Bears fan gives Jauron anectdote...

SDS

Linky

"He’s like a Texas Hold’em player who won’t bet big until he’s sure he has the best hand. The problem is, by that point, most of the players have left the pot, and your chance to score big winnings has gone out the window. Oh, sure, you’ll still win a little bit, but not nearly as much as if you’d decided up front that you were going to be aggressive. And it’s why he never was, and never will be, a big winner as a coach. "

Linky

"He’s like a Texas Hold’em player who won’t bet big until he’s sure he has the best hand.  The problem is, by that point, most of the players have left the pot, and your chance to score big winnings has gone out the window.  Oh, sure, you’ll still win a little bit, but not nearly as much as if you’d decided up front that you were going to be aggressive.  And it’s why he never was, and never will be, a big winner as a coach.  "

578978[/snapback]

Sounds like BlueDemonExpress knows next to nothing about playing Texas Hold'em.

Wow.  That is probably the worst anectdote ever.

So he wasnt very aggressive in Chicago.  Maybe this will be on of the things he has learned.

578993[/snapback]

errrr... he described a recent GB/Det game and it reminded him of his bad sideline decisions in Chicago. Did you really miss that?

What I don't understand about this antecdote is why Jauron is being criticized for his RB being pushed out of bounds. Right off the bat Blue Demon Express (not to be confused with Grantland Rice, everybody) takes Jauron to task for calling a running play that had a chance to end up out of bounds.

Umm...Okay?? Did DJ really send the play into the huddle as "Pinner runs straight for the sideline"?

There's an appropriate cliche for all of this:

Be careful what you wish for...

Hey, it applies to me. I was pissed at the failure of our coaches to turn this talented roster into a contending team. I felt bitter by Donahoe's failure to build us a respectable offensive line. But if I could undo both firings? Hell, I would. I think we'd have a better chance to win in Mularkey's 3rd season that we will in Jauron's first.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THE PLAYERS WILL BE MOTIVATED FOR THIS GUY?

I knew one thing: Marv coming back to Buffalo would be a mistake, and it would be widely perceived as such by football men across the league. We love him, but this was a mistake.

You probably won't believe me, and I don't care if you do or not, but Marv Levy called me tonight before halftime of the Seattle/Panthers game. That's right. I had left a message and he called me back. It's actually the 2nd time I've spoken to him since he arrived in Buffalo. He also talked to my friend Rick in New Mexico. Rick expressed disappointment in the decision, and Marv said that nothing has been announced yet and everyone has an opinion, etc.

So tonight he returned my call. My wife was closer to the phone so he asked for Rick. He had already talked to Rick, but he asked for Rick. I said, No, I'm Brandon. You spoke to my friend Rick an hour ago. "Okay, well Brandon, you wouldn't believe how many opinions I've heard. I appreciate hearing from the fans and..." And I interrupted. "Thanks for calling me back, Marv. Please tell me that at least Jim Bates is in this mix." "Well, ...pause... we...I... my staff here will be announcing all of that very soon."

And honestly guys...it was not a very focused conversation. I gleaned nothing from it, other than the fact that Marv has some time on his hands the day before a major press conference, and Jauron is our next coach and I suspect he knows there's going to be some dark clouds rolling in over this decision.

I'll always respect Marv. But guys, the Bills aren't going to be contenders until Ralph is..."out of the game", so to speak. Bringing in Marv was the classic comfort decision of an addled old man.

Holmgren said something important tonight. He thanked his owner for having patience and allowing him to stick to the plan. YOU CAN'T KEEP STARTING OVER IN THIS GAME! It's just too hard to get a team to peak.

One good thing I can say is that next season I'll be able to watch Bills games emotionally detached, for the first time in my fandom.

There's an appropriate cliche for all of this:

Be careful what you wish for...

Hey, it applies to me. I was pissed at the failure of our coaches to turn this talented roster into a contending team. I felt bitter by Donahoe's failure to build us a respectable offensive line. But if I could undo both firings? Hell, I would. I think we'd have a better chance to win in Mularkey's 3rd season that we will in Jauron's first.

DO YOU REALLY THINK THE PLAYERS WILL BE MOTIVATED FOR THIS GUY?

