CBA Prospects

In my opinion, the way the NFL CBA works out could have a huge impact on the Bills. If they don't come up with a new agreement and 2007 has no salary cap, how many attractive free agents does anyone see coming to a Bills organization that hasn't been winning and been in somewhat of a disarray, when the sky's the limit on salaries??

You might still have a couple cheapo organizations, but we know the likes of Snyder, Jerry Jones, Paul Allen and the like will probably throw out the cash freely. I don't think the Bills would be able to compete.

In my opinion, the way the NFL CBA works out could have a huge impact on the Bills.  If they don't come up with a new agreement and 2007 has no salary cap, how many attractive free agents does anyone see coming to a Bills organization that hasn't been winning and been in somewhat of a disarray, when the sky's the limit on salaries??

You might still have a couple cheapo organizations, but we know the likes of Snyder, Jerry Jones, Paul Allen and the like will probably throw out the cash freely.  I don't think the Bills would be able to compete.

617559[/snapback]

Seeing how we struggle to compete WITH a CBA in place and a hard cap, your assumption is not only reasonable, but likely. :)

Who says owners are going to be allowed to throw as much money as they want to get a player

From what I've read, there are going to be some rukes for an uncapped years like they can not offer a contract that is more then 30% larger then their previous contract. There is also the fact that the you will have to have spent more then 6 years in the league to be a UFA instead of 4 and the teams will be given more franchise and transition tags to put on a player.

Its not like a team is going to be able to walk over to Peyton and offer him a 1 billion dollar contract for the year. Also these owner will have to account for the fact that when everything is resolved, they may be going back to a Salary cap so to get yourself back under the cap it will become even harder then it is now.

In my opinion, the way the NFL CBA works out could have a huge impact on the Bills.  If they don't come up with a new agreement and 2007 has no salary cap, how many attractive free agents does anyone see coming to a Bills organization that hasn't been winning and been in somewhat of a disarray, when the sky's the limit on salaries??

You might still have a couple cheapo organizations, but we know the likes of Snyder, Jerry Jones, Paul Allen and the like will probably throw out the cash freely.  I don't think the Bills would be able to compete.

617559[/snapback]

Actually, I think we could attract a reasonable # of FAs.

1. Beyond the top dollar athletes who in essence are at the owner level of compensation (the Gretzky's, Lemieuss, and Jordans) even a small market team like the Bills can compete at the level of paying $1o million a year (the moulds cap hit which we do not want to do, probably will not have to do but can in the current economics without the salary cap constraint). Ralph can actually afford to get some top drawer help. In the end, we are talking about a short career and money talks. I have fw doubts we can attract enough top flight athletes here to do a few years in the cold for big bucks. Ralph's moola is as green as anybody else's and is part of the reason Pro Bowlers like Spikes who could have gone anywhere came here.

2. Being on a winner or a loser is not prohibitive as it currently things are so close athletical;ly that the move from worse to first (or vice versa) can easily happen within a contract much less a career. Many of today;s athletes grew up watching the Bills and the 49ers win in the 80s and early 90s and actually have an affinity for these teams which is not merited bv their current performance. I think we can attract some good players here if the money is right.

3.Athletes have grown up being big fish wherever they were. Given th choice of being a small fish in a big pond like NYC or LA, or instead being the big fish in our small market town some will prefer out backdrop to towns an urban guy like me (I gre up in Chicao, but my wife drew me here) might prefer.

4. There are big dollars to be made in Buffalo. A player will not be in the medias face as he might be in NYC, but a player can take advantage of modern telecommunications and plane travel to sell their wares everywhere from anywhere.

There are certainly more opportunities in a major market and we will definitely loss out on getting some guys whio want to go uptown. However, if RWS will put out the dollars I think that this issue will not be a stopper for us completely or even for the most part.