ESPN SHOW ON NORWOOD'S 47-YARD MISS

Jim Kelly is why we lost. 2:13 left in the game and the best JK could do was set us up for a 47 yard FG. Thurman was unstoppable that game and JK mismanaged teh clock. It should of been a 19 yard FG. JK !@#$ed up our two minute offense that game. Thats a fact!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Kelly is why we lost.  2:13 left in the game and the best JK could do was set us up for a 47 yard FG.  Thurman was unstoppable that game and JK mismanaged teh clock.  It should of been a 19 yard FG.  JK !@#$ed up our two minute offense that game.  Thats a fact!

593114[/snapback]

Disagree, JK or Norwood wouldn't have been in this position if the D doesn't over pursue all day.

The Giants RB was the MVP of that game, and it was because of his cut back runs, and the Bills D ending up on one sidde of the fields all day long.

Jim Kelly is why we lost.  2:13 left in the game and the best JK could do was set us up for a 47 yard FG.  Thurman was unstoppable that game and JK mismanaged teh clock.  It should of been a 19 yard FG.  JK !@#$ed up our two minute offense that game.  Thats a fact!

593114[/snapback]

I agree a %100; though the D deserves a lot of blame as well but they only allowed 19 points. A lot of people would say we were out coached. On D, there isn't much the coaching staff can do when you have undersized DL, especially at NT against a O hell ebnt on running the ball and an offense that either scores or punts quick leaving you on the field; it's all up to the players to get the job done. On offense if Kelly who called the plays and managed the clock had utilized Thurman earlier in the game against a defense bent on stopping the pass, this game should have been easy as we could have been the ones controlling the clock; much like we did against Miami in the 94 AFC Championship game where we had 2 backs run for over a 100 yards. It was obvious that the Giants could not match up with us and stop both the run and pass and we had them right where we wanted them. The playcalling didn't call for enough runs and who called the plays in the No-Huddle? Look Kelly was a great QB and I loved watching him play but he froze up in that game. And that aside, the last drive was awful clock management as mentioned before they hadn't run the ball all day then they deside to run the ball on that last drive when the clock was running down; thank god Thurman broke a 20 plus run!

Norwood missed a kick from the same hash and same distance in the AFC championship game.

I still have sb25 on tape but I cant bring myself to watch it.

I think the outcome of the ame was the Giants tactic of bulldozing down the field and eating the clock.

I still recall that Giants defenders would get these imnjuries at critical junctions ONLY to leave field and be back one play later.  Seemed like this happened frequently as a way to slow down the no huddle.  Cheaters win it seems in the NFL

592603[/snapback]

Bill Parcells refused to deny that he had told his players to fake injuries.....

the key to the loss was our Defense constant over pursuit of the Giants running game

Norwood should have never had to be in that position, but he was and it happened

593111[/snapback]

I bleieve Shane Conlan (a great run stopper) was injured for that game. Wasn't there a safety who was out with a staph infection (L. Smith?) for that game as well? I wonder why so much blame is put on the offense when the fact that we couldn't get the Giants off the field for most of the game seemed to be the biggest factor.

I bleieve Shane Conlan (a great run stopper) was injured for that game.  Wasn't there a safety who was out with a staph infection (L. Smith?) for that game as well? I wonder why so much blame is put on the offense when the fact that we couldn't get the Giants off the field for most of the game seemed to be the biggest factor.

593282[/snapback]

That was XXVI - Conlan injured his knee early in the first quarter, and the infection in Smith's knee turned out to be career-ending.

I bleieve Shane Conlan (a great run stopper) was injured for that game.  Wasn't there a safety who was out with a staph infection (L. Smith?) for that game as well? I wonder why so much blame is put on the offense when the fact that we couldn't get the Giants off the field for most of the game seemed to be the biggest factor.

593282[/snapback]

I've never understood this criticsm myself. Let's not forget that the Giants boasted the #1 defense in the NFL that year -- and our offense managed to score a point per minute. The fault squarely lies on the defense for allowing 9 and 10 minute long drives, which kept the offense off the field. If you look back, it's not as if Kelly went completely pass-happy. The dude completed 60% of his passes in that game -- and didn't turn the ball over against a superior defense that routinely had 8 or 9 guys in pass coverage. Also, as mentioned, that doesn't even account for the numerous drops -- which to be fair to Andre, he was beaten to a pulp by LBs and Safeties.

The real story of the game is that we lost the battle of 3rd down conversions. The Giants were better than 50% on converting 3rd downs -- and we only converted (if memory serves me correctly) one or two all game. Indeed, when it mattered most and when we needed to make plays to keep the chains moving on offense we didn't get it done. And when the defense needed badly to get off the field, they couldn't force the Giants into 3-and-outs. I've always felt that the Norwood missed FG obscured this fact.

In a sick, twisted way, the Norwood miss in the closing seconds has served to make the Bills almost like a tragic folk hero. The added notoriety has probably given that team more notoriety than they ever would have generated had they won the game. No one, for example, really talks about the Giants, who actually won the game. Instead of praising Parcells and his staff for putting together one of the great gameplans in NFL history, all we hear about is the Norwood miss. Maybe that's why I wasn't so upset back then with the outcome -- especially, since I had a feeling that we'd make it back. But if I had known how the other games would turn out -- and the fact that I really think we would have won at least one more of the others if we didn't have this loser's albotross around our neck -- well, it just makes that missed opportunity 15 years ago that much harder to take.