Dear TBD

Chilly

Health issues, stress levels will be pushed to the extreme. I just can't see an 80 year old retired coach who has NEVER handled the front office job doing whats best for our Buffalo Bills. I would have made a different choice if I was the owner. I don't think Ralph knew what to do in this situation and called on Marv.

We are the laughing stock of the league. I heard ESPN radio today making jokes about our team.

"Grumpy Old Bills"

ESPN said that will be our slogan for the 2006 season.

He's 80 dude, health issues are high. Can Marv put in the hours of being a GM in the NFL?

Health issues, stress levels will be pushed to the extreme. I just can't see an 80 year old retired coach who has NEVER handled the front office job doing whats best for our Buffalo Bills. I would have made a different choice if I was the owner. I don't think Ralph knew what to do in this situation and called on Marv.

We are the laughing stock of the league. I heard ESPN radio today making jokes about our team.

"Grumpy Old Bills"

He's 80 dude, health issues are high. Can Marv put in the hours of being a GM in the NFL?

569082[/snapback]

He is 80, but he doesnt look much older than 65-70 and he sounds great too. Bill Polian said he would do fine and I like what Bill Polian has done with his team.

"Grumpy Old Bills"

569082[/snapback]

Ever hear of Tom Modrak?

I have noticed a negative perception toward the elderly that is an underlying factor in the debates about Marv's capability for this job. To me it indicates a deeper problem. I see a societal shift away from revering the elderly and honoring the wisdom that their years have brought them, to making automatic assumptions that elderly people must be, frail, feeble, senile persons incapable of accepting any challenges. Many have argued that due to his age Marv could drop dead at any moment. That is due more to his humanity than his age. Two words...Reggie Lewis. I had a cousin that dropped dead at 15 from the same heart condition that Reggie had, while my wife's grandfather at the ripe old age of 91 still drives his own car, mows his own lawn, and builds houses with Habitat for Humanity. It is true that Marv has never been a GM, and that may prove to be a problem, but I don't know of anyone who was born a pro football GM. Marv has spent the bulk of his life living eating and breathing football, and is an excellent motivator. Take the age argument out of the equation, and I see very little reason to believe that he cannot be succesful.

You probably feel Marv could coach again at 80 also.  :w00t:

569381[/snapback]

And therein lies the problem, imo. If Marv was brought in to keep RW up to date, etc. and offer the team some wisdom, then so be it. Now, he has the job for a week or so and he wants to coach. :angry:

I happen to have a ton of respect for the elderly. We need the wisdom and experience that they offer. That said, being an NFL Coach is a hard thing to do for young men. Parcells, Ditka, Reeves and others have suffered heart ailments, no? Shula was a great coach. Should he too come back to the sidelines?

Levy seems like a really great guy, but this situation is just a little too weird. :angry: