Davis as a #1 WR?

It is possible that Eric Moulds will be out of buffalo in the near future. Vernon Davis entered the combine as a TE. Is it possible that the Bills or any other team could use davis as WR that can line up in the TE position and vice versa? He has the size and strenght of a tight end with the speed and versatility of a wide receiver.

The knocks on lee evans are that as a # 1 receiver he doesnt posess the size or strenght to break double teams or go over the middle, this is something that should give someone like davis no trouble. He could also line up as a TE in goal line situations and be used as a blocker or receiver. (Davis lined up at fullback and wide receiver in college)

David boston played the receiver position well and was listed at 228. If i can remember there were accounts that listed Boston as high as 250.

I know there are other pressing needs that our team must address, however if moulds is gone receiver will be one of them. I like everett's upside, but he hasnt proven anything yet, and he could still be used with davis around. Our TE productivity has been non-existant.

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

But Soprano says Moulds will be back...

Guess this is as good a topis as any for a new member to jump in on. Anyway, I like the idea, and have since the Davis talk started -- a 2 WR, 2 TE, single-back set, with the TEs being very versitile. The 2 TEs don't have to be tight to the formation -- could be used in the slot, H-back, split out, etc. Anyone with Davis's speed isn't limited to lining up tight, but from all accounts, Davis easily could line up tight and be a good blocker at the same time (I thought I saw somewhere that he blew guys off the ball -- the guy would probably be one of our top 2 OL if we lined him up there). Everett seems to me to be more of a Winslow-type -- great receiving TE with speed, but not all that impressive on the blocking front (maybe Winslow is a great blocker, but I hate that guy).

My point is, this 2 TE offense would not be what people would typically think of as a 2 TE set, and would give defenses matchup problems. A few years ago, only one or two teams were using 3-4 defenses -- and it used to screw up offensive coordinators trying to gameplan because it was different. Why can't an offense do that to defense coordinators?

Of course, this all presumes we re-sign Anderson as the cornerstone of a dominant OL. :w00t:

The word I here (NFL Network and others( is that clearly Davis wreaked havoc at the combine showing better speed than any TE ever, an amazing vertical leap and a gritty attitude. However, the word is he just has average hands at best.

When you add to that virtually all rookies need to learn the pro game and just as a quality WR like Moulds needed two years before he even began to be productive, the though of Davis being our #1 WR (or even being a quality #2 WR) seems little more than a fantasy notion.

Vernon Davis would be moderately effective for us at best in his 1st season or 2.

I would not object ot drafting him, but I would think that Huff, Hawk, Williams, Ngata and the Brick all are better options at #8 if the cards fall properly.

I would also look to trade down for extra picks in this draft.

The word I here (NFL Network and others( is that clearly Davis wreaked havoc at the combine showing better speed than any TE ever, an amazing vertical leap and a gritty attitude. However, the word is he just has average hands at best.

When you add to that virtually all rookies need to learn the pro game and just as a quality WR like Moulds needed two years before he even began to be productive, the though of Davis being our #1 WR (or even being a quality #2 WR) seems little more than a fantasy notion.

620895[/snapback]

That is just plain incorrect. Believe me. As a student at Maryland, I watched him play in every game in which he suited up (away games on TV obviously). The guy very rarely drops passes and can make spectacular, acrobatic snags with his soft hands and insane body control.

Some people on this board are simply not well-informed on his skill set. He is an absolute animal.

That is just plain incorrect.  Believe me.  As a student at Maryland, I watched him play in every game in which he suited up (away games on TV obviously).  The guy very rarely drops passes and can make spectacular, acrobatic snags with his soft hands and insane body control. 

Some people on this board are simply not well-informed on his skill set.  He is an absolute animal.

621041[/snapback]

Well you know better than I, but at the Hokie/MD game I don't recall him doing all that much. Seems like some kid (Fenner???) did a much better job vs. the vaunted Hokie D.

Of course I shouldn't judge Davis by just this one time I saw him play.. I don't follow MD ball at all. I can't say as though I've heard his name mentioned all that much, especially as an elite TE, but what do I know?? But if he's that good, well then good for him! And us, maybe???!!!

- the brick is not going to fall to us

- any other OL at that spot would be a reach

- we can address our OL problems through free agency

- He would be a pro bowl TE for years to come

- I say take him in the first and Watson in the 2nd.

- Bring in Ted Washington to clog the minimal for a lesser price

- Play Preston at center like was originally planned....bring in a aging but dependable LT (they ARE out there or will be) slide Gandy to LG (which is his natural position anyway) keep Villy at RG....and Peters at Right Tackle

- Run more 2 TE sets they are better running formations anyway....you have Evans and Parrish for speed. Draft a physical receiver in the 3-4th round or bring in a veteran

LMAO VD as a number one Receiver and TE???? You guys are great. Tell you what, if we get Vern and he turns out to be the number one receiver on this team, I will personally find a way to finance a new downtown stadium for the Bills in 2008.

Seriously though...you people are getting delusional over a 40 time. :::whispers::: Mike Mamula

Delusional? What is so delusional about vernon davis playing WR in the NFL? Players are getting bigger and stronger at their respective position every year. If you had told players 30 years ago that someone the size of daunte culpepper would be playing QB in the nfl they would've been shocked. Davis has the speed and agility of a #1 posession receiver. Just because he is bigger than any other receiver doesnt mean he cant break the mold. How many players come into the NFL and change positions. Just something to think about.

The knocks on lee evans are that as a # 1 receiver he doesnt posess the size or strenght to break double teams or go over the middle, this is something that should give someone like davis no trouble. He could also line up as a TE in goal line situations and be used as a blocker or receiver. (Davis lined up at fullback and wide receiver in college)

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

620608[/snapback]

For the record i love Vernon Davis.....but i never understand why a guy like Evans gets knocked for lack of size?!? If you can play,,,you can play, period!! Look at guys like Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith. There are dozens of others who are amazing WR's and small stature.

Of course I shouldn't judge Davis by just this one time I saw him play.. 

621058[/snapback]

Why not? Ngata was chastized and viewed as a fat bastard because he didn´t carry two OL on his shoulder on his way to the QB against Oklahoma.

Delusional? What is so delusional about vernon davis playing WR in the NFL? Players are getting bigger and stronger at their respective position every year. If you had told players 30 years ago that someone the size of daunte culpepper would be playing QB in the nfl they would've been shocked. Davis has the speed and agility of a #1 posession receiver. Just because he is bigger than any other receiver doesnt mean he cant break the mold. How many players come into the NFL and change positions. Just something to think about.

621327[/snapback]

Hahaha...we'll see

BTW...where did I ever say his size was a disadvantage as a WR? That has nothing to do with it...other than his 40 time what makes you think he has the skill to play #1 wideout in the NFL? His hands? they've been questioned by all the scouts....his route running??? I find it hard to believe that someone who has played TE all through college is going to beat out Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, or Steve Smith when it comes to running routes.

Why not? Ngata was chastized and viewed as a fat bastard because he didn´t carry two OL on his shoulder on his way to the QB against Oklahoma.

621376[/snapback]

Hey, if he's going to be the Bills #1 pick, he'd better carry 3 OL into the backfield, sack the QB, then go sack his parents. :)

I'm sure you would have found it hard to believe that someone that NEVER played college football had more receptions this season than marvin harrison and eric moulds. (Antonio Gates)

Maybe someone like davis cant be a #1 WR in this league, but they can be a #1 target.