Garbage Plates

Hirly5

The Food Network is doing a show about Garbage Plates tonight. It is a re-air but I missed it the first time around. I haven't had a garbage plate since I graduated college. The memories of going to Tahoes at 3 am or the much less crowded Henrietta Hots after a stop at the Kat never go away.

mmmmm Garbage Plates

The Food Network is doing a show about Garbage Plates tonight.  It is a re-air but I missed it the first time around.  I haven't had a garbage plate since I graduated college.  The memories of going to Tahoes at 3 am or the much less crowded Henrietta Hots after a stop at the Kat never go away.

mmmmm Garbage Plates

580023[/snapback]

I've see the show a few times. It's a good one!!!

If you've been away from WNY for a while, the accents of the speakers are a warming recollection of home. :D

I've see the show a few times. It's a good one!!!

If you've been away from WNY for a while, the accents of the speakers are a warming recollection of home. :lol:

580051[/snapback]

What accents?...Oh... That is because you live in "Sin Sin Nat ta." I take it you get a strong hillbilly tone down there that becomes unbearable?

Don't shoot me, I am just the messenger!

:D;)

The Food Network is doing a show about Garbage Plates tonight.  It is a re-air but I missed it the first time around.  I haven't had a garbage plate since I graduated college.  The memories of going to Tahoes at 3 am or the much less crowded Henrietta Hots after a stop at the Kat never go away.

mmmmm Garbage Plates

580023[/snapback]

man...i live less than a mile away from the kat and i've never set foot in that joint

dunno anyone who has been there either

any idea when this is showing again?

What accents?...Oh... That is because you live in "Sin Sin Nat ta."  I take it you get a strong hillbilly tone down there that becomes unbearable?

:D  :doh:

580120[/snapback]

Not much of an accent here - the word "for" is pronunced like "four" instead of "fur", and we drink "water" as opposed to "waarrrr". :P

Now, when I lived in Pittsburgh (Picksberg), I noticed quite a local patois (pronounced "pat-toys" there).

Examples:

"Did yuns red up yer room" - translation: Did you clean up your room?

"Dawn, are those new tars on yer cor?" - translation: Don, are those new tires on your car?

And French took a real beating. Versailles is pronounced "Ver-Sales"; Lake Conneaut is called "Lake Connie-aht".

I was impressed that Duquesne was correctly voiced, though. It could have been "Dew-kwes-knee". :lol:

Not much of an accent here - the word "for" is pronunced like "four" instead of "fur", and we drink "water" as opposed to "waarrrr".  :P

Now, when I lived in Pittsburgh (Picksberg), I noticed quite a local patois (pronounced "pat-toys" there).

Examples:

"Did yuns red up yer room" - translation: Did you clean up your room?

"Dawn, are those new tars on yer cor?" - translation: Don, are those new tires on your car?

And French took a real beating. Versailles is pronounced "Ver-Sales"; Lake Conneaut is called "Lake Connie-aht".

I was impressed that Duquesne was correctly voiced, though. It could have been "Dew-kwes-knee". :lol:

581518[/snapback]

:)

I thought "yuins" is also a Missouri (Missoura :D ) variation.

:)

I thought "yuins" is also a Missouri  (Missoura  :D ) variation.

581982[/snapback]

Could be. Both can be used with singular and plural intent.

I like variations of speech. I have never understood folks who wonder why they are disliked by Southerners, just because they travel there and then proceed to mock the local accents. :lol::P

What accents?...Oh... That is because you live in "Sin Sin Nat ta."  I take it you get a strong hillbilly tone down there that becomes unbearable?

:lol:  :)

580120[/snapback]

There is definitely some kind of accent going on around Cincy. It was the first thing I noticed about my friends from the area when I came to school. It is kinda like a toned down southern/hillbillyish accent. Very hard to define it but it's pretty distinct.