Jay Bennish.....

"Im right, youre wrong". Thats basically what you just said to back up your argument here. And youre using...an AP headline as your backup??!!?? Becuase press headline clippings do SUCH a good job of giving "the true story".

617600[/snapback]

So we can't use AP stories now on the PPP? Can I have a list of acceptable forms of media/news outlets that you will endorse so I can make a point in a post. As for the story, you just accused students of a frivolous protest. I haven't even seen that interpretation on The Drudge Report.
Funny, I dont recall saying that religion should be taught in public schools. I was going for how the mere acknowledgement of a higher power forces you to throw yourself off the ledge. Thanks for illustrating my point on that one.

617600[/snapback]

You were rambling about god and banned pictures of presidents. I was just trying to make sense of your "argument." The point goes to you, I guess, because you clearly lost me.

Youre wrong. See...the example Ive given to counter your argument is not even one I believe in. I dont think ID should be taught in science class. I used it to show how whats one person's "reason for outrage" is another's "rational discussion."

617600[/snapback]

It's not a good example, though. If he was shouting about Sandanistas, death squads and Ollie North smuggling coke into the US in a 10th grade mathematics class, then yeah, I'd say he was way out of bounds, because politics doesn't belong in a math class any more than creationism belongs in a science class. It's not a rational discussion in the context of the subject.

Regardless, what this professor is way out there. It wasnt a debate he was putting forth and it was an extremist POV.

Now...if you want to talk about the contents of what was said, how it seems the idea that "USA IS SATAN" is so en vougue these days, Ill be happy to discuss. I cant even get through an episode of most of the dramas on TV or go to a movie without getting slammed over the head with THAT hammer over and over.

617600[/snapback]

Jesus, man. Liberal media, liberal educators, liberal academics, and now your entertainment is overrun with lefties. How ever do you get through the day? :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we can't use AP stories now on the PPP?  Can I have a list of acceptable forms of media/news outlets that you will endorse so I can make a point in a post.  As for the story, you just accused students of a frivolous protest.  I haven't even seen that interpretation on The Drudge Report.

You were rambling about god and banned pictures of presidents. I was just trying to make sense of your "argument."  The point goes to you, I guess, because you clearly lost me.

It's not a good example, though.  If he was shouting about Sandanistas, death squads and Ollie North smuggling coke into the US in a 10th grade mathematics class, then yeah, I'd say he was way out of bounds, because politics doesn't belong in a math class any more than creationism belongs in a science class.  It's not a rational discussion in the context of the subject.

Jesus, man.  Liberal media, liberal educators, liberal academics, and now your entertainment is overrun with lefties.  How ever do you get through the day?  :doh:

617650[/snapback]

Just wondering...have any clowns balanced on beach balls or salmon proactively spawned in this argument yet? :)

Give up, Coli. You're teaching a pig to sing here. :P

So we can't use AP stories now on the PPP?  Can I have a list of acceptable forms of media/news outlets that you will endorse so I can make a point in a post.  As for the story, you just accused students of a frivolous protest.  I haven't even seen that interpretation on The Drudge Report.

You were rambling about god and banned pictures of presidents. I was just trying to make sense of your "argument."  The point goes to you, I guess, because you clearly lost me.

It's not a good example, though.  If he was shouting about Sandanistas, death squads and Ollie North smuggling coke into the US in a 10th grade mathematics class, then yeah, I'd say he was way out of bounds, because politics doesn't belong in a math class any more than creationism belongs in a science class.  It's not a rational discussion in the context of the subject.

Jesus, man.  Liberal media, liberal educators, liberal academics, and now your entertainment is overrun with lefties.  How ever do you get through the day?  :)

617650[/snapback]

Im not going to waste time anymore except to echo what Darin said earlier. I defy you to hammer out on your keyboard that your reaction would be the same if what Bennish puked up was against your ideology.

And youre right..I SHOULD just go along with all this tripe about America being the cause of all the world's ills. Its just so.....trendy.

And hey Tom...one dumb ass parachute comment deserves another, so heres one for you..... FUKK off.....Pig.

............ I'd back the teaching style,.........

617627[/snapback]

This is clearly the weakness in your argument. Bennishs “teaching style” was in fact indoctrination by anyone’s definition. If you think indoctrination can play any part in the high school educational system then there is no point in arguing this anymore.

Coli is young and has been indoctrinated. Wait till he is about 35 and he realizes what a load of leftist tripe he was fed in high school.

I sound like an old fogey(I probably am to some of you) but there was none of this political crap in the teachings in hs when I went.

The closest we got was when the teacher said to watch the Watergate hearings for 11th grade US history. She made no judgements and only pointed out how the checks and balances in the Constitution were being used as events unfolded.

Im not going to waste time anymore except to echo what Darin said earlier. I defy you to hammer out on your keyboard that your reaction would be the same if what Bennish puked up was against your ideology.

