Talk coordinators all you want

Like A Mofo

Personally I would welcome the switch to the 3-4 defense.  When run correctly and with the right personnel, that defense seems to succeed more often then not.

With Spikes (hopefully healthy) and Fletcher, I think its realistic to think the Bills can move to a 3-4 style.

584713[/snapback]

I read somewhere that the 3-4 has atendency of having a lot of injuries to the OLBs and center of the Line. That makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I remember when the Bills did run the 3-4, one huge reason they were somewhat successful was because Rusty Jones had them conditioned very well. The other reason was because they had great depth.

Right now, the Bills would have a problem filling the starting LBs and the D-Line in a 3-4.

Another key is the DC. To do the 3-4 successfully, you really need a DC with experience and frankly, those two guys are Wade Phillips or Ted Cotrell. Not to many others seem to do it real successfullt over a sustained amount of time.

I agree whole heartedly with your first post...its always nice to read a thread that doesn't imply impending doom in our future.

As for the 3-4...I'm a major advocate of this style of defense.  I think our LB core of Spikes-Crowell-Fletcher-Posey could be a bigtime threat.  Posey, who has been incorrectly used in our past 4-3 defenses would get the chance to prove why he was picked up from the Texans where he flourished in the 3-4.  Crowell is a playmaker who would definately compliment and support Spikes coming off his injury.

The only problem I have with the 3-4 and this team is I dont believe our DL could handle it.  The lack of size in our defensive front would get swallowed up quickly by opposing OLs...just like we saw this year with a 4 man front.  Sam Adams is a bit too slow to be really productive as a NT, but I have a feeling his days are numbered in Buffalo anyways. 

If the Bills are serious about making the switch to the 3-4, I would highly recommend that we take Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata with the first pick.  Williams has the size and speed to still be an effective pass rusher out of the 3-4 and Ngata has played NT throughout his college career.

Also, an alternative to the 3-4 that I wouldn't mind seeing or at least experimenting with during training camp is the 3-3-5 bandit defense.  While it is similar to the 3-4, instead of having 4 established LBs on the field there are 3 set LBs 4 set DBs and a roving bandit which is typically a SS or a very fast LB.  the bandits job is typically to blitz or provide cover for another blitzing player.  I think Milloy would fill the position of bandit nicely.  Just a thought of mine.

584751[/snapback]

Sam Adams a bit too slow? For his size, his initial burst is amazingly quick. What I don't see is Sam being willing to give him self up and tie up multiple blockers, which is required by a nose tackle in a 3-4. Also, when watching Sam, as big as he is, double teams generally neutralize him fairly well.

The Bills do not currently have the proper personnel (DL's) to run a decent 3-4. Every time this subject comes up, it always ends with the same conclusion. It's starting to get old.

Sam Adams a bit too slow? For his size, his initial burst is amazingly quick. What I don't see is Sam being willing to give him self up and tie up multiple blockers, which is required by a nose tackle in a 3-4. Also, when watching Sam, as big as he is, double teams generally neutralize him fairly well.

The Bills do not currently have the proper personnel (DL's) to run a decent 3-4. Every time this subject comes up, it always ends with the same conclusion. It's starting to get old.

585183[/snapback]

He definately has a great burst...but that burst dies soon as he meets contact. Without enough recovery speed to get back into a play he's basically useless on plays that run around him. Matched with his inability to handle double teams past initial contact makes him useless in a 3-4