Would you trade Holcomb to Miami

Orton's Arm

Would you trade Holcomb to Miami for a 3rd round pick?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Holcomb to Miami for a 3rd round pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Gus Frerotte's QB rating for 2005 was 71.9. Holcomb's was 85.6. Holcomb knows Mike Mularkey's offense, and could make an immediate impact for the Dolphins. The Dolphins seem to have enough talent to be able to do something, except the QB position is holding them back. So would you trade them Holcomb--a guy who would help them win now--to get a 3rd round pick who might help us win later?

Gus Frerotte's QB rating for 2005 was 71.9. Holcomb's was 85.6. Holcomb knows Mike Mularkey's offense, and could make an immediate impact for the Dolphins. The Dolphins seem to have enough talent to be able to do something, except the QB position is holding them back. So would you trade them Holcomb--a guy who would help them win now--to get a 3rd round pick who might help us win later?

591171[/snapback]

Sure. But why would Saban suddenly see the light now and trade a third to have Holcomb on board for one year when he could have signed him with no draft pick compensation last year?

This scenario doesn't add up for Miami, IMO. But I'd love it if they'd like to be ripped off.

Besideswhich, Mularkey has already seen firsthand how Sage Rosenfels can pick apart a (certain) defense. Perhaps he'll go with the younger hand. Or maybe they get Vince Young (shudder).

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

591171[/snapback]

In a heartbeat! I don't understand why Miami would do something like this, but to answer your question, yes, yes I would. Did I mention in a heartbeat?

We need a backup. Holcomb's okay. I can't see trading for a third and then drafting a qb to back up (leaving us with less of a team for next year, without any reliable backup) or pissing away a lot of cap dollars for a backup qb. For next year we aren't going to do any better than the status quo...jp to start kh backup.

In a heartbeat. i don't see Miami making that trade.

I love that Holcomb is here (i was very happy when TD signed him). But, for a thrid round pick, "c ya" (sorry Simon). We can pick up another "Holcomb" as a FA.

That might come back to bite us in the ass, though, if we sign the wrong "other Holcomb". Kelly's demonstrated he can run the O when given the right game plan.

I don't know if either team would be interested. Rosenfels may turn out to be pretty good. Miami seemed to turn the corner this year, especially with their defense. A tough defense makes it a little easier to be patient with a young qb's development. And Holcomb may be the best qb on the current Bills roster at least for the short term. And with that third round pick? Horrors!

Trade Josh Reed to Miami for a third round pick.

Sure.  But why would Saban suddenly see the light now and trade a third to have Holcomb on board for one year when he could have signed him with no draft pick compensation last year?

Three reasons: 1) Holcomb's passer rating in 2005 was substantially higher than his prior career average. 2) Frerotte may not have performed up to Saban's expectations. 3) The arrival of Mike Mularkey.

I'm not saying the Dolphins will make us this offer, just that there's a chance they might.

3) The arrival of Mike Mularkey.

I'm not saying the Dolphins will make us this offer, just that there's a chance they might.

591203[/snapback]

oh i see where you are going. a lot of former head coaches do sign their former players to their new team. i will be interested to see if Mularkey has any interest in any Bills offensive players.

my guess is no. but if he were to go after anyone, i could see him trying to get Holcomb.

oh i see where you are going.  a lot of former head coaches do sign their former players to their new team.  i will be interested to see if Mularkey has any interest in any Bills offensive players.

my guess is no.  but if he were to go after anyone, i could see him trying to get Holcomb.

591207[/snapback]

Perhaps we could also see if Mularkey would be interested in those rock solid guards of ours. It all begins with the offensive line. 0:)

We could send them a sixth and a seventh to draft their eventual replacements, just to be fair.

I'm pretty firmly convinced that in the hands of someone like Mularkey, Vince Young would be a player we would NOT want to face twice a year.

591212[/snapback]

I agree that he could turn out to be really something. But, i doubt it's going to be this year. And I'd rather have Miami spend the #1 on him than the Bills.

Of course, if he'd just go to the NFC west...that would be much better.

I agree that he could turn out to be really something.  But, i doubt it's going to be this year.  And I'd rather have Miami spend the #1 on him than the Bills.

Of course, if he'd just go to the NFC west...that would be much better.

591223[/snapback]

True on all counts. Saints, help us out here.

Three reasons: 1) Holcomb's passer rating in 2005 was substantially higher than his prior career average. 2) Frerotte may not have performed up to Saban's expectations. 3) The arrival of Mike Mularkey.

591203[/snapback]

I just really doubt it. It's like trading in a '92 Chevy in for a '94, when you really want a Jaguar. Frerotte's is pretty much the same smart, efficient, low reward percentage game that Holcomb runs. Or at least it was before Frerotte lost his battle with a wall.

oh i see where you are going.  a lot of former head coaches do sign their former players to their new team.

591207[/snapback]

Good observation. It is a natural inclination. I don't recall the figures, but Cincy HC Lewis brought in something like a dozen ex-Skins and Ravens onto the team.