This is my problem with Ole' Whitey

LabattBlue

You could have cut DB loose with no cap hit, but instead you re-signed him to a 3 year contract, which indicates that you still believed in him. OK...fine if that is your decision. But, why then instead of beefing up the OL via the draft and F/A(in an effort to help DB succeed), did you draft a WR at 13 and then trade up to draft ANOTHER QB?? You now had no 2nd round pick to use on the OL and proceeded to use your 3rd and 4th round picks on a DT and TE respectively.

I would have cut DB loose, but WHY did you commit to him and then turn around and conduct your draft and F/A signings in this manner? It doesn't make any sense?? Build your offense around the QB you commit to, which in this case means upgrade your OL. Instead you relied on Pucillo's GREAT off-season workouts as the answer to the OL problems.

So tell me where I am wrong.

You could have cut DB loose with no cap hit, but instead you re-signed him to a 3 year contract, which indicates that you still believed in him.  OK...fine if that is your decision.  But, why then instead of beefing up the OL via the draft and F/A(in an effort to help DB succeed), did you draft a WR at 13 and then trade up to draft ANOTHER QB?? You now had no 2nd round pick to use on the OL and proceeded to use your 3rd and 4th round picks on a DT and TE respectively.

I would have cut DB loose, but WHY did you commit to him and then turn around and conduct your draft and F/A signings in this manner?  It doesn't make any sense??  Build your offense around the QB you commit to, which in this case means upgrade your OL.  Instead you relied on Pucillo's GREAT off-season workouts as the answer to the OL problems.

41236[/snapback]

I figured it was because Drew's success seemed to be affected to a large degree by the departure of Peerless Price. Evans was drafted to fill this role and open up the offense again. I know what you are saying about the Oline, but I think a lot of that was McNally going around telling everyone who would listen how excited he was to work will all this "talent" on our line, and how he felt once they had good coaching and proper technique they would be fine.

This is a great question that I'd love the local media to ask Donahoe. Not sure how he'd answer it but I bet it would be filled with excuses and rationalizations.

You could have cut DB loose with no cap hit, but instead you re-signed him to a 3 year contract, which indicates that you still believed in him.  OK...fine if that is your decision.  But, why then instead of beefing up the OL via the draft and F/A(in an effort to help DB succeed), did you draft a WR at 13 and then trade up to draft ANOTHER QB?? You now had no 2nd round pick to use on the OL and proceeded to use your 3rd and 4th round picks on a DT and TE respectively.

I would have cut DB loose, but WHY did you commit to him and then turn around and conduct your draft and F/A signings in this manner?  It doesn't make any sense??  Build your offense around the QB you commit to, which in this case means upgrade your OL.  Instead you relied on Pucillo's GREAT off-season workouts as the answer to the OL problems.

41236[/snapback]

that's easy.

Gilbride is the fall guy for all that went wrong last year.

41236[/snapback]

I am beginning to think the GM game has passed TD bye. It happened

down in San Diego with the Chargers when Bobby Beathard ??? started

making odd draft day moves and reaching for players.

We all know how that turned out. Chargers have STILL not recovered.

Labatt: How dare you question Teflon Tom? According to more than one source at ESPN, Teflon Tom is the supreme purveyor of football talent. Teflon Tom once coached a high school team and then stocked the Steelers so well they went to a SB once in the 90's, despite having Cowher as a coach. His acquistion of Bledsoe was pure genious... he really stuck it to Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick.

Labatt:  How dare you question Teflon Tom?  According to more than one source at ESPN, Teflon Tom is the supreme purveyor of football talent.  Teflon Tom once coached a high school team and then stocked the Steelers so well they went to a SB once in the 90's, despite having Cowher as a coach.  His acquistion of Bledsoe was pure genious... he really stuck it to Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick.

41574[/snapback]

Actually I was hoping that someone(anyone) would come out and defend TD on this one. I just feel it was a huge mistake on his part. The game of football is won and lost in the trenches and he didn't do enough to make sure DB could be successful.

The assumption that this team would have been immediately improved drafting an OL is wrong. The draft is a dice game that more often than not comes up snake eyes or craps.

Teams RARELY upgrade a line through the draft immediately. It is a 2-4 year process. In fact, both of the teams in last years' Super Bowl rely on FA OL rather than their own draft choices. 4/5 of the Panthers OL was signed as FA.

The assumption that this team would have been immediately improved drafting an OL is wrong.  The draft is a dice game that more often than not comes up snake eyes or craps. 

Teams RARELY upgrade a line through the draft immediately. It is a 2-4 year process. In fact, both of the teams in last years' Super Bowl rely on FA OL rather than their own draft choices. 4/5 of the Panthers OL was signed as FA.

41609[/snapback]

I said draft or F/A. TD could have improved the line either way. He chose neither except for CV being signed as a RB replacement.