Russia Sells Su-25 Warplanes to Iran

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Osama.

Screw the Iranians.  They are a bunch of wacko's that will be next after Iraq.  I figure there is a plan on the table that we are going to see sooner than later to take out their nuclear ambitions.  I wonder how many french and german products we will find in these nuclear sites when we go?  No doubt the russians are helping them too.

608510[/snapback]

you mean just like all the WMDs we found in iraq!!!!

:lol:

you mean just like all the WMDs we found in iraq!!!!

:lol:

608524[/snapback]

I say lets fight them there, before we have to fight them here in the US of A!!!

Anytime we are taking the fight outside of this great nation is fine with me.

Well...they CAN carry corrosive nerve gas...but only short distances before the wings fall off.  The gas IS corrosive, after all.  I'd be more worried about China's Antarctic clown-based antisattelite laser program. 

(On a serious note, the Russians named the SU-25 the "Shturmovik", which in one word says FAR more about its capabilities and usage than I'd ever bother posting in this !@#$ing nursery school...)

607055[/snapback]

Huh? The Shturmovik is the IL-2, a WW2 era ground attack plane. The SU-25 is the "Frogfoot".

Scary name indeed... :lol:

Huh? The Shturmovik is the IL-2, a WW2 era ground attack plane. The SU-25 is the "Frogfoot".

Scary name indeed...  :lol:

608580[/snapback]

"Frogfoot" is the NATO designation. The official Russian name is "Grach" ("Rook" in English, as in the chesspiece). It's unofficially called the "Shturmovik" because a) it is a CAS aircraft sharing its mission with the Il-2/Il-10 WW2 line, and b) I believe, off the top of my head, that "Shturmovik" is actually a generic Russian term for a ground attack plane that became a sort of "brand name" for the Il-2 (much like "Stuka" was a German abbreviation of the generic term "Sturmkampfflugzeug", literally "diving battle aircraft", that came to be the appellation of the Ju-87.) I'm not positive, as my Russian is a little rusty, but I can check when I get home tonight.

But, at any rate, the SU-25 is referred to by the unofficial name "Shturmovik", even though that's not its official Russian name nor NATO designation.

And before anyone asks...yeah, I could use a real hobby, and my wife often wonders why she married me. :lol:

SU-25's saw a lot of action in the afgan war if I remember correctly. I saw a special on History I think where they talked about it. I was impressed with the aircrafts capabilities, but, the afgan war was many years ago, and lets be honest here, the russians haven't done a lot to upgrade their military technologies. So really Iran is buying warplanes built for the 80's.

SU-25 Sturmovik

Nickname.

608598[/snapback]

Like anyone here reads Cyrillic. :lol:

Technically, the IL-2 was the "Bronirovannyi Shturmovik" - Russian for "Armored Assault Aircraft" (thus, its initial designation "BSh-2", before designations changed to design bureau abbreviations). Generally, the Russians didn't name their aircraft models like the Western Allies or (less so) the Germans did...but when the BSh-2 became the Il-2, apparently the phrase "Shturmovik" stuck as a sort of popular or "folk" name.

The name was resurrected for the Su-25, in part because as an assault aircraft it evoked memories of the Il-2, and in part because it is a "shturmovik" in the literal meaning of the word.

SU-25's saw a lot of action in the afgan war if I remember correctly.  I saw a special on History I think where they talked about it.  I was impressed with the aircrafts capabilities, but, the afgan war was many years ago, and lets be honest here, the russians haven't done a lot to upgrade their military technologies.  So really Iran is buying warplanes built for the 80's.

608602[/snapback]

CAS is CAS. The A-10's still capable in that role, I see no reason why the Su-25 shouldn't be, if the airframe design's basically sound and survivable. Hell, modified C-130's are used for close air support...

And, again, gets back to my point that slapping a nuke on the damned thing is a different matter entirely. Entirely different set of requirements between a nuclear delivery platform and a survivable battlefield assault aircraft.

"Frogfoot" is the NATO designation.  The official Russian name is "Grach" ("Rook" in English,  as in the chesspiece).  It's unofficially called the "Shturmovik" because a) it is a CAS aircraft sharing its mission with the Il-2/Il-10 WW2 line, and b) I believe, off the top of my head, that "Shturmovik" is actually a generic Russian term for a ground attack plane that became a sort of "brand name" for the Il-2 (much like "Stuka" was a German abbreviation of the generic term "Sturmkampfflugzeug", literally "diving battle aircraft", that came to be the appellation of the Ju-87.)  I'm not positive, as my Russian is a little rusty, but I can check when I get home tonight. 

But, at any rate, the SU-25 is referred to by the unofficial name "Shturmovik", even though that's not its official Russian name nor NATO designation.

And before anyone asks...yeah, I could use a real hobby, and my wife often wonders why she married me.  :lol:

608587[/snapback]

CTM - back to the Hawk missiles. A time ago, post-9/11, mention was made of situating AA missiles about D.C. due to this or that perceived high threat level. IIRC, the sited missiles were Stingers affixed to Humvees. Given the short-range nature, IR targeting, and small warhead of a Stinger, do you know if Hawk batteries were also emplaced? One can only imagine the tough decision-making process leading to a Hawk launch, as well as a Stinger - targeting the correct air threat, and so on...