TOO FEW BLACK COACHES ....

bbh10128

WHICH IS OUT OF BALANCE AND NEEDS REGULATION?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH IS OUT OF BALANCE AND NEEDS REGULATION?

• MORE BLACK COACHES
    • MORE WHITE PLAYERS

THE ARGUMENT GOES THAT WITH SO MANY BLACK PLAYERS - A MAJORITY OF THE LEAGUE - THE PERCENT OF BLACK COACHES SHOULD BE ROUGHLY EQUAL VERUS CURRENT PERCENT OF ABOUT 20%. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ARGUMENT THAT SAYS SINCE SOCIETY AS A WHOLE IS MOSTLY WHITE, THEN HAVING ONLY A MINORITY OF WHITE PLAYERS POINTS TO A BIAS IN PLAYER SECLECTION THAT WORKS AGAINST WHITES?

YOU DECIDE.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE ARGUMENT GOES THAT WITH SO MANY BLACK PLAYERS - A MAJORITY OF THE LEAGUE - THE PERCENT OF BLACK COACHES SHOULD BE ROUGHLY EQUAL VERUS CURRENT PERCENT OF ABOUT 20%.  BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ARGUMENT THAT SAYS SINCE SOCIETY AS A WHOLE IS MOSTLY WHITE, THEN HAVING ONLY A MINORITY OF WHITE PLAYERS POINTS TO A BIAS IN PLAYER SECLECTION THAT WORKS AGAINST WHITES?

YOU DECIDE.

599126[/snapback]

This thread is going to get moved to the PP board but you raise an interesting point. Only the best people play, regardless of their color.

I have been saying this for years, but I really don't think that and owner would not hire a coach because he is black. Winning is so important in the NFL that the best coaches are selected, regardless of the color of their skin. The problem has not been a lack of hiring minority coaches. It has been a lack of qualified minority candidates.

I think the black coaches issue is similar to that of the lack of black QB's years ago...and it stems from one place: College Football.

The pool of black QB's has increased over the last 20 years, and as a result, there are more black QB's in the NFL now. As college football starts to hire more minority candidates as coaches (and College Football should be called out just as much if not more then the NFL)...the minority college head coaches will get more opportunites to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

The pool of black QB's has increased over the last 20 years, and as a result, there are more black QB's in the NFL now.  As college football starts to hire more minority candidates as coaches (and College Football should be called out just as much if not more then the NFL)...the minority college head coaches will get more opportunites to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

599148[/snapback]

Stop with the reason and logic. The hysteria crowd will be here any minute to tell us how NFL owners don't want the Lombardi trophy if it's been earned by a black coach. :lol:

You could make the argument that people identify with others like themselves. So from a dollars and cents standpoint, it might help if the NFL's players had the same racial composition as the audience it's trying to attract. For instance, it will be a little harder for the NFL to attract Latino viewers, because very few Latinos play in the NFL.

I don't see how they could have an affirmative action program to help white, Latino, and Asian players though.

I'm not nieve enough to believe that racism doesn't exist, but I'm also not nieve to the fact that it always will be present in a society. People will always discriminate against people who are not like them be it, race, religion, color, or social status.

What ever happened to just being the best canidate for a job or placement in college etc. If the company or institution doesn't want you based on whatever reason would you really want to be working for them or attending classes there.

In the case of colleges, by allowing a certain percentage of student enrollment based on race, aren't you then discriminating against some other group who has better grades from getting into school.

I'm no expert in these issues but it seems like by crying foul all the time you make more excuses for some to not try and better themselves instead of working hard to try and overcome whatever obstacles may be present.

I don't know if regulation is required but I would think teams would want the best coaches they could attract regardless of race. The argument that the development of coaches in college (and before that high school?) should precede NFL employment makes a lot of sense. In fact, that theory holds true in many professions. It will be interesting to see how Turner Gill (a black head coach) does with the University of Buffalo football team. From what I have read Coach Gill is off to a good start which is something that UB needs. But we all know that winning is what dictates success. Anybody that turns the UB program around deserves to move on to bigger and better opportunities. If Coach Gill succeeds in a turnaround then I would expect him to move up. Otherwise, if Gill succeeds and does not move up then it is more than fair to ask why.

People of many races love football and many probably could care less about the ethnicity of the coaches and players. I want my teams to win and I am cool with people of any race getting opportunity yet qualifications and skills are necessary (which doesn't include skin color). But there is no denying that there are some cave people out there that want some illusion of racial purity when it comes to who gets hired.

I do wonder why Art Shell never got another head coaching job. I thought he was a good coach (offensive line and head coach). Maybe he didn't like being a head coach or he simply needed to do something else. I have read that Shell was recently being considered as a candidate for the Raiders HC job.

As for the argument that if a specific employer was racist in their hiring practices would one want to work for them anyways, I would say that depends on many things such as salary, benefits, potential to succeed and ability for the flawed climate to change. If it was me, I might want to take on the challenge and show that I was worthy of being hired. Somebody has to be the first one through the door in order for others to follow.

THE ARGUMENT GOES THAT WITH SO MANY BLACK PLAYERS - A MAJORITY OF THE LEAGUE - THE PERCENT OF BLACK COACHES SHOULD BE ROUGHLY EQUAL VERUS CURRENT PERCENT OF ABOUT 20%.  BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ARGUMENT THAT SAYS SINCE SOCIETY AS A WHOLE IS MOSTLY WHITE, THEN HAVING ONLY A MINORITY OF WHITE PLAYERS POINTS TO A BIAS IN PLAYER SECLECTION THAT WORKS AGAINST WHITES?

YOU DECIDE.

599126[/snapback]

Okay..do me a favor. Go to the library..check out "Roots". Watch it. Slavery, lynching all that stuff. Go get the Burns documentary. Civil war, slavery, Emancipation Proclamation (tall ugly guy with a beard) Thirteenth amendment. Pull out American History II notes. Jim Crow..separate but equal Plessy v. Ferguson. Emmet Till, Voting Rights Act, Violet Liuzzo, freedom riders, Brown v. Board of Education. Segregated sports. Reflecting pool..."I have a dream"...Civil Rights Act, Duke v. Griggs Power. Having reviewed and reflected do you agree this may a be a LITTLE more complicated than the situation you posit?

Okay..do me a favor. Go to the library..check out "Roots".  Watch it. Slavery, lynching all that stuff.  Go get the Burns documentary.  Civil war, slavery, Emancipation Proclamation (tall ugly guy with a beard) Thirteenth amendment.  Pull out American History II notes.  Jim Crow..separate but equal Plessy v. Ferguson.  Emmet Till, Voting Rights Act, Violet Liuzzo, freedom riders, Brown v. Board of Education.  Segregated sports.  Reflecting pool..."I have a dream"...Civil Rights Act, Duke v. Griggs Power. Having reviewed and reflected do you agree this may a be a LITTLE more complicated than the situation you posit?

599465[/snapback]

So what's the solution in your mind? An all-black league with all-black coaches? Would that effectively remedy the sins of Plessy v. Ferguson in your mind?

Perhaps it's not about race. perhaps it's about qualification.