Bills off-season in my view

marck

The Bills should move forward and make the following additional cuts;

Eric Moulds

Bennie Anderson

Coy Wire

These three additional moves add an additional 6.8 million to the salary cap. When the new collective bargining agreement is signed later today, the cap will go to 104 million. With the additional cuts I have suggested the Bills will be 25.5 million under the cap.

Assume 3.5 million has to be allocated for the draft leaving 22 million to work with. How do these free agent signings sound to everyone:

OT - Jon Runyon or Brad Hopkins or Kennyta Walker (select 1 of 3)

OG - Tonoui Fonoti or Matt Stinchcomb (select 1 of 2)

WR - Antonio Bryant or Brandon Lloyd or Andre Davis (select 2 of 3)

DT - Gerard Warren or Maake Kemoeatu or Ted Washington (select 2 of 3)

DE - Darren Howard (big money & big production)

C - Mike Flannigan or Kevin Mawae (select 1 of 2)

S - Shaun Williams (cover 2 skills)

I suggest signing a total of 9 free agents, all players with the exception of Darren Howard and Gerard Warren would be middle to lower tier signings and would be within the 22 million budget I feel we could allocate

In the draft with the 1st pick we go with Vernon Davis the stud tight end out of Maryland. The Bills go to a two TE, single back formation with explosion at the TE spots creating major match-up issues for defenses.

In round two, DE from Indiana Victor Adeyanju, this guy is 6'4.5, 275 lbs, has 4.6 speed in the 40 and was a playmaker at Indiana.

In round 3, Charles Spencer the OG from Pittsburgh and with the other pick either Greg Blue or Pat Watkins, both 6'3", 220 lb strong safeties with speed sufficient to play in the cover 2 scheme

Somewhere later in the draft, try and get Ingals Martin of Furman as a QB prospect. Great arm, very quick feet and may be a quality back-up for 8 to 10 years.

This is the blueprint I am using to build my team. In later rounds I would try and get an additional RB prospect and a WR with speed who can play special teams such as Jonathon Orr or Wisconsin or Jeff Webb of San Diego State, both guys 6'2, 200 lbs+ who run under 4.42 to develop as special teams players.

This is a roster who can develop and possibly contend for a playoff spot.

Questions and comments appreciated as always.

Well you have to assume if the cap goes up by 10%, players will expect offers to be higher to by the same, plus more easy to start a bidding war to escalate salaries, so I don't think $22mil will buy what it use to.

I'd rather see them go after less quanity, but more quality. I agree with cutting Moulds and Anderson, though by the time you eat $5mil to cut Moulds then spend $2 -3 mil on a replacement, is it the same as paying him? Wire I like his ST play, don't think he costs much so would be inclined to keep him.

I'd go after the best guard out there, at tackle willing to start Gandy another year and draft a tackle in round 2 will idea by next year he'll be the starter. Supposedly there aren't alot of blue chip tackles available, but alot of good ones in 2nd round. I could live with Peter, Villiari, Preston, FA, and Gandy Maybe if you can pick up Flannigan or Mawae, I'd go with one of them at center instead of Preston. Also possible sign a decent back up tackle

As mentioned above, if you feel you can get a much better WR than Moulds for less money than the cap hit plus replacements salary great, but may keep EM instead.

I'd sign one of the Def tackles mentioned and draft a tackle in first round (if not a tackle then draft a CB instead, then maybe sign another tackle)

I want to give Everett a full year before I'm ready to sign another TE, you have decent depth behind him, so don't need Everett as a backup.

For DE, the only type of player I'd be interested in there is a great top 5 pass rusher.

The cap goes up every year and the payouts for veteran free agents holds pretty stationary.

Antonio Bryant is making $400,000 and paying him an average of 1.3 to 1.5 million quadruples his salary. Wire is an average ST player and could be easier replaced by a safety such as Greg Blue or Pat Watkins which would be available in the 3rd round.

The offensive line you suggest will put any QB behind center into the hospital. Tackles are available and should be signed. Peters has the size, quickness and desire to be a quality LT. We need improvement at guard and that is why we should sign a veteran and draft a young guard for the future.

The need is for two defensive tackles to be signed, dependent on the type wanted by the new DC in the cover two scheme.

Darren Howard is a luxury and will be a significant cost addition, but will well be worth it.

Shaun Williams will be a good hard-hitting addition to the safety corps.

Well you have to assume if the cap goes up by 10%, players will expect offers to be higher to by the same, plus more easy to start a bidding war to escalate salaries, so I don't think $22mil will buy what it use to.

I'd rather see them go after less quanity, but more quality.  I agree with cutting Moulds and Anderson, though by the time you eat $5mil to cut Moulds then spend $2 -3 mil on a replacement, is it the same as paying him?  Wire I like his ST play, don't think he costs much so would be inclined to keep him.

I'd go after the best guard out there, at tackle willing to start Gandy another year and draft a tackle in round 2 will idea by next year he'll be the starter.  Supposedly there aren't alot of blue chip tackles available, but alot of good ones in 2nd round. I could live with Peter, Villiari, Preston, FA, and Gandy  Maybe if you can pick up Flannigan or Mawae, I'd go with one of them at center instead of Preston.  Also possible sign a decent back up tackle

As mentioned above, if you feel you can get a much better WR than Moulds for less money than the cap hit plus replacements salary great, but may keep EM instead.

I'd sign one of the Def tackles mentioned and draft a tackle in first round (if not a tackle then draft a CB instead, then maybe sign another tackle)

I want to give Everett a full year before I'm ready to sign another TE, you have decent depth behind him, so don't need Everett as a backup.

For DE, the only type of player I'd be interested in there is a great top 5 pass rusher.

621260[/snapback]

Not too sure what the NFL record for the volume of free agents signed in one season but 9 seems pretty high when you also factor in the signing bonuses that would have to come from Ralph. We add three tops in my opinion.

With all those aging, over the hill or never has been guys we'd end up starting over next season. Plug a couple holes, sure, but I think your plan would just extend our mediocrity.