And youre right..I SHOULD just go along with all this tripe about America being the cause of all the world's ills. Its just so.....trendy.

And hey Tom...one dumb ass parachute comment deserves another, so heres one for you..... FUKK off.....Pig.

617670[/snapback]

I bet you have a lovely singing voice.

This is clearly the weakness in your argument.  Bennishs “teaching style” was in fact indoctrination by anyone’s definition.  If you think indoctrination can play any part in the high school educational system then there is no point in arguing this anymore.

617976[/snapback]

Yeh like singing the National Anthem, not that I mind on that one, but having a prayer moment especially from a specific religion isn't indoctrination, doesn't look good when the shoe is on the other foot. See Mickey's post, indoctrination 101.

Seriously though, I want my child exposed to as much different thinking as possible short of drug or alcohol induced coma thinking. P.S. what the heck is advertising on TV or billboards but corporate indoctrination.

It is the job of the parent to explain that to a child and explain what the parents values are and why those things are bad or good depending on your values. Otherwise, you are not being a good parent.

Yeh like singing the National Anthem, not that I mind on that one, but having a prayer moment especially from a specific religion isn't indoctrination, doesn't look good when the shoe is on the other foot.  See Mickey's post, indoctrination 101.

618045[/snapback]

Don't forget the Pledge of Allegiance.

I used to have a teacher in high school who said the Pledge while giving a Nazi salute to the flag. He was a member of the communits party as well. Somehow, the most indoctrinating part of that class was the Pledge itself... :lol:

Coli is young and has been indoctrinated.  Wait till  he is about 35 and he realizes what a load of leftist tripe he was fed in high school.

I sound like an old fogey(I probably am to some of you) but there was none of this political crap in the teachings in hs when I went. 

The closest we got was when the teacher said to watch the Watergate hearings for 11th grade US history. She made no judgements and only pointed out how the checks and balances in the Constitution were being used  as events unfolded.

617990[/snapback]

Nope. I'm 39, and formed my opinions over many years, many different locales, and many, many different careers. I grew up in upstate NY, in a very conservative area compared to where I am now.

Just because you grew up in an era (or area, I'm probably a lot older than you thought I was, and you're probably a lot younger than I imagine you to be) where your educators didn't allow you to question anything, and pushed a Cleaver-like existence as reality on you doesn't mean it was right, nor does it mean your generation (or mine, because the same garbage was thrown at me) is any better off for having their heads stuck in the sand (or stuck somewhere else, for that matter).

Yeh like singing the National Anthem, not that I mind on that one, but having a prayer moment especially from a specific religion isn't indoctrination, doesn't look good when the shoe is on the other foot.  See Mickey's post, indoctrination 101.

Seriously though, I want my child exposed to as much different thinking as possible short of drug or alcohol induced coma thinking.  P.S. what the heck is advertising on TV or billboards but corporate indoctrination. 

It is the job of the parent to explain that to a child and explain what the parents values are and why those things are bad or good depending on your values.  Otherwise, you are not being a good parent.

618045[/snapback]

There is one big difference between what Bennish did and reciting the National Anthem before an event and the Pledge of Allegiance before class begins. The pledge and Anthem are not part of the curriculum (course of study: an integrated course of academic studies). It has become more of a meaningless cultural practice then anything else, recited by half sleeping children every school day. I bet you none of the kids today could even tell you what the words actually mean. Now the “Global Citizen” garbage they cram down the kids’ throat as part of the curriculum could be seen as indoctrination by many.

There is one big difference between what Bennish did and reciting the National Anthem before an event and the Pledge of Allegiance before class begins. The pledge and Anthem are not part of the curriculum (course of study: an integrated course of academic studies). It has become more of a meaningless cultural practice then anything else, recited by half sleeping children every school day.  I bet you none of the kids today could even tell you what the words actually mean.  Now the “Global Citizen” garbage they cram down the kids’ throat as part of the curriculum could be seen as indoctrination by many.

618398[/snapback]

Just one problem I have with your line of reasoning:

If the Pledge and the Anthem are a meaningless cultural practice, why do them?

Just one problem I have with your line of reasoning:

If the Pledge and the Anthem are a meaningless cultural practice, why do them?

618452[/snapback]

Out of tradition, and to give the kids a sense of belonging to something larger then just their own self-interest. Maybe I’m just old fashion

For example, he was comparing Bush to Hitler, pointing out the "similarities". If you hear it, you get his tone. He was almost yelling at times.

Robertson is too wierd and Buchannan is loony too. Like I've said, I'm a Reagan Republican.

Seriously though, I want my child exposed to as much different thinking as possible short of drug or alcohol induced coma thinking.  P.S. what the heck is advertising on TV or billboards but corporate indoctrination. 

618045[/snapback]

if my social studies teacher had decided to spend start giving lectures about how the sex trade in asia was the best thing in the world, my school wouldn't have been right to can their ass?

what am I not seeing?