William F. Buckley

Mickey

Read Ken's post, it's pretty accurate. Of course, he's only obtaining an aditional graduate degree in Security and Intelligence studies with a special concentration on North Korea, so what does HE know. Not like he has read about it, or anything.

614042[/snapback]

I wanted to know what suckincincy's belief on the matter was since he is the person with whom I was having the discussion. Maybe we have the same belief and thus I could skip it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arafat won the Nobel Peace Prize.

But seriously, I have never read her columns. I make it standard practice to avoid all opinion columns, regardless of political persuasion.

614232[/snapback]

I only read George Will's column. He has an amazing talent for pissing me off, to the point where, if he's espousing a position I also hold, I end up disagreeing with him and myself on the principle that an !@#$ like him can't possibly be right.

Helps me to understand why people disagree with me. :D

I only read George Will's column.  He has an amazing talent for pissing me off, to the point where, if he's espousing a position I also hold, I end up disagreeing with him and myself on the principle that an !@#$ like him can't possibly be right. 

Helps me to understand why people disagree with me.  ;)

614377[/snapback]

:D

Of all the Sabbath Gasbags, George Will is wrong for the most interesting reasons.

I was hoping to discuss his opinion after first seeing the reactions/opinions of others.  I posted his take, a conservative whose opinion can't be dismissed easily as partisanship, hopefully to force a discussion of his point. 

The first post was from someone claiming that the war was over.  He didn't address Buckley's point.  I replied to the one he did make about the war being over.  The next post was an attack on the credibility of Buckley as being anit-bush, his points again unaddressed.  The next post was from you which was "mickey suks" or something like that. I took the high road and didn't reply at all. 

Next was a long post from bib which had some substance but also included some stuff about "rambling fool" and "you used to be better".  I explained why my style had changed since he brought it up and then I discussed the merits, the substance of Buckley's opinion. 

For those willing to discuss the merits, I responded in kind. 

As I did here:

"Is there sectarian violence? Not even arguable. Is it being controlled by the presence of our troops? Less clear but certainly a reasonable conclusion. Has it led to failure? Much less clear but..."

And here:

"There is sectarian violence, that is a point that is not even arguable. This morning, even George Will called it a civil war, in fact, he almost bust a gut laughing at the notion...."

And here:

"I personally think that if we haven't "failed" in Iraq, we are going to if this keeps up. What better course should be pursued, I have no concrete, ready for prime-time suggestions. I do believe however that..."

And here:

"Buckley is right, there is violence, we aren't controlling it and it is leading to failure. Is it a done deal? I hope like hell that it isn't but..."

And here:

"Reality is the overarching thing here. You are right, there are larger problems at stake. However, the reality is that we are failing in Iraq. So whether we should be there, shouldn't have gone there, whatever, doesn't really matter. We are not achieving our goals..."

So, what was that you were saying about how I failed to actually discuss the topic of Buckley's article?

614261[/snapback]

At least you got part of yours right. Of course, as usual, you completely misrepresented anything that didn't either agree with your partisan agenda, or fall into your narrow view of what this thread should be about. It is useless for me to try to explain your errors, since you have ignored me at least twice in this thread, then completely distorted my point so as to make it unrecognizable as mine. Hence, were I to try, I would simply be re-typing my previous posts, and I really have better things to do. I guess RIBillsFan was right.

If Craps and I got into it, there'd be two hits. Me hitting him, him hitting the ground.

614575[/snapback]

Cut the lame cliches Ed. Eveyone knows we would never fight. You're a pansy and would run and hide. :D

Never has before.  Anywhere.  Every time I hear something like that (a partisan commentator breaking ranks with his party on an issue) brought up, the discussion is invariably about the commentator and his partisanship, not the issue.

614049[/snapback]

I dunno about that. I've seen people post links to pieces by Thomas Friedman and Pat Buchanan that have led to some decent discussion. Yeah, some people will attack the author or the poster that posted the link instead of addressing the issues raised, but it seem common in politics to attack the attacker instead of addressing the merits of the argument put forth. You seem to be doing just that.

I dunno about that.  I've seen people post links to pieces by Thomas Friedman and Pat Buchanan that have led to some decent discussion.  Yeah, some people will attack the author or the poster that posted the link instead of addressing the issues raised, but it seem common in politics to attack the attacker instead of addressing the merits of the argument put forth.  You seem to be doing just that.

614788[/snapback]

BTW. Your opinion.

Folding camp shovel?

Or folding battle axe with shovel like qualities?

BTW. Your opinion.

Folding camp shovel?

Or folding battle axe with shovel like qualities?

614809[/snapback]

What ever happened to a good old fashion auger?

Is it a style thing? Should I never carry it around?

What ever happened to a good old fashion auger?

Is it a style thing? Should I never carry it around?

614824[/snapback]

How do you fold it up into a little pouch?

Cut the lame cliches Ed.  Eveyone knows we would never fight.  You're a pansy and would run and hide.  :D

614616[/snapback]

And you know this how?

Dude, you're a puss, plain and simple. You're a terrorist supporting, America hating racist.

Yeah, I'm real scared there, tough guy. :P