Downloading shows off the Internet

Scraps

No, not legal.

You can use iTunes and download shows, but it costs $1.99/each.

CW

584407[/snapback]

Quick question. Whats the difference between someone recording a season of a show on VHS tape and keeping it/burning it to DVD, versus downloading a TV show and burning it to DVD?

Quick question. Whats the difference between someone recording a season of a show on VHS tape and keeping it/burning it to DVD, versus downloading a TV show and burning it to DVD?

584479[/snapback]

In a word: Distribution.

When you record to a VHS tape, you're doing so with the permission of the original copyright holder (well, more like with the LAW, since the copyright holders tried quahsing that in the betamax case...).

When you download, you're taking control of the distribution away from the original copyright holder - they didn't give their permission for you to be able to view/download it. That's why iTunes downloads are legal -- the copyright holder gave permission (for a cut of the procedes).

Obviously you CAN download shows, music, etc. But the question was whether it was legal or not.

CW

In a word: Distribution.

When you record to a VHS tape, you're doing so with the permission of the original copyright holder (well, more like with the LAW, since the copyright holders tried quahsing that in the betamax case...).

When you download, you're taking control of the distribution away from the original copyright holder - they didn't give their permission for you to be able to view/download it.  That's why iTunes downloads are legal -- the copyright holder gave permission (for a cut of the procedes).

Obviously you CAN download shows, music, etc.  But the question was whether it was legal or not.

CW

584480[/snapback]

ok, if i'm understanding correctly...i can watch TV for free (after i've paid my cable bill)and tape it or convert to DVD or whatever because I watched the show directly, but its not ok to d/l because SOMEONE ELSE is distributing the show?

ok, if i'm understanding correctly...i can watch TV for free (after i've paid my cable bill)and tape it or convert to DVD or whatever because I watched the show directly, but its not ok to d/l because SOMEONE ELSE is distributing the show?

584493[/snapback]

Yup, that pretty much sums up the law.

It's also technically illegal for you to tape a show and give it to someone else (even if it's the only copy). Go figure.

CW

Why don't you just stop beating around the bush and just ask if somebody can tell about a site where you can go and download your shows illegally for free.... :)

584619[/snapback]

Getting to the point, I missed Lost last night and would like to see it before the next episode.

I've found plenty of P2P sights that will let me download this stuff but the legality struck me a sketchy and I really don't want a call from the FBI.

Getting to the point, I missed Lost last night and would like to see it before the next episode.

I've found plenty of P2P sights that will let me download this stuff but the legality struck me a sketchy and I really don't want a call from the FBI.

584683[/snapback]

You can download Lost episodes from iTunes.

That said, downloading an episode off the net will *probably* not get you a call from the FBI. Yes, it's illegal, but if it's small potatos like that, chances are nobody will care....

...but don't complain to me if they do. :)

CW

I would like to know where to go download for free, episodes of TV programs (legal or illegal). Prefer it not be peer-to-peer. If anyone knows any wildcat/pirate sites, please post it or drop me a PM.

I am not affiliated with any law enforcement agency in any way. I will not use this info in ANY negative way (for the site or the source). I just need to know for some personal reasons.

Thanks

i hear alot of people are using http://thepiratebay.org/ for their torrenting needs

i haven't heard of anyone getting caught downloading tv shows, but i personally wouldn't use it myself just in case they do want to catch someone

i did use http://www.torrentspy.com/ once to grab a bills game

was wondering in the following days if the NFL was going to kick my ass

That said, downloading an episode off the net will *probably* not get you a call from the FBI.  Yes, it's illegal, but if it's small potatos like that, chances are nobody will care....

...but don't complain to me if they do. :lol:

CW

584739[/snapback]

If you downloaded thousands of shows, I would expect that they might pay you a visit.

Doing it once I don't think they would care.

Also, they would be going after the people/ person who put it out there. They are the ones distributing it, not the person downloading.

The law might say both people are doing something illegal, but realistically they are probably interested in bigger fish than some guy who missed lost one week.

THIS MESSAGE IN NO WAY SAYS IT ALLRIGHT TO DO IT THOUGH!!!

That said, downloading an episode off the net will *probably* not get you a call from the FBI.  Yes, it's illegal, but if it's small potatos like that, chances are nobody will care....

...but don't complain to me if they do. :lol:

CW

584739[/snapback]

One of the issues I have with the P2P process is that I'm a bit concerned I might end up creating some vulnerability in my computer. I'm rather confident that won't happen with i-tunes.