Reason for Optimism

I think that we have good reasons to be optimistic about this OC hireing. Mike Martz is one of the best in the league at designing plays, but at times he is too stubborn to make the correct in game call. (remember the playoff game when he ran out the clock to go into overtime, or his lack of desire to ren the ball)

What we have here is a guy that could have easily copied much of the Rams excellent playbook, but who has background as a RB coach. I would hope that this background will increase his desire to balance the offense that he learned while working in St. Louis. Which would put him in the position to make good decisions about offensive game management.

I think that we have good reasons to be optimistic about this OC hireing.  Mike Martz is one of the best in the league at designing plays, but at times he is too stubborn to make the correct in game call.  (remember the playoff game when he ran out the clock to go into overtime, or his lack of desire to ren the ball)

What we have here is a guy that could have easily copied much of the Rams excellent playbook, but who has background as a RB coach.  I would hope that this background will increase his desire to balance the offense that he learned while working in St. Louis.  Which would put him in the position to make good decisions about offensive game management.

584453[/snapback]

The Rams offense under both Warner and Bulger is designed to be executed by a pocket passer making quick decisions.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be JP's strong suit.

JP may become a casualty of a change in offensive philosophy from Mullarkey who wanted a mobile gadget QB to the more traditional Ram style.

But then again, maybe Fairchild likes those trick plays :)