the tight end has a HUGE part of the qb's play.

UM's coach said Everett had more raw physical talent than ANY TE he had at Miami. That said, raw talent doesnt translate into being a great player. I think he could be a really good TE. Drafting a TE when we have many other needs is foolish though (in my opinion, not insulting anyone). How is he gonna ever catch a pass if our qbs get sacked before they get to their 3rd step?

618203[/snapback]

Not addressing the lines would be foolish. Taking Davis over Ngata does not mean not addressing the lines. We aren't drafting for 2006 only. I like the idea of Brick or Super Mario or Ngata, but guys who know more than I do have to evaluate the talents available, and take the player that will be most valuable to this team over the next five years. Position does matter, and addressing the lines is our number 1 off season priority, but if Davis is viewed as a better five year player than Ngata, and we address the lines with the rest of the draft and free agency, I have no problem picking him.

What I would really like is if Oakland takes Davis as his stock rises, and we get something like this:

1 HOU - Bush

2 NO - Leinart

3 TEN - Young

4 NYJ - Cutler

5 GB - Brick

6 Oak - Davis

7 SF - Hawk

8 BUFFALO - MARIO WILLIAMS

There are other combinations which push Super Mario down, but I think I'm just dreaming. Either way, there is quality at 8, especially if three QBs are already off the board, so evaluate talent and personalities, and get somebody good.

If the Bills were to draft Davis,  they would still have at least 7 more picks to improve both lines.   And of course,  there's also the free agency period.  

They will have plenty of opportunities to improve both lines even if they choose not to use the 8th pick for it.

618136[/snapback]

True but have you seen the stats that the TEs in St Louis' offense?

Granted they haven't had anyone of Davis' skill level but in looking over their numbers it could give us an idea as to the importance Fairchild places on the TE.

And here are the numbers:

2005: 13 catches 129 Yards 9.9 YPG 1 TD

2004: 15 catches 174 Yards 11.6 YPG 1 TD

2003: 29 catches 238 Yards 14.9 YPG 2 TD

I did the same thing for the Steelers when Mularkey was signed and it appears neither favors the TE in the passing game.

I think Davis is the best choice at Tight End for anyone in the draft, as the popular consensus agrees.

For some reason i am souring on the idea of Ngata. I know it is a need position but i think we will be picking up Pickett without a problem.

The guy that i believe is going to slip under the radar into probably the third or fourth round is Dominique Byrd from USC. The man is an absolute giant and provided a large target down field for Leinart.

In 2005 alone he did not have that great of numbers, but when a team has Reggie Bush, ask yourself how many times are they going to be going to anyone but? He had 29 receptions for 306 yards, and a long of 52 yards. No touchdowns scored last year, and he is a little short a 6'3", but also weighs 260 lbs.

I would prefer Davis as of right now, there is no doubt about that as i think he is a person that could line up at WR on certain plays and also be an outlet for Losman on most plays, and could still get the ball up field. But if we don't get him and we get something of need or trade down, I think a guy like Byrd could help the Bills a lot.

My bad, I actually thought Gates was 6'7" or 6'8".  I guess I just made that assumption because of his basketball background and the way he plays.  I stand corrected.

618048[/snapback]

If he were 6'7" or 6'8" he'd be playing pro basketball, he was an outstanding college player, much better than Tony Gonzalez.

I definitely agree that a good TE would play a major role in helping out our offense.  With our recent TEs, it's no wonder our redzone offense was horrible.  I like Vernon Davis alot.  However, we just can't pass on addressing our lines.

618152[/snapback]

I agree. While I would not be disappointed if the Bills took Davis, I think he is a luxury that they can ill afford at #8. A pass catching TE is not a top priority. The O-and D-lines have been ignored in the early rounds for far too many years. Unless they make major stides in free agency in both areas (doubtful), they need to address one of the lines with their first pick.

T. Brady and Ben Watson/Daniel Graham...

Graham has been competent in the passing game, but is most effective as a blocker. Watson has shown flashes of brilliance as a receiver, but really hasn't put it all together yet. In any case, neither are anywhere close to a Gates/Gonzalez type yet, and really haven't equalled Clark as pass-catchers either.

Actually, I kind of like Euhus and Everett.  They haven't shown anything yet, of course, but these guys might step up.

618252[/snapback]

There are way too many variables that have the possibility of coming into play there. I still think Euhus might be able to pull something off, and i would and i woldn't be disappointed if the Bills didn't draft a tight end.

Not addressing the lines would be foolish.  Taking Davis over Ngata does not mean not addressing the lines.  We aren't drafting for 2006 only.  I like the idea of Brick or Super Mario or Ngata, but guys who know more than I do have to evaluate the talents available, and take the player that will be most valuable to this team over the next five years.  Position does matter, and addressing the lines is our number 1 off season priority, but if Davis is viewed as a better five year player than Ngata, and we address the lines with the rest of the draft and free agency, I have no problem picking him.

618238[/snapback]

Very well put. I think you have to look at need, but also at a player's potential to reach greatness. If you think Ngata will be just another guy--good but nothing special--while Davis will be the next Gates, you have to go with Davis.

But to take advantage of the TE position, the Bills will need to address the offensive line. Too many guys on that line are incapable of blocking defenders one-on-one. If the TE is always made to stay in and help mask others' incompetence, his pass catching skills will be rendered useless. That said, no OL other than the Brick is worthy of going #8, and this draft is nice and deep at OL.