my final tally is St. Louis 5 points, Boston 3, and NY 3.

I say it's a tossup between NY and Boston in the A.L with the winner playing St. Louis.  It's about as objective as I can get here.

46439[/snapback]

I can't really stomach baseball anymore, but this is hilarious. You are making excuses for the the Cardinals in some cases. And perhaps the biggest data missing is that the Cardinals play 54 games a year against Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati, which is a joke. Boston, New York, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Toronto would all finish above those teams easily.

I'm a Pirates fan, and I usually root for the NL, but damn you are making it hard to root for the Cards this year. Usually people who try to justify something so hard, do so because they are also trying to convince themselves.

Relax man, your setting yourself up for a big fall.

Two things.

I wasn't overlooking the teams in the NL. I was just comparing my team to the two that we hear about here everyday.

I get someone telling me that you shouldn't compare stats in the AL and NL because of DH, and then I'm told I made excuses for St. Louis even though the only thing I would say is that the AL should have better hitting numbers yet St. Louis is very close in all catagories.

My honest opinion is that we run over the NL........call it overlooking, I call it confidence.

I can't really stomach baseball anymore, but this is hilarious.  You are making excuses for the the Cardinals in some cases.  And perhaps the biggest data missing is that the Cardinals play 54 games a year against Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati, which is a joke.  Boston, New York, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Toronto would all finish above those teams easily.

I'm a Pirates fan, and I usually root for the NL, but damn you are making it hard to root for the Cards this year.  Usually people who try to justify something so hard, do so because they are also trying to convince themselves.

Relax man, your setting yourself up for a big fall.

47046[/snapback]

That's not exactly true. The Pirates are playing pretty decent ball this year and so were the Red until Griffey went out. Tampa Bay and Toronto are horrible.

I'm not saying one division is better then the other but to say Tampa Bay and Toronto are better then the NL Central teams is a joke.

I don't have time to do the research, but how many times has LaRussa taken a team to the playoffs without winning the World Series, or even making it?

If I recall right, he's taken the Cardinals to the playoffs four times already without a WS appearance. He took the White Sox to the ALCS in 1983 and lost to Baltimore. He did have four playoff teams in Oakland that resulted in three pennants -- but only one title, when most people feel that 1988-90 squad had the talent to win all three Series. Yet they got punked in both 1988 and 1990, winning only one game.

By my count LaRussa has three pennant winners and one Series champ out of nine playoff teams. And those three pennant winners came from an absolute juggernaut of a squad. The offense had Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Carney Lansford, Rickey Henderson, Dave Parker and Dave Henderson, while the pitching staff was anchored by Dave Stewart, Mike Moore and Bob Welch plus it had a Hall of Fame closer in Dennis Eckersley.

I'm pulling for the Cardinals, BF -- but before you start comparing them to the Yanks and Red Sox, you'd better take a closer look at how they stack up against the Braves, Dodgers, Giants and/or Cubs. I'd be nervous knowing that LaRussa has had four shots with the Cardinals already and hasn't been able to close the deal.

Two things.

I wasn't overlooking the teams in the NL.  I was just comparing my team to the two that we hear about here everyday. 

I get someone telling me that you shouldn't compare stats in the AL and NL because of DH, and then I'm told I made excuses for St. Louis even though the only thing I would say is that the AL should have better hitting numbers yet St. Louis is very close in all catagories.

My honest opinion is that we run over the NL........call it overlooking, I call it confidence.

47049[/snapback]

How do you say that you aren't overlooking the teams in the NL in one breath and then say that you will "run over the NL" in the other? Your team will be like a "softcore porn"......all the buildup but NO MONEY SHOT!! :)

How do you say that you aren't overlooking the teams in the NL in one breath and then say that you will "run over the NL" in the other? Your team will be like a "softcore porn"......all the buildup but NO MONEY SHOT!!  :)

47062[/snapback]

I think we will. That's not overlooking them, I know they are good teams or they wouldn't have stuck out over 162 games.........doesn't mean I don't think we run them over though. That's just the confidence I have in MY team.

I think we will.  That's not overlooking them, I know they are good teams or they wouldn't have stuck out over 162 games.........doesn't mean I don't think we run them over though.  That's just the confidence I have in MY team.

47072[/snapback]

I'm confident in my team as well. I truly believe that we'll be in the series again this year but I'm realistic enough to know that our starting rotation is struggling and we will have to put up some monster offensive numbers in the playoffs. I have all the confidence in the world in Joe Torre and my Yankees.

I think we will.  That's not overlooking them, I know they are good teams or they wouldn't have stuck out over 162 games.........doesn't mean I don't think we run them over though.  That's just the confidence I have in MY team.

47072[/snapback]

Just to let you know..you are 10x more annoying than any Bosox or Yanks fan on this board....if you think Matt Morris, Jeff Suppan, Cris Carpenter and Woody Williams will roll over playoff caliber teams you are nuts....

That's not exactly true.  The Pirates are playing pretty decent ball this year and so were the Red until Griffey went out.  Tampa Bay and Toronto are horrible.

I'm not saying one division is better then the other but to say Tampa Bay and Toronto are better then the NL Central teams is a joke.

47052[/snapback]

Let's see here.....the Pirates are boasting their ace pitcher with an ERA of 4.55 (Kip Wells). Followed by their #2 with a 4.75 (Josh Fogg). Then you have their #3 with an ERA of 6.68 (Ryan Vogelsong), in 27 starts, followed by a formiddable #4 at 5.02 (Sean Burnett) or 6.91 (John Ben Schoten), depending on who you pick, and then Oliver Perez, who is a Randy Johnson in the waiting, until he becomes a free agent and the Yankees buy him.

Trying to wonder why I'm even getting involved in this but there's more. The Pirates are 11th in the NL in hitting, the Reds are 13th, and Brewers are 15th.

In pitching the Brewers are 9th in the NL, the Pirates 13th and the Reds 15th.

Tampa and probably Toronto are both better than all three of the NL central teams. And if in another division, Tampa would be much closer to .500. Toronto probably not.

Fact is, you play 54 games against three of the worst teams and organizations in pro baseball. Don't get quite so giddy.

Just to let you know..you are 10x more annoying than any Bosox or Yanks fan on this board....if you think Matt Morris, Jeff Suppan, Cris Carpenter and Woody Williams will roll over playoff caliber teams you are nuts....

47082[/snapback]

That's good to know. I can enjoy my day now Tater!!!!

With this baseball stuff that's what I'm aiming for......to annoy the Red Sox and Yankees fans worse then they annoy me.

That's good to know.  I can enjoy my day now Tater!!!!

With this baseball stuff that's what I'm aiming for......to annoy the Red Sox and Yankees fans worse then they annoy me.

47112[/snapback]

Not possible. Nobody is more annoying than a Yankee fan.