For all this trashing Haslett and others

Like A Mofo

Wait what is his name...

Oh wait...

Didnt win that many games....was not liked by his teammates....

Did not deal with the media well...

Oh yeah thats right...

Bill Belichick

Isn't he a "God" now? Cannot do NO wrong??

Excerpts:

Matter of fact, Belichick was a pariah by the end of his third season on the job in Cleveland. He improved the team, from 6-10 in his first season to 11-5 and a playoff berth in his fourth; yet his popularity proved to be the inverse of the team's on-the-field fortunes. He went from being generally liked in his first year to openly disliked in his second, and outright hated in his third, even though the Browns maintained some semblance of on-the-field progress over that period. When a playoff run in 1994 failed to win over the fans- people used to root for the Browns to lose so Belichick would get fired, even in '94- it was obvious that only a Super Bowl championship or the re-signing of Bernie Kosar could save him around here. Neither happened. Soon after the old Browns relocated to Baltimore, Belichick was fired, albeit too late for his many Cleveland detractors to get any enjoyment out of it.

Link:

Browns

Here is the point:

Haslett worked for an organization that has a LONG LONG history of ineptitude...heck, he even won the Saints there ONLY playoff game....remember on another sport (I know its hard to compare but Ill throw this out there) when Joe Torre was such a "bum"....what about now?

Point is: Maybe Haslett or another coach who didnt do well somewhere else can flourish in Buffalo IF given the correct tools to WIN in the NFL....

Give the new future HC a chance, no matter who it is!

great post.....I for one support him...who cares if he took steroids...he has NFL experience and I for one would love for us to have him.....every god damn candidate has something against him on this board....there is no perfect candidate and as long as Haslett keeps April and assembles a decent staff, I say "Do it, Do it, Do it"....the quicker the better in my opinion!

If Haslett is the choice, jsut make sure to get a solid OC and DC....but more then anything, UPGRADE the OL and DL, and build this team around the running attack and the defense, not smallish WR's who will struggle in bad weather games!

566335[/snapback]

I dont think the OL's and the DL's will be a question with Haslett here.

How about this. Some 1st and 2nd round picks under Haslett. Over six years in New orleans they have drafted these guys in either the 1st or 2nd round.

DE Darren Howard

DE Charles Grant

C LeCharles Bentley

DT Johnathan Sullivan

T Jon Stinchcomb

DE Will Smith

T Jammal Brown

He also went after and signed big name OT Wayne Gandy from the Steelers.

i for one would like to see mike sherman but if haslett becomes coach i am more than willing to give him a chance, i distinctly remember belichick being despised in cleveland.

i want someone who has been a head coach in the nfl. we have enough talent at the skilled positions (especially if you don't count either safety position). we need lineman on both sides of the ball and a head coach. period.

hook em horns and go bills

Wait what is his name...

Oh wait...

Oh yeah thats right...

Bill Belichick

566322[/snapback]

You're a solid poster but c'mon dude -

You're not the first one to point this out. Really, you're not. For every Belichick there are dozens of washouts who flamed out in their 2nd job as well as their first.

I mean - lets draft a backup QB from Michigan in the 6th round and just assume he becomes a Hall of Famer while we're at it.

Wait what is his name...

Oh wait...

Oh yeah thats right...

Bill Belichick

Isn't he a "God" now?  Cannot do NO wrong??

Excerpts:

Matter of fact, Belichick was a pariah by the end of his third season on the job in Cleveland. He improved the team, from 6-10 in his first season to 11-5 and a playoff berth in his fourth; yet his popularity proved to be the inverse of the team's on-the-field fortunes. He went from being generally liked in his first year to openly disliked in his second, and outright hated in his third, even though the Browns maintained some semblance of on-the-field progress over that period. When a playoff run in 1994 failed to win over the fans- people used to root for the Browns to lose so Belichick would get fired, even in '94- it was obvious that only a Super Bowl championship or the re-signing of Bernie Kosar could save him around here. Neither happened. Soon after the old Browns relocated to Baltimore, Belichick was fired, albeit too late for his many Cleveland detractors to get any enjoyment out of it.

Link:

Browns

Here is the point:

Haslett worked for an organization that has a LONG LONG history of ineptitude...heck, he even won the Saints there ONLY playoff game....remember on another sport (I know its hard to compare but Ill throw this out there) when Joe Torre was such a "bum"....what about now?

Point is:  Maybe Haslett or another coach who didnt do well somewhere else can flourish in Buffalo IF given the correct tools to WIN in the NFL....

566322[/snapback]

big difference.....bill was always a great x's and o's guy.he just had no personality in cleveland.his 2nd time around could have been pretty much the same except his hand was forced.when bledsoe got hurt in the jets game bill had to play brady and the rest is history!if bledsoe dosnt get hurt brady never gets a chance to play and turn bill into a god lol lol.and his 1st season in ne he had a losing record.

Wait what is his name...

Oh wait...

Oh yeah thats right...

Bill Belichick

Excerpts:

Link:

Browns

Here is the point:

Point is:  Maybe Haslett or another coach who didnt do well somewhere else can flourish in Buffalo IF given the correct tools to WIN in the NFL....

566322[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing also you can add Levy to that list

The truth of the matter is that Haslett is far more similar to Rich Kotite than Bill Belichick. BB was a coordinator IN THE SAME DIVISION AND CONFERENCE before he was HC of NE. Further, this extra time was under Parcells.

OTOH, Haslett has had 2 weeks since he's been canned by the Saints when he quit on his team and they quit on him. Further, he has no coaching pedigree whatsoever - I'd hardly call the Cowher pedigree something I'd put on my resume. His drafts have been horrid. Quite honestly he has no more qualifications to be a HC than did Meathead.

I support the removal of Mularkey but there are far more palatable candidates out there that have proven themselves to be winners, including Mike Sherman and Jim Fassel.

The "Haslett could be another Belichick" theory has many flaws, which I will present.

Here's Belichick's record with Cleveland:

| 1991 cle | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |

| 1992 cle | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 1993 cle | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 1994 cle | 11 5 0 | 1 1 |

| 1995* cle | 5 11 0 | 0 0 |

Belichick gets a free pass for the 1995 season because that was the Browns' lame duck season in Cleveland before moving to Baltimore. These circumstances drastically affected the team and were outside of his control.

Here's Haslett's record:

| 2000 nor | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |

| 2001 nor | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 2002 nor | 9 7 0 | 0 0 |

| 2003 nor | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 2004 nor | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 2005* nor | 3 13 0 | 0 0 |

Haslett gets a free pass for the 2005 season because of the Katrina mess. These circumstances drastically affected the team and were outside of his control.

So, what do these records tell us? It shows that where as Belichick inherited a losing team at 6-10 and improved them to 11-5, Haslett inherited a playoff team at 10-6 and the team showed no improvement and slightly regressed to consistent .500 football.

There are some small similarities between Belichick and Haslett: both were unpopular in their first head coaching stint and both coached their final season during a stressful period which they had no control over. But the big difference is that Belichick actually improved his Cleveland team and Haslett did not improve his New Orleans team.

Wait what is his name...

Oh wait...

Oh yeah thats right...

Bill Belichick

566322[/snapback]

I've been saying this all yesterday! Give the man a fresh start at a place he loves. Where is 1gap2gap when we need him?