Montana snub revisited..

Tcali

Dont know if people are aware--but the NFL has tried to screw Montana out odf his workers comp benefits and there have been lawsuits etc.Dont know where it presently is legally.

Montana has serious back problems from playing in the nfl--and he has no regular health ins to cover it--so he relied on his werk comp--which the nfl was trying to screw him out of. Even for a relatively wealthy guy like him--he could be in financial trouble if serious surgery or complications happen.

I dont think he is particularly fond of the league.

A lot of [people are really screwed over by the NFL. Most of the owners are greedy stingy B6543stards.

Of course--thats just my opinion.. I could be ever so wrong;)

Dont know if people are aware--but the NFL has tried to screw Montana out odf his workers comp benefits and there have been lawsuits etc.Dont know where it presently is legally.

Montana has serious back problems from playing in the nfl--and he has no regular health ins to cover it--so he relied on his werk comp--which the nfl was trying to screw him out of. Even for a relatively wealthy guy like him--he could be in financial trouble if serious surgery or complications happen.

I dont think he is particularly fond of the league.

A lot of [people are really screwed over by the NFL. Most of the owners are greedy stingy B6543stards.

Of course--thats just my opinion.. I could be ever so wrong;)

598116[/snapback]

There are some very sad stories of early players (E.J. Holub, Jim Otto and others not receiving much in compensation for crippling injuries that they suffered while playing. In their cases, they really weren't paid the salaries of today and have no way of covering medical costs. I haven't looked but I had hoped the NFL or Players Association would have addressed their needs. I hope they have.

There are some very sad stories of early players (E.J. Holub, Jim Otto and others not receiving much in compensation for crippling injuries that they suffered while playing.  In their cases, they really weren't paid the salaries of today and have no way of covering medical costs.  I haven't looked but I had hoped the NFL or Players Association would have addressed their needs.  I hope they have.

598163[/snapback]

The new CBA signed in 93 dealt with alot of those issues, as the pension and health benefits are guaranted for life now, I believe. I also thought it included some benefits for the retired vets, but those may be somewhat limited.

In terms of workers comp, I know the NFL fights vehemently that these guys are independant contractors, and therefor cannot claim the normal benefits of a "w-2 employee". There are several reasons for this, can you just see every guy who got cut filing for unemplyment due to "lack of work". And the teams worker comp insurance would be astronomical if every guy who retired claimed he was owed workers comp for the wear and tear these guys all go through.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there are any players, from any pro league, that get workers comp.

The new CBA signed in 93 dealt with alot of those issues, as the pension and health benefits are guaranted for life now, I believe. I also thought it included some benefits for the retired vets, but those may be somewhat limited.

In terms of workers comp, I know the NFL fights vehemently that these guys are independant contractors, and therefor cannot claim the normal benefits of a "w-2 employee". There are several reasons for this, can you just see every guy who got cut filing for unemplyment due to "lack of work". And the teams worker comp insurance would be astronomical if every guy who retired claimed he was owed workers comp for the wear and tear these guys all go through.

I may be wrong, but I do not think there are any players, from any pro league, that get workers comp.

598168[/snapback]

Whether or not you agree with Montanas position on the work comp issue--Montana doesnt like the league because of it..--and the otherthread on montana is an ignorant babblingfest because they arent aware of what the real issue is.