Cleveland signings - LT now available

VABills

Well since Cleveland signed Shaffer, because they could not agree to a deal with Shelton, is it time to finally bring him here. Not sure how much he was asking especially since Cleveland even said they settled for Shaffer after Shelton was asking too much. Shaffer got 6 years 36 million. I find it hard to believe even though Shelton played great last year that he could demand that type of salary.

Just say no to Shelton.  If he wants EVEN what Shaffer got, he's not worth it.  He's a guy who will play when he needs to showcase himself, but do nothing when he signs the big contract.  At best I'd offer him a highly-incentive laden deal.

625333[/snapback]

I am not advocating Shaffer money, although he is a better tackle. I agree Shelton needs incentives or he gets lazy. But he has at time a you say "showcases" himself and looks real good. Last year for example. Also, while he at time struggled in Arizona, Davis who was drafted to tack LT, never was able to unseat Shelton until Green got there and basically threw out most of the offensive line.

John Runyan and Tom Ashworth are still available. I tend to like Ashworth more because he is younger than Runyan and is from a division rival. I think Runyan probably has 2 more years left in him. I do not want another one of those signings. All reports on Ashworth indicate that he is a solid guy, spends extra time on technique, etc, etc, etc. Ashworth sounds like a "Marv guy" to me.

I am not advocating Shaffer money, although he is a better tackle.  I agree Shelton needs incentives or he gets lazy.  But he has at time a you say "showcases" himself and looks real good.  Last year for example.  Also, while he at time struggled in Arizona, Davis who was drafted to tack LT, never was able  to unseat Shelton until Green got there and basically threw out most of the offensive line.

Shelton did better last year than I thought he would. That being said, he's proven that when he's paid, he doesn't work as hard. It's not worth the money or aggravation to find out whether he WILL work hard this time, but odds are he doesn't.

John Runyan and Tom Ashworth are still available.  I tend to like Ashworth more because he is younger than Runyan and is from a division rival.  I think Runyan probably has 2 more years left in him.  I do not want another one of those signings.  All reports on Ashworth indicate that he is a solid guy, spends extra time on technique, etc, etc, etc.  Ashworth sounds like a "Marv guy" to me.

625337[/snapback]

Runyun's a RT. I don't like the idea of Peters or Gandy on the left side. Shelton is a LT who's two weeknesses are, picking up the really fast speed rushers, and motivation. He knows blocking and has no problems with stunts or blitz recognition. Gandy and Peters, have shown no ability to do either. Although Peters has the quickness against speed guys.

Are you his agent?

For around 3 mil a year, I say why not (unless they plan to go that way in the draft). The only think Shelton has "proven" is that on a long term scale he is average at best. I am one of those that think Peters has no buisness being thrown into the LT spot with no other plan in place, but I think he could probably do just as well as Shelton if he had to.

Peters is gonna be the LT and you're gonna love it. :blink: But seriously, Peters is probably gonna be better than Shaffer and Shelton, and he practiced on the left side all last offseason and into the season until taking over for Williams at RT, so it's not like LT is a completley foreign position for him. Hopefully, we sign him long-term before he gets to good because right now he's watching guys like Kevin friggen' Shaffer getting a boatload of money and he's saying to himself, "this left tackle stuff is pretty cool". Get it done Marv.

Peters IS a better fit at LT than RT, and I simply can't understand how any Bills fan could not see that. He had his best plays in space , utilizing his footwork and lateral movement. What we need is a RT.

Peters IS a better fit at LT than RT, and I simply can't understand how any Bills fan could not see that. He had his best plays in space , utilizing his footwork and lateral movement. What we need is a RT.

625490[/snapback]

Because he hasn't PLAYED LT. Tendancies do not guarantee he will be good on the other side of the line. Making the switch from RT to LT is huge. It's not easy.

Because he hasn't PLAYED LT.  Tendancies do not guarantee he will be good on the other side of the line.  Making the switch from RT to LT is huge.  It's not easy.

Faustus, Peters had been PRACTICING at LT since he came to the Bills and switched to OL. He only played RT after Williams went down. So he really made the switch from LT to RT last year, and will be switching back.

Yes he has. He practiced there all last offseason and into the regular season before taking over at RT. Looked very good there in the preseason. Yeah, I know, it's the preseason, but he got the start there vs. Green Bay and did very well against KGB.