What if

Griz

While I do not think that will happen, your unwritten point is correct. The proof here will be who else is brought in, not only coaches but players. Most of us will have a very clear understanding as to where this team will be going by early July.

I'd be happy. I would think Marv and Ralph were bloody geniuses, and I would personally send Ralph an apology card. But it definately will not happen. Ralph doesn't care about his team the way Dan Snyder cares about his.

I'd be happy. I would think Marv and Ralph were bloody geniuses, and I would personally send Ralph an apology card. But it definately will not happen. Ralph doesn't care about his team the way Dan Snyder cares about his.

579819[/snapback]

I think that is an unfair assessment, as Danny Boy is a rich boy trying to play fantasy football with real money and real people's lives. With all of the money he's spent -- and the SERIOUS cap problems that lie on the horizon -- aside from this season, the Redskins have actually been WORSE in this millenium than our beloved Bills.

It sounds like the decision to bring in DJ was really Marv's. It remains to be seen whether or not this was the RIGHT choice or not, but at least I am glad that Ralph is leaving it up to his chosen GM to makes these decisions himself, rather than imposing his own point of view.

One thing that Danny Boy never has understood is that, more than any other sport, the best teams in the NFL are the teams with the best whole, rather than just a sum of their parts. Even though we may not see DJ as the best possible candidate, maybe he fits best into the framework of what Marv is trying to put together. I'm willing to give the golden boys the benefit of the doubt... for now.

I think that is an unfair assessment, as Danny Boy is a rich boy trying to play fantasy football with real money and real people's lives. With all of the money he's spent -- and the SERIOUS cap problems that lie on the horizon -- aside from this season, the Redskins have actually been WORSE in this millenium than our beloved Bills.

It sounds like the decision to bring in DJ was really Marv's. It remains to be seen whether or not this was the RIGHT choice or not, but at least I am glad that Ralph is leaving it up to his chosen GM to makes these decisions himself, rather than imposing his own point of view.

One thing that Danny Boy never has understood is that, more than any other sport, the best teams in the NFL are the teams with the best whole, rather than just a sum of their parts. Even though we may not see DJ as the best possible candidate, maybe he fits best into the framework of what Marv is trying to put together. I'm willing to give the golden boys the benefit of the doubt... for now.

579886[/snapback]

It think it is a fair assessment. Yes, Snyder learned the hard way that he cannot meddle so much in the team's day-to-day ops and player decisions. Once he learned that, he figured out it is all about coaching. He kept his wallet wide open and bribed Gibbs out of retirement. Now Snyder does what the hall of fame coach asks, including retaining one of the best DCs and signing one of the best OCs. Make no mistake about it, Gibbs is calling the shots now. Snyder is doing what a good owner should -- giving the coach/GM what he wants.

As for the comment "aside from this season, the Redskins have actually been WORSE in this millenium than our beloved Bills" -- yeah, and aside from that Richard my brother is a sister. The fact is that the Redskins' ship is now on the right route.

Odds are that Jauron will bring in some of his assistants from his Chicago days. John Shoop should be waiting by the phone...he was just let go as the Raiders QB coach after Norv was fired. He should be ready to rejoin Jauron as they were very tight.

Gary Crowton might get a call from Jauron as they are close and Crowton is currently the QB Coach and OC at Oregon. He runs an imaginitive spread offense that is a bit gimmicky but makes the most out of limited offensive talent.

Greg Olson who served as QB coach in Chicago as well as Detroit will get consideration.

Greg Blache was Jauron's DC in Chicago and is currently the DL coach in Washington, he'll be getting a call. Anyone from the Holmgren/Mariucci/Coughlin coaching tree that is currently unemployed or could use a promotion, will be getting a call from Jauron. Coaches like familiarity with their staffs, I assume Jauron will be no different.

Odds are that Jauron will bring in some of his assistants from his Chicago days.  John Shoop should be waiting by the phone...he was just let go as the Raiders QB coach after Norv was fired.  He should be ready to rejoin Jauron as they were very tight.

Gary Crowton might get a call from Jauron as they are close and Crowton is currently the QB Coach and OC at Oregon.  He runs an imaginitive spread offense that is a bit gimmicky but makes the most out of limited offensive talent. 

Greg Olson who served as QB coach in Chicago as well as Detroit will get consideration. 

Greg Blache was Jauron's DC in Chicago and is currently the DL coach in Washington, he'll be getting a call.  Anyone from the Holmgren/Mariucci/Coughlin coaching tree that is currently unemployed or could use a promotion, will be getting a call from Jauron.  Coaches like familiarity with their staffs, I assume Jauron will be no different.

579976[/snapback]

Sadly I feel you are correct.

I'd rather bring in Walt Corey and Joe Pendry.

Odds are that Jauron will bring in some of his assistants from his Chicago days.  John Shoop should be waiting by the phone...he was just let go as the Raiders QB coach after Norv was fired.  He should be ready to rejoin Jauron as they were very tight.

Gary Crowton might get a call from Jauron as they are close and Crowton is currently the QB Coach and OC at Oregon.  He runs an imaginitive spread offense that is a bit gimmicky but makes the most out of limited offensive talent. 

Greg Blache was Jauron's DC in Chicago and is currently the DL coach in Washington, he'll be getting a call.  Anyone from the Holmgren/Mariucci/Coughlin coaching tree that is currently unemployed or could use a promotion, will be getting a call from Jauron.  Coaches like familiarity with their staffs, I assume Jauron will be no different.

