Jauron's drafts

TPS

Wanted to get an idea of the drafts the Bears' had under Jauron. Difficult to make overall judgements, but focusing on his top 3 picks in each year (1999-2003):

2 QBs (McNown and Grossman)

4 OL

2 WR

1 RB

2 DL

3 DB

1 LB

I didn't take the time to find out what happened to a lot of these guys (injuries, etc), but I'd say his drafts look above average (top 1/3?). First two years look like good foundation building, then the 3rd year he went for some Prime time players (Terrell and Thomas). He's had a couple of good late round picks (4-7), but not a lot--Colvin, Azumah, and Brown.

Maybe someone with more time can do a more in depth analysis.

Bears' draft history

1999 was the worst year for the Bears in the draft...

Da Bears had the #7 pick and were targeting Donovan McNabb and Daunte Culpepper at QB. Not much luck trading up to get hometwon hero McNabb so the Bears traded down to the 12 spot and were hoping that Culpepper would still be on the board. He went at 11 and we got stuck with Cade McNown.

A dark day in Bears history indeed...

Not really.  Mark Hatley drafted most of the players without input from Jauron and once Jerry Angelo came in, Jauron was shut out of the draft room.

580121[/snapback]

That explains a lot.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/CHI

Looking from 1995-2003: some talent on defense, but a whole lot of high-round flops on offense....

Not really.  Mark Hatley drafted most of the players without input from Jauron and once Jerry Angelo came in, Jauron was shut out of the draft room.

580121[/snapback]

No wonder the Bears lost and he got canned because not conferring and making the guy who handles the players on the field a central part of the selection of players is a recipe for disaster.

I hope the sense that he was not the top dog in charge of Chicago is not meant as some slam on Jauron for not throwing his weight around because it actually provides more of an excuse to let him off the hook for some bad Chicago results under his tenure.