I'd like to see Bobby April as HC

Max Fischer

From everything I've read this guy has the makings of a good HC. Excellent ST coach, loved and respected by the players. Supposedly a very good judge of talent and character; known to be creative and a good manager.

I simply have little faith in Haslett, and would rather see Sherman. But Id take April and leave room for April to bring in new OC, DC and other coaches.

I don't suppose there's a chance but I'd risk a coach with no HC experience who players love than a guy like Haslett who doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. (to me)

Heck ya. Great choice considering his qualifications and the limits the Bills brass seem to want to operate under.

I guess Special Teams coaches are overlooked, but in this case the GM doing the hiring began his NFL career as ST coach for the Rams and 'Skins. As Bills coach Marv always jawed about ST's importance.

April's truly excelled at his coordinator position. The guy has been terrific! A Def. or Off. coordinator from any team in the league that had the top unit 2 years running would be a hot HC candidate right now. April deserves some interviews at the very least. His strats and play design have shined through time and again on things like surprise onsides, catty-cornered punts, wedge busting (see: peters), and of course k/p return blocking.

He coaches with intensity and is respected by his players, who play with intensity.

April's experience with the current team is another part of it. The Bills seem to have wanted to keep some continuity with Wyche, McNally, and a few other assistants. I think that and Wilson's hatred of contract-eating are the only reasons they tried to keep Mularkey around.

Speaking of salary. For some reason Ralph likes to pay head coaches half what top assistants around the league are making. It boggles. But again that plays towards the choice of Bobby April, who wouldn't cost boku $$.

There are other names I'd look to if the Bills threw around coaching staff money like the Fish or Redskins. Not likely. But a team could do a lot worse than a class act like Bobby April. I also think he could work well with Marv and learn a lot from the Bills last ST-background head coach.

From everything I've read this guy has the makings of a good HC.  Excellent ST coach, loved and respected by the players.  Supposedly a very good judge of talent and character; known to be creative and a good manager.

I simply have little faith in Haslett, and would rather see Sherman.  But Id take April and leave room for April to bring in new OC, DC and other coaches. 

I don't suppose there's a chance but I'd risk a coach with no HC experience who players love than a guy like Haslett who doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. (to me)

564508[/snapback]

It's not entirely off the wall-- many coaches, beyond Marv, have made similar progessions (though usually with a few more coordinator stops along the way), Cowher is another example that comes to mind. In the larger scheme of things, we could certainly do a lot better, but it is at least worth a moment's consideration (now come and gone).

From everything I've read this guy has the makings of a good HC.  Excellent ST coach, loved and respected by the players.  Supposedly a very good judge of talent and character; known to be creative and a good manager.

I simply have little faith in Haslett, and would rather see Sherman.  But Id take April and leave room for April to bring in new OC, DC and other coaches. 

564508[/snapback]

I like your idea. My feeling is Ralph likes taking the easy way out ( Like Marv ) and just calls Haslett.

2 reasons why not:

1) it means he won't be able to devote as much time to our ST, which will likely cause them to slip. i.e. We lose someone who by all counts has done an EXCELLENT job.

2) No HC experience. This'll mean our 3rd on-the-job training HC in a row. I'd rather not have him learn at our expense.

That said, out of the leading candidates I've seen mentioned, I like him the best. (More by default than anything else.)

He's obviously familiar w/ our roster. (I've seen it mentioned that ST coaches get to interact w/ virtually the whole roster, rather than only 1/2 or just a few players.)

Also, from what I perceive of him, he seems to have a lot going for him, i.e. he's a good coach.

p.s. Another potential plus he has going, which I hope isn't a consideration though I fear it might be, being an unknown, he'll likely come cheap.

2 reasons why not:

1) it means he won't be able to devote as much time to our ST, which will likely cause them to slip.  i.e. We lose someone who by all counts has done an EXCELLENT job.

2) No HC experience.  This'll mean our 3rd on-the-job training HC in a row.  I'd rather not have him learn at our expense.

That said, out of the leading candidates I've seen mentioned, I like him the best. (More by default than anything else.)

He's obviously familiar w/ our roster.  (I've seen it mentioned that ST coaches get to interact w/ virtually the whole roster, rather than only 1/2 or just a few players.)

Also, from what I perceive of him, he seems to have a lot going for him, i.e. he's a good coach.

p.s. Another potential plus he has going, which I hope isn't a consideration though I fear it might be, being an unknown, he'll likely come cheap.

564669[/snapback]

I hear ya but I'd "take the chance" April would find a very good ST coach -- and like Marv, he'll have great input on how it's run. Besides, chances are April moves on soon anyway for more money and responsibility.

As for no HC experience, there is no doubt Bills' fans are a bit gun shy by now. But, that experience is certainly no guarantee for success, and just as important, not necessarily a indicator for failure: M. Lewis, J. Fox, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills hired April because he will come relatively cheap compared to the other candidates. I Love what April has done with the special teams and I love his intensity but he has "0" head Coaching experience!!

If I had a choice between Bobby April and Jerry Gray it would be April by a wide margin but I'd rather have a proven head coach with prior experience and a proven track record as in:

Jim Fassel :(