579976[/snapback]

The Holmgren tree isn't too bad.

Even if Crowton isn't brought aboard, he could be a valuable asset to the new HC when the team decided if they want to take Ngata in the 1st.

Blache isn't too bad, but there are better available right now.

The Holmgren tree isn't too bad.

Even if Crowton isn't brought aboard, he could be a valuable asset to the new HC when the team decided if they want to take Ngata in the 1st.

Blache isn't too bad, but there are better available right now.

580005[/snapback]

Blache would come cheaply as he is looking for a DC position to solidify his HC credentials again. He got some interviews back in 2001 and 2002 for jobs but never closed the deal. If Jauron throws him a bone, he has some defensive talent to work with and could quickly establish himself as a HC prospect quickly. He's certainly not going to get an opportunity like that in Washington under Gibbs/Williams.

My predictions:

OC - Greg Olson

DC - Greg Blache

QB Coach - John Shoop

I could be wrong...

Isnt Greg Blache the DC at DC? Yeah I know Greggo calls the defensive shots, but his title is asst HC while Blache has the DC title, so I'm not sure the Bills could hire him for the same position.

580028[/snapback]

The coaching titles in Washington are pretty bizarre.

Joe Gibbs - Head Coach/Team President

Joe Bugel - Assistant Head Coach - Offense

Gregg Williams - Assistant Head Coach - Defense

Al Saunders - Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator

Don Breaux - Offensive Coordinator

Greg Blache - Defensive Line Coach/Defensive Coordinator

Williams works on the gameplan with Blache and Lindsey and makes all the calls on gameday.

They also have a Passing Game Coordinator and a few other mix and match positions. If the Bills were going to offer Greg Blache the actual Defensive Coordinator position, I doubt the Redskins would put up a fight on a tecnicality, being the DC of the Bills is clearly an upgrade over his current shared responsibility position in DC.

Gregg Williams - Assistant  Head Coach - Defense

Williams works on the gameplan with Blache and Lindsey and makes all the calls on gameday. 

They also have a Passing Game Coordinator and a few other mix and match positions.  If the Bills were going to offer Greg Blache the actual Defensive Coordinator position, I doubt the Redskins would put up a fight on a tecnicality, being the DC of the Bills is clearly an upgrade over his current shared responsibility position in DC.

580045[/snapback]

I think the NFL makes the final decision, and I believe that you're right in that the Skins would likely have to let Blache go for free if the Bills wanted him as DC. I'd be happy with this move. I could see Williams talking Blache out of coming to Buffalo though. I am sure Gregg has no love for Ralph, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Skins go to the 2007 Superbowl, have Gibbs retire and hand over the reins to Williams, allowing Blache to get a Superbowl ring and move into the real DC spot in '07.

Gregg Williams - Assistant  Head Coach - Defense

They also have a Passing Game Coordinator and a few other mix and match positions.  If the Bills were going to offer Greg Blache the actual Defensive Coordinator position, I doubt the Redskins would put up a fight on a tecnicality, being the DC of the Bills is clearly an upgrade over his current shared responsibility position in DC.

580045[/snapback]

Thanks. Agreed, being DC in Buffalo would be an upgrade over his current duties, but based on the title, and not the actual job description, the Bills would need to get permission, and knowing how Snyder is regarding retaining assistants, I would imagine he would either refuse, or seek some form of compensation.

Thanks. Agreed, being DC in Buffalo would be an upgrade over his current duties, but based on the title, and not the actual job description, the Bills would need to get permission, and knowing how Snyder is regarding retaining assistants, I would imagine he would either refuse, or seek some form of compensation.

580055[/snapback]

Snyder would lose out, especially if the Bills gave Blache the same title Gregg has in Washington now.

I think the NFL makes the final decision, and I believe that you're right in that the Skins would likely have to let Blache go for free if the Bills wanted him as DC. I'd be happy with this move. I could see Williams talking Blache out of coming to Buffalo though. I am sure Gregg has no love for Ralph, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Skins go to the 2007 Superbowl, have Gibbs retire and hand over the reins to Williams, allowing Blache to get a Superbowl ring and move into the real DC spot in '07.

580047[/snapback]

Very true, excellent points.

there are a half dozen new coaches in the league who have not been HC's.

that means some guys,.....like Sherman, Martz, Tice (not that i want Tice or Martz) but these guys will not be HC's this year.

it will come down to if they want to sit out a year....get some rest, collect the jack and wait for someone to be fired next year.

i would be THRILLED to have Sherman as an OC, but I can't see Ralphie boy forking out the money for that.

i would be THRILLED to have Sherman as an OC, but I can't see Ralphie boy forking out the money for that.

580124[/snapback]

It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with Sherman not taking a job under the guy he was passed over for. It's called professional pride.

580124[/snapback]

That was my point when I wrote in another thread that Dan Snyder is a great owner. Snyder willingly shells out the dough needed to get the best available coaches. Ralph Wilson said he is willing to spend whatever it takes as well, but it is apparent that he won't. We, as fans, suffer for it.

It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with Sherman not taking a job under the guy he was passed over for.  It's called professional pride.

580148[/snapback]

That is a very valid point. But money can talk louder than one'$ ego.