If hindsight is perfect..

Gambler

The Bills ended up with Nate Clements and Travis Henry in the 2001 draft.

The Bills could have drafted Steve Hutchinson at number 14, but traded down.

If you could turn back time and draft again in 2001 would you take Hutchinson or would you stick with Clements and Henry?

Just wondering.

The Bills ended up with Nate Clements and Travis Henry in the 2001 draft.

The Bills could have drafted Steve Hutchinson at number 14, but traded down.

If you could turn back time and draft again in 2001 would you take Hutchinson or would you stick with Clements and Henry?

Just wondering.

620706[/snapback]

Only if Hutch ends up a HOF! If we keep Nate and plays great ball for the next 5 years for us and TH only manages to remain a decent backup (like Kenny Davis) for the next 5 years too, I'd say we got the better end of the deal.

These kind of questions are pointless. A player doesn't become great in a vacuum. His success, or failure, has as much to do with the team he plays for as it does with his own talent. Take some of the greatest players ever, put them on different teams, and I believe some would be less successful or even fail completely. There are just too many valiables: coaching, teammates, injuries, bad bounces, etc.

Looking at it the other way, some less-than-stellar players could have been great in under different circumstances.

PTR

Don't forget that Brandon Spoon was also part of that deal, as we traded down a few spots and picked up a second from Tampa Bay. Then we traded that new second down a few spots and picked up a 4th from Denver. That 4th rounder wound up being Brandon Spoon. I know he only lasted a couple of years, but he did start at LB as a rookie and had some promising moments.

For me, considering the premium on good CBs versus good OGs, I would say that we made out better with Nate over Hutch, even discounting Henry and Spoon being added to the equation. Taking a CB in the first round is a crapshoot, but when you take a guard that high he had BETTER be a Pro Bowl caliber player.

For all the criticism that anyone may have of TD, in retrospect his decisions in the 2001 draft have to be looked upon with great fondness. Considering the way that the team was gutted with cap cuts, it was very important that he strike paydirt in that first draft, and for the most part he did:

1. Nate Clements (Starter and has gone to the Pro Bowl)

2. A Schobel (Starter and Pro Bowl caliber)

3. Travis Henry (Starter, 1300+ rusher twice)

4. Jonas Jennings (Starter, lost him to higher bidder in FA)

5. Ron Edwards (Spot starter who has battled injuries)

6. Brandon Spoon (Starter who also battled injuries after rookie season)

And that was just rounds 1-4.

Ironically, it was the one draft during his tenure in which Modrak did NOT take part.