$8.8M to Franchise Clemens?

joesz

i think it will be a much different story when he is playing for a defensive coach who is not lining him up 10 yards off the line on every play

586848[/snapback]

Didn't he play for same coach previous year when he was considered a star? Or did the DB coach brought in from Patriots teach him that?

Didn't he play for same coach previous year when he was considered a star? Or did the DB coach brought in from Patriots teach him that?

586850[/snapback]

it's been a recurring theme throughout gray's tenure. goodbye and good luc jerry....i won't miss your smoke and mirrors phony-ass "#2 defenses" one bit.

gotta pay nate, especially at that price. I do not wanna go back to the days when teams threw deep on chris watson every play. And hit 80% of them. The CB tandem might be the biggest strength on the team...without that, what is our strength (assuming we don't know how TKO comes back)? Moorman/Lindell -- deadly combo?

Why tag him?  Just sign him.  He lost millions in value last year by playing CB like Chris Watson, Punt Catcher.

Sign him to a 4 year 17 million or something like that. 

Or, threaten to franchise him and work out a trade, like they did with Peerless.  They can probably wrangle a 2nd for him.  Or a 3rd, if the trading partner has videos of last season.  Or a 7th if they have the Miami game.

586553[/snapback]

He is a pro bowl alternate. Whether he got there by "name" or not, his stock wasn't hurt THAT much.

Right as per usual Lori!  Letting Clements go even at 8 million is pure idiocy IMO.  Top flight CBs are harder to replace then QBs.  CB is the hardest position to field IMO.  Having a CB with the abilty to go one on one with every WR in the league and still play the run make a defense and pass rush that much stronger!

586365[/snapback]

That'd make sense if Nate was a top flight corner. He's not. He's good, but not that good.

Franchise him and try and get him cheap next year, if that.

I don't see nate being worth even 5 mil per. He really showed his deficiencies this year and it is a contract year for him. He's good but I don't think he's "top tier"...

Does he still have that lame ass "Playmaker" liscence plate?  :angry:

587852[/snapback]

Nate is still a top corner.

He has one bad year, and you throw him under the bus?

What about the 4 other good years he provided to us? Does that mean nothing now?

You have to at least look into locking him up.

That'd make sense if Nate was a top flight corner. He's not. He's good, but not that good.

Franchise him and try and get him cheap next year, if that.

587888[/snapback]

This is the perfect opportunity if the tag is at 5M or so.

We have to act now.

What if we tag him this year, we pay him the 5M, and the tag goes up to 8.8M again next year?

Then we're in a lose-lose situation.

Either lock him up, or trade him.

Nate is still a top corner.

He has one bad year, and you throw him under the bus?

What about the 4 other good years he provided to us? Does that mean nothing now?

You have to at least look into locking him up.

588037[/snapback]

He didn't have one BAD year, he had a HORRENDOUS season. I'd wager to say he wasn't even the best CB on the roster this year.

And I'd argue that he's never been a top corner, not at least since Winfield left.

I liken him to Madison or Surtain....together they were dynamite. Separated, they're not all that.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that if you're strong in the defensive front 7, it doesn't really matter who you play at corner. See Schittsburgh.