Just some negative comments about the D

flomoe

Just since most of the posts the last two days have been directly directed at DB and the offense, I thought I would just make a comment on the D.

Is it my imagination or does it appear the every second or third series, the Bills D tends to lighten up? My point is that, for most of both games, the D put some pretty good pressure on the opposing QB and forced some very short drives but every once in a while, when the D has the other team teetering on the edge, they ease up on the pressure and allow a lengthy drive.

I don't have one particular case in point but a few times against the Raiders, the Bills were all over Gannon and he didn't stand a chance completing a pass. On other occasions though, the Bills pressure just wasn't there and it appeared that the pass ruch was limited and they were trying more of a zone coverage than a pressure filled, in your face coverage. I understand that they have to change schemes up a bit but against Jacksonville, they brought the wood against Leftwich on several drives and he didn't seem to have a clue and on other drives, he had all day to pick apart the D.

Just wondering if Jerry Gray prefers to ease up the pressure at times and go with a bend but don't break attitude. I know that he isn't doing it to give the offense time to rest because they haven't really sustained stevestojan yet, lol. ;)

Just since most of the posts the last two days have been directly directed at DB and the offense, I thought I would just make a comment on the D.

Is it my imagination or does it appear the every second or third series, the Bills D tends to lighten up? My point is that, for most of both games, the D put some pretty good pressure on the opposing QB and forced some very short drives but every once in a while, when the D has the other team teetering on the edge, they ease up on the pressure and allow a lengthy drive.

I don't have one particular case in point but a few times against the Raiders, the Bills were all over Gannon and he didn't stand a chance completing a pass. On other occasions though, the Bills pressure just wasn't there and it appeared that the pass ruch was limited and they were trying more of a zone coverage than a pressure filled, in your face coverage. I understand that they have to change schemes up a bit but against Jacksonville, they brought the wood against Leftwich on several drives and he didn't seem to have a clue and on other drives, he had all day to pick apart the D. 

Just wondering if Jerry Gray prefers to ease up the pressure at times and go with a bend but don't break attitude. I know that he isn't doing it to give the offense time to rest because they haven't really sustained stevestojan yet, lol.  ;)

40199[/snapback]

I think if you want to beat this D, you just take a knee on first down, get a sack or tackle behind the LOS for about 10 yards. Then convert your third and very long for a first down or TD pass. The official stats seem to bear this out.

Charles

They opted for Lee Evans over several DT/DE talents in the 1st round. Chickens come home to roost.

Sorry, but the current Bills management would have difficulty running a hot dog stand. It's a shame - they once had a reputation as an astute organization.

They have a systemic problem that starts at the top...

Can't argue too much about your comments, but I will say this:

The Bills threw a lot of different fronts and blitzes at Leftwich, most likely because he is a young QB and still has trouble with them. That appeared to be the case, as Leftwich appeared dazed and confused except for the final drive, when the Bills inexplicably stopped their previous ways. Gannon, on the other hand, has been around. He knows how to deal with blitzes, is able to move around in the pocket, and gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately. Gray probably didn't want to blitz and leave guys open, since Gannon could pick them out quickly.

That said, I still think Gray and the defense did a bang-up job against the Raiders. Sure, they made a mistake or two, but in the NFL you're going to make some. If we had any semblance of an offense, one or two defensive mistakes wouldn't be enough to lose a game like that.

Can't argue too much about your comments, but I will say this:

The Bills threw a lot of different fronts and blitzes at Leftwich, most likely because he is a young QB and still has trouble with them. That appeared to be the case, as Leftwich appeared dazed and confused except for the final drive, when the Bills inexplicably stopped their previous ways. Gannon, on the other hand, has been around. He knows how to deal with blitzes, is able to move around in the pocket, and gets rid of the ball quickly and accurately. Gray probably didn't want to blitz and leave guys open, since Gannon could pick them out quickly.

That said, I still think Gray and the defense did a bang-up job against the Raiders. Sure, they made a mistake or two, but in the NFL you're going to make some. If we had any semblance of an offense, one or two defensive mistakes wouldn't be enough to lose a game like that.

40293[/snapback]

Rubes, I don't like being so pessimistic, but we all are pretty good at smelling rot at the top, wherever we have worked. I am amazed that they are not bringing in a bunch of players for a look-see. In the last 2 years of the B'gals, under HC Lewis, one would think there was a waiver-wire turnstile somewhere. I can't begin to remember the players that they have looked at. When OG Steinbeck had a slow recovery from surgury during training camp, they brought in a 7-year vet who started in game one's 31-24 loss at NYJ. When C Brabham had problems with his camp surgery and after game 1 was very doubtful to play, they signed 16-year vet Fontenot.

Why aren't the Bills scouring the wire to seek help? They haven't done that for a long time, and they allowed Gildon and Vincent to diddle them for a contract by using Cincy as a foil, who were never really interested in either player.

A turn-around is quite possible and I hope it happens.

Limiting 3rd down conversions and getting takeaways are the key to life for an NFL defense. The Bills D needs to do a better job in 3rd and Long situations (and 4th and Longs in the 1st game!). New England has made the blueprint. Statistically they aren't the greatest D but they get off the field on crucial 3rd downs and they create the most timely takeaways known to mankind.