Moulds Status With Bills May Depend on CBA

joesz

If Moulds refuses to take a paycut, why haven't the Bills released him? I think it may have something to do with the CBA - if there will be a new Collective Bargaining Agreement of not.

I base my thoughts on this from the strange events that have taken place over the past few days. When Moulds' agent said they would not accept a paycut this past Sunday, many "experts" were predicting that a CBA would be in place before the start of free agency on Friday. Why take a paycut with the Bills when a new CBA promised more big money for free agents? However, as the week progressed and the potential agreement fell apart, the big money disappeared. Without a CBA, more than a third of the teams would have difficulty getting under the salary cap and would not be players in the free agency market. A large number of good players would have to be cut on "Black Thursday", thus providing a lot more competition for Moulds. Those teams that had money to spend could cherry pick from this large pool of free agents, without having to spend big bucks. It was also expected that free agency would be hampered by the rules in the old CBA in the year prior to an uncapped year, eg the 30% rule, the length of new contracts, etc.

I think Moulds and his agent have decided to keep there options open until the status of the CBA is finally decided - probably by tomorrow evening. Without a new CBA, Moulds might be better off taking a cut in pay down to published numbers of around $2 million because he likely would get much less as a free agent without a new CBA.

I think Moulds is staying in either case. If there's no new CBA, the money pool will be low and the player pool with be large, and Moulds won't make even half of what he will with the Bills, even with the paycut. However with a new CBA and a rise in the case bu $10-15M, the Bills probably keep him at his current contract.

I think Moulds is staying in either case.  If there's no new CBA, the money pool will be low and the player pool with be large, and Moulds won't make even half of what he will with the Bills, even with the paycut.  However with a new CBA and a rise in the case bu $10-15M, the Bills probably keep him at his current contract.

616010[/snapback]

I am asking you (and others) to consider the possibility that we think more highly of Moulds than do others because we are Bills Fans on a Bills Board. Nothing wrong with this mind you. It is to be expected. With this in mind, it is my respectful opinion that keeping Moulds without a CBA would be dumb beyond any rational comprehension.

Again, fan sentiments notwithstanding, Moulds is old, and has not aged particularly well. He has lost a step and gained an insubordinate chip to his shoulder.

If there is no CBA, many good players will be cut today, and they will come at a lower cost because of the bloodletting. The Bills could certainly sign a couple with the 5 mil or so we would get from cutting this old, all but washed up malcontent.

Imo, it is a no-brainer.

I am asking you (and others) to consider the possibility that we think more highly of Moulds than do others because we are Bills Fans on a Bills Board. Nothing wrong with this mind you. It is to be expected. With this in mind, it is my respectful opinion that keeping Moulds without a CBA would be dumb beyond any rational comprehension.

Again, fan sentiments notwithstanding, Moulds is old, and has not aged particularly well. He has lost a step and gained an insubordinate chip to his shoulder.

If there is no CBA, many good players will be cut today, and they will come at a lower cost because of the bloodletting. The Bills could certainly sign a couple with the 5 mil or so we would get from cutting this old, all but washed up malcontent.

Imo, it is a no-brainer.

616034[/snapback]

OK, I agree with what you say about Moulds, but I still think we can get a 3 for Travis. :doh:

Imo, it is a no-brainer.

616034[/snapback]

As usual, I disagree..... I wonder what League you're watching where 80+ catches constitutes "all but washed up."

Anyhow, I think that fans in Philadelphia would be very pumped up to see a player of Moulds' caliber hit the market.

JDG

As usual, I disagree.....  I wonder what League you're watching where 80+ catches constitutes "all but washed up."   

Anyhow, I think that fans in Philadelphia would be very pumped up to see a player of Moulds' caliber hit the market.

JDG

616105[/snapback]

The one where nobody is that impressed by 10.1 ypc (due to a late season surge). :doh:

Maybe the fans in Philly would be pumped to see Moulds on their team.

I am pumped thinking about how many players the Bills might be able to sign as the cuts continue.

As usual, I disagree.....  I wonder what League you're watching where 80+ catches constitutes "all but washed up."   

JDG

616105[/snapback]

That's understandable, the Eagles have a more reliable quarterback! :doh: