TD dealings were flamboyant, expect the new

Tipster19

With Donahoe anything was game. Like it or not, the guy was very unpredictable. Mostly in the draft is when you would find TD at his cunningest. Move up (JP), move down (Henry), draft this guy early (MaGahee) or draft this guy (Kelsay) at a later round. He did ALWAYS made it interesting. With this new regime I find it hard to believe that there is going to be anything but a safe, middle of the road approach. I'm not saying that this a good or a bad thing, I just don't know. There is pros and cons to both philosophies I'm sure. Does anyone have any comments and opinions on what we should expect in this upcoming draft and future personnel? I would love to speculate but just don't know what to expect. Maybe some of the veteran posters would have a good, concise insight(s) to offer.

With Donahoe anything was game. Like it or not, the guy was very unpredictable. Mostly in the draft is when you would find TD at his cunningest. Move up (JP), move down (Henry), draft this guy early (MaGahee) or draft this guy (Kelsay) at a later round. He did ALWAYS made it interesting. With this new regime I find it hard to believe that there is going to be anything but a safe, middle of the road approach. I'm not saying that this a good or a bad thing, I just don't know. There is pros and cons to both philosophies I'm sure. Does anyone have any comments and opinions on what we should expect in this upcoming draft and future personnel? I would love to speculate but just don't know what to expect. Maybe some of the veteran posters would have a good, concise insight(s) to offer.

586292[/snapback]

Marv will probably draft a corner with his first pick. When the draftee's 5 or 6 year contract is expired, Marv will be either 86, 87, or dead. At this time, the CB will leave the Bills as a UFA, as did Odoms, T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, and perhaps Nate.

Marv will probably draft a corner with his first pick. When the draftee's 5 or 6 year contract is expired, Marv will be either 86, 87, or dead. At this time, the CB will leave the Bills as a UFA, as did Odoms, T. Smith, Burress, Winfield, and perhaps Nate.

586294[/snapback]

And you would draft a player expecting him to be here 12 years?

Get him cheap for 5 years, let him walk - sounds like smart cap management to me.

586292[/snapback]

Unless marv has lost his vision he will clearly assess the present needs of the team. Keeping Nate and getting some quality players on both sides of the ball. One thing though, I dont' expect Marv to go on a spending frenzy as TD seemed more of the type of guy who will go get the most expensive (DB, TKO, Milloy). I expect the Bills to be a solid team after two offseasons.

I think the answer to you question is that any team has more than one goal (just win baby for example, sell tickers and make money is a potentially related but is a really different thing than winning, the guy in charge dealing with his own personal demons).

Any answer which is based on pursuit of just one goal or is based on some selection of one drive for descision making is almost certainly going to be wrong and if it is right on the outcome it probably is coincidence.

A real problem occurs when quite often the pursuit of these goals results in contradictory choices being the best way to accomplish them.

A business ignores the customers at its own risk, but sometimes in order for the team to be the winner it means that football guys in charge better ignore the bleatings of customers to make this move or that move because its the popular choice.

Teams often flow back and forth between emphasizing goals and one day will empasize satisfying the customer (ex. drafting a well regarded QB as the 1st round pick where if Pitt wins the SB, it will mark the 1st time a 1st round QB pick delivered an SB win to the team which chose him since Dallas chose Aikman in 1989) other times the same team might be in control of guys who think they have a winning vision on their hands and they will simply ignore popular pressure to stay the course .

My sense is this Bills team is really likely to emphasize winning more than satiafying the fan base with particular moves because it is unclear how long Ralph will remain on this earth. I think this is reflecte by Marv's statement that the goal is to win now.

Though I think that you are correct that the Golden Boys in charge are inerently conservative types (the occaisional advanture like the $10K RWS "risked" to buy the Bills was chump change for him compared to the real money he was spending on his construction business that has made him a multi-millionaire) I think that the desire to win before RWS dies will actually cause the Bills to make some fairly dynamic moves.

I think that ultimately things fell apart between RWS and TD when it became clear that he really had used the 05 season as a training camp for JP and if the D carried this team to the playoffs that was great but really he was on a 2 year plan to even make the playoffs if it occured in 2006 and even if JP worked out it might take until 07.

Particularly when this years D did not come anywhere near its stated goal of being another 85 Bears or Ravens D (my sense is that this D actually performed badly because they lost a little of their edge when they sensed that TD had really decided to use this year to train JP rather than go for it. Ironically, i think TD and MM disagreed over this same point as MM wanted to maximize chances of winning now using Holcomb where YD was interested in justifying his decision to go with JP) there was no way thar RWS could stand for simply training for the future when there was no sign of JP positive development and we were losing bad so waiting was painful.

I think you actually are incorrect to peg TD as being purely a force of radical moves, his decision to cut Bledsoe and train JP was actually a conservative one to the extent it was a choice to invest for the longer term rather than win now.

I also think it is a mistake to present the modern NFL team as really representing one man's vision. TD made final decisions but ultimately it was a partnership as:

1. The modern NFL team is simply too big of a business for one guy to really run and determine everything.

2. TD had a passive/aggressive management style where he seemed to be willing to let someone else like GW have his way as long as he avoided responsibility for GW mistakes. For example, TD apparently gave in to GW on whom to get to replace Sheppard as OC and gave in to GW's choice Kevin Killdrive and stalled off on hiring his choice Clements til GW was gone (at least that is how TD stated it in the welcome MM press conference.

3. TD really went back and forth getting Bledsoe (a radical move unexoected by many which worked one year) however, he took the conservative approach of staying with him and extending him. He then took a radical move of cutting Bledsoe (though ultimately by commiting to a long-term payoff from JP this can also reasonably be categorized as a conservative choice.

At any rate I look for what can reasonably be described by some as some coming radical moves from the Golden Boys as they attempt to win now, they are gonna die soon anyway so $ don't matter as much if radical moves screw up . and success is going to be found more in Marv administering a bunch of forces and thus lettimg them do some wild things than it will this inexperienced GM having one way to do things which he follows all the time.

It well may not work but I think it will be a wild ride.

586294[/snapback]

you are correct.

Since Ngata, Brick and Hawk will be gone, and Marv will not trade, Wiliams will be the pick.

If he can't converet to corner, think Henry Jones type SS who will shut down the TE.

Safee pick in that you wil get 1st production if only as nickle back.

If he can't converet to corner, think Henry Jones type SS who will shut down the TE.

Safee pick in that you wil get 1st production if only as nickle back.

Boy, wouldn't that be something.. not getting killed by the oppositions TE, game in and game out.. :lol:

Although, I hope you're wrong about Ngata.. for whatever reason, I really have my heart setting on getting him. :ph34r: