What's w/the yapping about officiating..?

Boatdrinks

I doubt any official would agree with that- they WANT to do a perfect job, just like we do in our line of work. They dont consider it ok when it does not impact the outcome.

Wrong calls will be made, its the nature of the beast. It happens at all levels of sport, and never will change. I do agree with Mel Kiper's comments that officiating actually has become worse since instant replay.....I wouldnt like everything I do to be that scrutinized either.

599249[/snapback]

With all due respect to Mel Kiper, he's out of his fricking mind.

The very fact that the NFL WON'T release refereeing statistics (you know they keep them) is, in my mind, a tacit acknowledgement by the NFL of deficiencies in refereeing. Look, they wouldn't have implemented IR if the refereeing didn't stink.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect to Mel Kiper, he's out of his fricking mind.

The very fact that the NFL WON'T release refereeing statistics (you know they keep them) is, in my mind, a tacit acknowledgement by the NFL of deficiencies in refereeing. Look, they wouldn't have implemented IR if the refereeing didn't stink.

599290[/snapback]

Well, what would you do to fix the problem?

A lot of people tell me to have guys who get cut from teams learn to officiate- thats great...guys who didn't handle the pressure as players will do a great job under the pressure that officials face.

The fact is that every game has a disputed call or errant call, but most of the time it is not bad enough to affect a game. There is no way to make officiating perfect, it just wont happen.

There is no way to make officiating perfect, it just wont happen.

599383[/snapback]

Maybe there's no way to make officiating perfect, but it certainly can be improved.

Once fans and media accept the bad calls, the officiating won't even get better.

Maybe there's no way to make officiating perfect, but it certainly can be improved.

Once fans and media accept the bad calls, the officiating won't even get better.

599390[/snapback]

and what is your plan.....

599290[/snapback]

That's a bit strong, IMHO. Something doesn't have to "stink" to be able to be improved upon...

CW

OK, so you dont accept bad calls- what happens then.....that is not a plan- do you fire all the experienced guys and start over? :angry:

599757[/snapback]

No, I voice out my feelings about bad calls. I sent mails to NFL and emails to their website. One mail won't do the job, two mails probably won't either, but when there're more and more complains sent to NFL, maybe someday it'll cause NFL to improve the officiating.

You can be negative to sit on your couch and accept the bad calls. :( But there're still fans who want NFL games to get better. If you do nothing, nothing will happen. If you try, things may change.

No, I voice out my feelings about bad calls. I sent mails to NFL and emails to their website. One mail won't do the job, two mails probably won't either, but when there're more and more complains sent to NFL, maybe someday it'll cause NFL to improve the officiating.

You can be negative to sit on your couch and accept the bad calls.  :angry:  But there're still fans who want NFL games to get better.  If you do nothing, nothing will happen. If you try, things may change.

599763[/snapback]

I agree that the superbowl wasnt the best officiated games- but these guys are human, and will always make mistakes. They take great pride in the jobs they do, and do everything they can to eliminate errors. I had an email exchange with the NFL head of officiating some years ago, and he was very appreciative that somebody understands what they go through.

Should Mike Holmgren be fired for the worst coaching job in the history of the superbowl? of course not.

Should the officals be fired for having a sub par performance? of course not. Everybody has a bad day, that was theirs.

What I'd like to see is for the officials to be graded as teams, and have the best ones in the playoffs- not the best officials from each group

Should the officals be fired for having a sub par performance? of course not. Everybody has a bad day, that was theirs.

Agreed.

If the calls "evened out" a bit, I don't think anyone would've complained as much. However, it seemed that every big play was negated by the refs and that's why there's such a public outcry this time and makes people wonder about the game. But that doesn't mean they should all lose their jobs.

CW