I knew one thing: Marv coming back to Buffalo would be a mistake, and it would be widely perceived as such by football men across the league. We love him, but this was a mistake.

You probably won't believe me, and I don't care if you do or not, but Marv Levy called me tonight before halftime of the Seattle/Panthers game. That's right. I had left a message and he called me back. It's actually the 2nd time I've spoken to him since he arrived in Buffalo. He also talked to my friend Rick in New Mexico. Rick expressed disappointment in the decision, and Marv said that nothing has been announced yet and everyone has an opinion, etc.

So tonight he returned my call. My wife was closer to the phone so he asked for Rick. He had already talked to Rick, but he asked for Rick. I said, No, I'm Brandon. You spoke to my friend Rick an hour ago. "Okay, well Brandon, you wouldn't believe how many opinions I've heard. I appreciate hearing from the fans and..." And I interrupted. "Thanks for calling me back, Marv. Please tell me that at least Jim Bates is in this mix." "Well, ...pause... we...I... my staff here will be announcing all of that very soon."

And honestly guys...it was not a very focused conversation. I gleaned nothing from it, other than the fact that Marv has some time on his hands the day before a major press conference, and Jauron is our next coach and I suspect he knows there's going to be some dark clouds rolling in over this decision.

I'll always respect Marv. But guys, the Bills aren't going to be contenders until Ralph is..."out of the game", so to speak. Bringing in Marv was the classic comfort decision of an addled old man.

Holmgren said something important tonight. He thanked his owner for having patience and allowing him to stick to the plan. YOU CAN'T KEEP STARTING OVER IN THIS GAME! It's just too hard to get a team to peak.

One good thing I can say is that next season I'll be able to watch Bills games  emotionally detached, for the first time in my fandom.

579017[/snapback]

How I repeat how did you get Marv's number? Kind of cool though.

How I repeat how did you get Marv's number?  Kind of cool though.

579028[/snapback]

When you call any company, you get the front desk. Off hours, you get a message service. dial by name. Leave a message. It's that simple.

errrr... he described a recent GB/Det game and it reminded him of his bad sideline decisions in Chicago.  Did you really miss that?

578997[/snapback]

Nope, didn't miss it. I just think this article is ignorant.

I will preface by saying that this was not Jaurons team. He was thrown into a bad sitation, and anyone that bases any part of his career from this past season in Detroit is completely overlooking the facts.

Now, on to the idiot writer...

3-16-GB 31: (1:59) B. Favre right end to GB 38 for 7 yards.

Analysis: Okay, the game is tied at 13, and the Lions have stopped the Packers.  They're punting.  Are the Lions going to take a shot at winning the game, or are they just going to run the clock out and try for overtime?  Seems to me that given the circumstances, I would take a shot for overtime.  You’re on the road and the 13-3 lead you had in the first half is gone.  Samkon Gado is gashing your run defense, and you don’t have an answer on offense.  The longer this game goes, the greater advantage to Green Bay, in my opinion.

Okay, remembering the fact that this is 20/20 hindsight, he says Jauron should go for it. (even though he actually says he would go for overtime! Am I reading that wrong?)

4-9-GB 38: (1:13) B. Sander punts 36 yards to DET 26.  R. McQuarters to DET 30 for 4 yards.  Penalty on DET-S. McHugh, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at DET 30

Analysis: Forty-six seconds ticked off the clock, so the strategy appears to be to run out the clock.  I don’t agree with it, but at least there’s a discernible strategy.  I also don’t think R. W. McQuarters is a very good defensive back, but he’s a dangerous punt returner.  Yet he never gets the chance here because one of his guys threw a block in the back.  Not good discipline.

I don't like this because I don't know how many T.O. they had. But: Why does he ASSUME the strategy is to run the clock out?? In that situation there is a choice to take a TO, or save them for later and use them during your drive.

Also, Jauron is NOT on the field. Players screw up. YOu can't blame the coach because one of his players commited a penalty at a really bad time.

1-10-DET 20: (1:02) A. Pinner pushed out of bounds at DET 24 for 4 yards.

Analysis: If you’re trying to run out the clock and play for overtime, why are you calling running plays that have a chance to get knocked out of bounds?

