rams hire linehan

JAMIEBUF12

Cam Cameron from SD was the other candidate for the Rams. Cameron and Bates are very close friends. This may mean Bates' fate rests with Sherman. It would be great to get a two for one deal with an experienced coach and a highly respected DC. Bates also knows this division very well...another plus.

Cam Cameron from SD was the other candidate for the Rams.  Cameron and Bates are very close friends.  This may mean Bates' fate rests with Sherman.  It would be great to get a two for one deal with an experienced coach and a highly respected DC.  Bates also knows this division very well...another plus.

573490[/snapback]

yes i didnt want sherman at all...but after hearing on here last night all the posters saying how good bates is i have a change of heart and wouldnt mind having sherman here.....i also look at it another way............with sherman having gm exp,he could get booted upstairs if levy retires or mike does a good job.and say in 3-4 yrs bates can be the head coach.almost makes too much sense lol

If Bates is going to the Rams could this mean Sherman as Bills HC, and Jauron as DC? I wouldn't rule it out.  I'd be totally happy with that even though I want nothing to do with Jauron as the HC.

573510[/snapback]

If the Bills hire Sherman--I think Bates, Jauron or Haslett would all be DC candidates....personal preference is Bates just because of the recent time in Miami...

it has been stated by several sources that Bates would come with Sherman. Just a question to throw out there-

what makes Bates so special? I not being sacastic either just wondering what has he done?

573583[/snapback]

bates is only special when you have master in front of it!!

it has been stated by several sources that Bates would come with Sherman. Just a question to throw out there-

what makes Bates so special? I not being sacastic either just wondering what has he done?

573583[/snapback]

Bates is a former dolphins dc from 2000-2004. He was their interim head coach at the end of the 2004 season and went 3-4, in their final 7 games. The dolphins players spoke highly of him and even lobied to have him be their hc.

As defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins the past five seasons (2000-04), Bates' units ranked fifth in the NFL. Only the Buccaneers (281.4 yards/game), Steelers (282.5), Ravens (286.4) and Bills (293.1) played better defensively than Miami (294.8) through the course of those five campaigns. His defense ranked in the top 10 after each season, including 2004, when it ranked eighth despite losing four starters to injured reserve; the team ranked sixth in 2000, fifth in 2001, third in 2002 and 10th in 2003. Against the pass, the Dolphins entered the final week of the '04 season leading the league, but wound up second (162.0 yards/game). Miami's passing defense did pace the NFL in 2001, and ranked fifth in 2000, eighth in 2002 and 19th in 2003. Against the run, his squad did not allow a 100-yard rusher over a 20-game stretch that included the last four games of 2002 and the entire '03 campaign.

Prior to his time in Miami, Bates served as the Dallas Cowboys' linebackers coach (1996-97) and assistant head coach/defensive line (1998-99). His first foray into the NFL was on Bill Belichick's staff as linebackers coach of the Cleveland Browns (1991). After coaching the Browns' defensive ends for two seasons (1992-93), he served one year as Atlanta's defensive coordinator (1994), before returning to Cleveland as secondary coach (1995).

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/bates_jim/

yes i didnt want sherman at all...but after hearing on here last night all the posters saying how good bates is  i have a change of heart and wouldnt mind having sherman here.....i also look at it another way............with sherman having gm exp,he could get booted upstairs if levy retires or mike does a good job.and say in 3-4 yrs bates can be the head coach.almost makes too much sense lol

573502[/snapback]

I would not be surprised if the chance to succeed Levy as a GM is a selling point for Sherman. Plus Buffalo isn't much different than Green Bay in many ways (weather, people, lifestyles, etc...may even be a little better.)

PTR

573583[/snapback]

He coached with Sherman.. give him a contract...!!

I guess I really want Sherman as HC