this ? has me clueless

njsue

You are the international manager of a US business that has just developed a revolutionary new personal computer that can perform the same functions as

IBM and Apple computers and their clones but costs only half as much to manufacture.

Your CEO has asked you to formulate a recommendation for how to expand into

Western Europe.

Your options are (i) to export from the United States, (ii) to license a European Firm to manufacture and market the computer in Europe and (iii) to set up a wholly owned subsidiary in Europe.

Evaluate the pros and cons of each alternative and suggest a course of action to your CEO.

Thank you all for your help

Some issues to consider

i) Pro-Maintain close control of technology and production process, create American jobs which enhances image domestically, and potentially receive tax breaks. Con-Possibly higher labor costs, shipping and distribution costs, import taxes or penalties entering European market, market penetration costs.

ii) Pro-Less startup costs working with existing manufacturer, possibly avoid taxes/penalties associated with imports, possibly take advantage of name recognition and market knowledge. Con-Less control over manufacturing process and quality, have to share technology, less productive workforce.

iii) Pro-Maintain close control of technology and production process, possibly avoid taxes/penalties associated with imports. Con-Have to startup both manufacturing and marketing in new territory, may generate negative image in U.S. by creating new jobs overseas instead of domestically.

Given the limited information, the best option would be ii, liscensing. You would be working with a company that is assumed knowledgable in the market, and if the venture didn't work out as planned the investment in physical manufacturing infrastructure would be minimal compared to the other options.

Some issues to consider

i) Pro-Maintain close control of technology and production process, create American jobs which enhances image domestically, and potentially receive tax breaks.  Con-Possibly higher labor costs, shipping and distribution costs, import taxes or penalties entering European market, market penetration costs.

ii) Pro-Less startup costs working with existing manufacturer, possibly avoid taxes/penalties associated with imports, possibly take advantage of name recognition and market knowledge.  Con-Less control over manufacturing process and quality, have to share technology, less productive workforce.

iii) Pro-Maintain close control of technology and production process, possibly avoid taxes/penalties associated with imports.  Con-Have to startup both manufacturing and marketing in new territory, may generate negative image in U.S. by creating new jobs overseas instead of domestically.

Given the limited information, the best option would be ii, liscensing.  You would be working with a company that is assumed knowledgable in the market, and if the venture didn't work out as planned the investment in physical manufacturing infrastructure would be minimal compared to the other options.

46708[/snapback]

You forgot that costs will increase as you have to include profits for the manufacturer. True there isn't startup factory costs as in #3, but those costs can usually be offset by tax breaks and government contribution to build in a given local. Third party profits tend to really be a drain on long term profit margins. Of course you could invade the country take over control of their plants and it may potentially be cheaper.

You're reminding me of why I didn't go back for my masters degree Sue.  In this excercise, are you allowed to consider anywhere in the world as a place to manufacture the product? Or are you restricted to US vs. Western Europe?

46648[/snapback]

You also need to consider exchange rate risk if you are going to manufacture in the US and primarily sell in Europe (part i).

I've always felt like is exactly like a classroom.

Three quarters of the people have no idea what the hell is going on, the other fourth are convinced they're smarter than the person leading them...and half of those people are probably right.

Well, truth of the matter is that real life rarely resembles the classroom, so it's pretty well moot if someone elects to take a class that they don't even understand the questions in.

47209[/snapback]

The steps it takes to find the answers is life experience. She needs to do the work herself. I'll agree that the class may be moot. BUT, if she gets a job that she has to research something on.......yada yada yada........

You ask someone for help, but you get IGNORANT REMARKS.

erynthered are you such a genius or a lazy highschool kid.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: PACO. I know what you got your small education in being a totally IDIOT.

Next time someone on this board asking for the help of another TBD'er

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

Thanks to you BIB for helping me understand it better.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: PACO. I know what you got your small education in being a totally IDIOT.

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

47271[/snapback]

Sue, if you follow my advice you run a good chance of getting indicted. That's why it's a good idea to do homework.

There are something that are easy to me. There are some things that I could read 10 million times and still not get it.

Oh they book makes my head spin. So I go to askjeeves.com to ask the ? and sometimes there is easier information about the subject.

STAY THE HELL AWAY.

47271[/snapback]

So it's ignorant to tell you to do your own homework? Or to tell you to ask your teacher for help? Will the PPP board or the Wall be in the room with you when you take your final? Lighten up Sue.

• 7 months later...
You are the international manager of a US business that has just developed a revolutionary new personal computer that can perform the same functions as

IBM and Apple computers and their clones but costs only half as much to manufacture.

Your CEO has asked you to formulate a recommendation for how to expand into

Western Europe.

Your options are (i) to export from the United States, (ii) to license a European Firm to manufacture and market the computer in Europe and (iii) to set up a wholly owned subsidiary in Europe.

Evaluate the pros and cons of each alternative and suggest a course of action to your CEO.

Thank you all for your help

45886[/snapback]

I prepared an answer, but it takes up more space than is allowed on this board.