Again, he doesn't know what the strategy was. Jauron still has his timeouts and tried a Run torward the sideline that could have gone long or run out to stop the clock. Good call.

2-6-DET 24: (:56) A. Pinner right guard to DET 31 for 7 yards.

Analysis: Detroit picks up a first down.  So now you’ve atoned for your mistake in going out of bounds on the previous running play.  You can run the clock out and play for overtime.  But wait…Detroit calls time out?!  Getting a first down is now making Jauron think, “Hmm, maybe we can get into field goal range after all.”  It’s this type of thinking that drove Bears’ fans nuts.  Dick, you already laid out your strategy by letting 46 seconds tick off the clock before Green Bay punted to you, and now you’re changing your mind mid-stream?  You're at the 31.  It's going to take a few plays to get into field goal range.

STill making the same stupid assumption. Ran up the middle, got a first down, and used the timeout he saved earlier to stop the clock. Good call.

1-10-DET 31:  (:45) J. Garcia pass incomplete to S. Vines.

Analysis: So now you’ve switched over to actually trying to win the game in regulation.  You’re in no-man’s land right now.  You don’t exactly have the Colts’ offense, and you’re asking them to move about 40-45 yards in :45 seconds.  Not impossible, but again, why didn’t you just decide to do this in the first place?  Then you’d have 1:30 on the clock, not :45.

Again, he's basing his whole argument on an assumption. After two runs and a first down, what else would you do but try to pick up some needed yards with a pass???

2-10-DET 31: (:40) J. Garcia pass incomplete to R. Williams

Analysis: Now that’s two straight incompletions, and you’re facing 3rd and 10.  Now you’re REALLY in no-man’s land.  Can you get a first down, or are you going to flop back to running out the clock?

Again...not a bad call here.

3-10-DET 31: (:37) S. Bryson right tackle pushed out of bounds at DET 37 for 6 yards.

Analysis: Pushed out of bounds without getting the first down?!  Now you have to give the ball back to Green Bay with about :30 on the clock. 

Two incomplete passes, so Jauron hopes that a run can get them a first. (again, I don't have stats for the game, so I don't know the whole story here.) I'm sure the play call wasn't designed as a "get 6 yards and run out of bounds" play. But the sideline run was part of that play...and rightfully so.

So to summarize Detroit’s strategy: they were playing for overtime.  Then they got enough yards in their minds to start playing for the win in regulation.  Then they had a couple of incompletions and decided most of the way through to go back to playing for overtime.  Then they couldn’t run out the clock, so they had to give the ball back to Green Bay.  This happened all in the span of 25 game seconds, mind you. 

And in summary, this guy is an idiot.

EDIT: Found some info:

In this game Detroit had 129 rushing yards compared to the 13/24 with 112 passing. It included a 40 and a 14 yard run. This would back up the decision to try and run during that last drive. Though that is obviously debatable, as most play calling is. I would also like to add that I"m sure the OC, who Jauron did not choose, was probably calling the plays.

They had 2 TO at that point. So either call could have been used.

Also, despite the fact that they tried to get into field goal range to win the game (negating this guys assurtion that Jauron isn't aggresive) it STILL went to overtime. So they lost nothing. Well, except the game.

Hey, it applies to me. I was pissed at the failure of our coaches to turn this talented roster into a contending team. I felt bitter by Donahoe\'s failure to build us a respectable offensive line. But if I could undo both firings? Hell, I would. I think we\'d have a better chance to win in Mularkey\'s 3rd season that we will in Jauron\'s first.

579017[/snapback]

I agree with the basis of your point, but not in this case. I thought Wade should have been given more time (though at the time I was HOT about the comments he made about not making the playoffs during that prime time Jets game)

I also think GW was fired too early.

But Murlarky was the worst coach HC I have witnessed in a LONG time. He was absolutely clueless on game day. In this case, they NEEDED to start over.

Now, your opinion on Marv is another story. TD was given his time, and the team is still in shambles. As a GM, there should have been more steps forward. I\'m not saying he is the cause of all the problems, but he certainly didn\'t earn any more time.

I don\'t know what my opinion of Marv is. I think he has a good football mind, and a chance at success. He could also crash and burn. I just have to hope for option 1.