Don't we have to interview a minority candidate?

I believe that they did not interview Gray, which would have been an easy check in the box. That, to me, means Gray is a certain goner. The Bills are probably just keeping from announcing it so as to help Gray and themselves. If he is hired by another team, the other team will have to either make Gray a head coach, a assistant head coach, or give the Bills some type of compensation.

Sherman IS Irish !  What more do they want ?

570614[/snapback]

:D But seriously, if they need to hire someone, and fast, to look at talent for the Senior Bowl and hire assistants before they dry up, then time is running out and they don't even have a lot of time to schedule a "courtesy interview" with a minority candidate, as awful and patronizing and antithetical to the minority hiring process as it sounds. The last thing this team needs is to be perceived as racially unfriendly and get fined by the league.

Ralph Wilson is just crazy enough to bypass that rule just to thumb his nose at Tags....and let the chips fall where they may.

570632[/snapback]

That's unfortunate. And not because I believe there's a current minority candidate that is better, but because of the perception it will generate. This team already looks bad enough to a lot of the NFL.

That's unfortunate.  And not because I believe there's a current minority candidate that is better, but because of the perception it will generate.  This team already looks bad enough to a lot of the NFL.

570637[/snapback]

The chances of Ralph shelling out a few hundred thousand dollars over something like this are less than nil. I wouldn't worry yourself on this issue. We got plenty of others that are worthy.

We've been through this before.  Remember the discussions about the "token" candidates Marv. Lewis and Lovie Smith?  Wish we had been a little more serious about interviewing minority candidates.

570642[/snapback]

Agreed.

Of course, perhaps senility is creeping into the front office and the "brain trust" doesn't even know (or remember) this rule exists...

Agreed.

Of course, perhaps senility is creeping into the front office and the "brain trust" doesn't even know (or remember) this rule exists...

570644[/snapback]

These kinds of comments are getting ridiculous. :D

That's unfortunate.  And not because I believe there's a current minority candidate that is better, but because of the perception it will generate.  This team already looks bad enough to a lot of the NFL.

570637[/snapback]

Marv interviewed himself who is a qualified elderly candidate :D

Too bad the team isn't in California, where white Americans ARE the minority. Seriously. Just hook up with one whitey and you've got your quota covered.

570706[/snapback]

Don't feel bad, the other day I drove into Dade county and I had to produce a passport.

Too bad the team isn't in California, where white Americans ARE the minority. Seriously. Just hook up with one whitey and you've got your quota covered.

570706[/snapback]

While some folks are so focused on mere numbers they would even by a stupid quota system that allowed folks to hire unqualified folks to meet an arbitrary number, the minority interview scheme is actually to remedey the history racial discrimination in the NFL.

Qualified Americans were not given a chance to do a good job merely because they were of African-American heritage.

Good ol boys like Rich Kotite got a couple of shots at being an HC even though he was not qualified to be successful.

Merely geeting a California "whitey" does not address the past un-American (at least our ideals) activities of the NFL. Neither would any quota system. The current interview system does seem to coincide with an uptick (still not matching the pool of potentially qualified applicants which would be strongly influenced by the majority of players being A-A) in diversity of the HCs.

Even better, this uptick has coincided with the hiring of a number of A-A HC's like Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, the re-hiring of Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards who teams have made the playoffs and proven capable of winning in the NFL.