NFL Draft- Opinions change so fast

Jim Kelly was not Marv's "own guy," remember that?  Marv inherited him, as Jimbo finally came to play after a couple USFL years.  Then, it was a couple more years before the team made the playoffs.  But let's forget all that because Losman wasn't great after 8 games.  Let's not bother to try for greatness.  Let's just get good enough to go exactly nowhere, 1 or 2 first-round playoff exits if we're lucky.

631853[/snapback]

I like jp but what do I know. I dont think marv has to have his own guy in there but im sure he has to think the guy is good or will be good. Im not sure jp=jk.

I like jp but what do I know.  I dont think marv has to have his own guy in there but im sure he has to think the guy is good or will be good.  Im not sure jp=jk.

631878[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm not responding explicitly to your post there, except to point out Jimbo had a lot of time to learn and he STILL made some bonehead decisions, even in his prime. Yet he's an all-time great Bill. I suppose people were less forgiving of him early on as well, but I just don't see a good reason to throw JP under the bus just yet. Obviously today's NFL is different than 1986's, or even 1993's. But the fact that it is different and there is more of a sense of urgency seems to make teams lose their cool or scrap one rebuilding project for another, never finishing anything.

In fact, if that's one thing I can say about this team over the past few years, it's that it had no killer instinct and it started from the top-down. This has not been a "go get 'em, put the nail in the coffin" team for a long time. It's been an organization of constant tinkering. Don't get me wrong, I think there absolutely NEED to be changes made. But they can't be changes that forsake growth. I hope this all changes with Jauron, who was a pretty killer player in his time. Perhaps he can be that kind of silent warrior that Belicheck has proven to be.

wrt Losman, or Leinart?

I'm guessing the latter -- you've been pretty level headed in the JP argument.

631906[/snapback]

If they waste the #8 pick on a QB when their lines suck donkey, then there really is NO hope for the future of this franchise.

That would be the all-time most RETARDED pick ever. Ever. By any team, ever.

You wouldn't *mind* Leinart?

If a player of Leinart's credentials goes all the way down to #8, then we should be doing the Happy Dance that at least seven other NFL teams have lost their collective sanity to let that happen...

JDG

If they waste the #8 pick on a QB when their lines suck donkey, then there really is NO hope for the future of this franchise.

That would be the all-time most RETARDED pick ever. Ever. By any team, ever.

631909[/snapback]

Of course, there's only one word to describe your strategy- *REACH*.

You wouldn't *mind* Leinart?

If a player of Leinart's credentials goes all the way down to #8, then we should be doing the Happy Dance that at least seven other NFL teams have lost their collective sanity to let that happen...

JDG

631916[/snapback]

I'd only be happy if the other part of the equation includes some other team selling us the farm to get him. I want no part of another QB's growing pains. I'm willing to endure them with the one we have, with what we've given up to get him.

Leinart's knees won't hold up in Buffalo behind our O-line.

If we were to draft a QB it would have to be Cutler or Vince Young, those two guys would be at least capable of surviving a season, maybe, in this city.

I'm especially intrigued with Cutler, since he's used to carrying a team with tons of holes to wins against teams that are way better.

I'd be perfectly happy getting the QB question answered for good with a player of Leinart's caliber. The last time the Bills won a playoff game, Jim Kelly was taking the snaps. Doesn't that say something about the importance of the QB position? The Bills have had some good defenses since Kelly hung up his cleats, especially in the late '90s. But there are no playoff wins to show for those defenses.

Once you've got the right QB on the roster, it becomes a lot easier to focus on all the other positions. If the Bills have a chance at Leinart--and if Leinart will put the QB question for rest once and for all--why not take him?

I'd be perfectly happy getting the QB question answered for good with a player of Leinart's caliber. The last time the Bills won a playoff game, Jim Kelly was taking the snaps. Doesn't that say something about the importance of the QB position? The Bills have had some good defenses since Kelly hung up his cleats, especially in the late '90s. But there are no playoff wins to show for those defenses.

Once you've got the right QB on the roster, it becomes a lot easier to focus on all the other positions. If the Bills have a chance at Leinart--and if Leinart will put the QB question for rest once and for all--why not take him?

631941[/snapback]

Suppose you're right. You have one question answered, and 2-3 unanswered ones in front of him letting defenders destroy him.

Suppose you're right.  You have one question answered, and 2-3 unanswered ones in front of him letting defenders destroy him.

631948[/snapback]

If I were the GM, I'd like to address QB in the first round, and OL with the next three picks. I admit this would leave the team with holes elsewhere, especially on defense. But I'm tired of having a joke OL.