My offseason plan

The Jokeman

Most everyone has an offseason plan in mind, so I thought I'd toss mine in. Yet because it's fairly long I'm doing it in several posts in one thread in hopes to make it easy to read. I'm going to start with our free agents then move onto guys would let go and then guys I'd target in free agency and in the draft and end up with an overall depth chart. Feel free to post your thoughts either individually or on the whole.

Bills UFAs:

Josh Stamer LB RFA: Won't be expensive to keep, so would as solid speacial team performer.

Justin Bannan DT UFA At best a wave DT, easily replace able and would let go.

Kevin Thomas CB UFA Hurt all year, would let go as feel King/Greer are serviceable nickel/dime CBs.

Mario Haggan LB RFA Won't be expensive to keep, so would as solid speacial team performer.

Mike Schneck LS UFA Moorman and Lindell have improved since his arrival, definately need to re-sign.

Nate Clements CB UFA Franchise and re-sign for at least 1 season, hopefully more.

Ron Edwards DT UFA As long as he doesnt' demand a high salary feel is a solid 3rd DT. In the end think it time for him to go.

Ryan Denney DE UFA Important backup and special teams player, definately would re-sign.

Josh Reed WR UFA Hate to see him go but feel have to as can't keep everyone.

Shane Matthews QB UFA If can re-sign at the vet minimum am all for him as the 3rd string QB but feel will retire.

Trey Teague C UFA I don't think he's as bad as some on the board make him out to be but there was a reason we drafted Duke Preston last year and that was to replace Teague in 2006.

Time to part ways with:

OT Mike Williams: Similar to Teague but is making far too much money and think Jason Peters has shown to be a solid replacement but if he was willing to renogiate his contact could see him kept as our running game did take a step back when MW found the sidelines.

WR Eric Moulds: I can't see him renogiating his contract again and wanting to stick around especially since JP Losman should be be our starting QB next season.

FS Troy Vincent: I'd be willing to give Rashad Baker a chance to start in 2006 and get a little more cap room.

LG Bennie Anderson: A solid backup but with Justin Geisinger making less best to free up as much cap room as can.

LB Jeff Posey: I like him but think Spikes will return and replace him on the Strong side with Crowell taking over the Weak side.

Targeted FAs:

RYan Picket DT Rams: Best DT on the free agent landscape in terms of short/long term goals. My #1 priority in free agency.

David Givens WR Patriots: If Moulds let go think has the size and ability to be a 1A compliment WR to Lee Evans.

Antonio Bryant WR Browns: If can't get givens go with the next guy on my list.

Melvin Fowler: C Vikings: He hasn't lived up to draft billing but insurance incase Preston faulters.

Ephraim Salaam OT Jaguars: Think he could serve as a Marcus Price type, ie a vet swing OT and key back up.

Kenny Watson: RB Bengals. I wanted him in free agency last year but didn't know he was an RFA, this year he's an UFA so now

we should grab him. Has good size and receiving ability and a far better backup than Shaud WIlliams.

John Howell: FS Seahawks. With Vincent gone need someone to backup Baker, prefer a veteran and Howell fits the Bill.

Move on over:

LT Mike Gandy to LG: I'm not displeased with his play at LT but he's at best a short term answer to something that needs a long term

solution.

Onto the Draft:

Round 1: I've been saying it for awhile and maintain we take the best lineman on the board with our pick. I feel it's going to be Left OT

Eric Winston from the U.

Round 2: I elected to keep Sam Adams but don't expect him back in 2007 so get his replacement here. I'd love to land DT Gabe Watson.

Round 3a: If Nate re-signs for 1 year then go with CB Will Blackmon or CB Anwar Phillips. If Nate re-signed long term then SS Greg Blue

to replace Lawyer Milloy in 2007.

Round 3b: DonTrell Moore RB New Mexico: If can't get Kenny Watson go with a guy that could serve as a 3rd down/change of pace back for Willis.

Round 4: Matt Lentz OG Michigan: Never hurts to add more O-lineman. Especially with questionable depth at G.

Round 5: Erik Meyer QB Eastern Washington: Not an immediate threat to replace JP but at the same time gives us another young QB to develop incase JP fails.

Round 6: Victor Adeyanju DE Indiana: It's time to develop someone behind Aaron Schobel.

Round 7: Robert Johnson WR Texas Tech: A WR with size to push Sam Aiken at the 4th WR spot or to serve on special teams.

2006 Depth Chart:

CAPS signifies a new player on the roster either through free agency or the draft.

QBs: Losman, Holcomb, MEYER

RBs: McGahee, MOORE, Gates

WRs: Evans, GIVENS, Parrish, Aiken

FB: Shelton

OTs: WINSTON, Peters, SALAAM

OGs: Gandy, Villarial, Geisinger, LENTZ

C: Preston, FOWLER

DEs: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, ADEYANJU

DTs: Adams, PICKETT, WATSON, Anderson

LBs: Spikes (SLB), Fletcher, Crowell, Haggan, Stamer

CBs: Clements, McGee, BLACKMON, King

Ss: Milloy, Baker, Wire, Leonard, HOWELL