Russ Grimm for offensive coordinator!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grimm would be a good choice in my book. You want to look for a guy whose coaching somewhat fits the current philosophy of the team, or the way they want to go, at least! Grimm is known for his "run first" style, a need for a solid O-Line, the use of a Randle-El/Hines Ward type, the occasional trick play, etc.

Another good reason to hire him. Let me ask you this question: if the final candidates for offensive coordinator came down to Grimm and Wyche, which would you prefer?

560473[/snapback]

definitely Grimm. What has Wyche done? Plus his health is a big concern.

if the final candidates for offensive coordinator came down to Grimm and Wyche, which would you prefer?

560473[/snapback]

Grimm. He's coached on and/or been associated with winning teams a lot more than Sam has.

Big problem however: his current title with the Stillers is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, so he'd be precluded from taking a lateral move to an OC position (I believe).

definitely Grimm.  What has Wyche done?

560477[/snapback]

You mean, other than coach the '88 Bengals to the Super Bowl?

(umm.. you were being sarcastic, right?)

Of course, you're correct about the last bit - can't see his docs letting Wyche do anything more strenuous than the job he's got now.

You mean, other than coach the '88 Bengals to the Super Bowl?

(umm.. you were being sarcastic, right?)

Of course, you're correct about the last bit - can't see his docs letting Wyche do anything more strenuous than the job he's got now.

560490[/snapback]

Sam's overall winning percentage as an NFL HC is under 0.400

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/WychSa0.htm

Big problem however:  his current title with the Stillers is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, so he'd be precluded from taking a lateral move to an OC position (I believe).

560488[/snapback]

I think you're right. I believe Cowher gave him the title asst head coach when he promoted Wishenhunt to OC, sort of to keep Grimm from leaving to fill another team's OC position.

definitely Grimm.  What has Wyche done?  Plus his health is a big concern.

560477[/snapback]

Wyche invented the no-huddle offense. The coordinator just sits in a nice, quiet booth, so his voice problems shouldn't be a concern. Given a choice, I'd pick Grimm over Wyche anyway, but I'd be happy with either.

Grimm.  He's coached on and/or been associated with winning teams a lot more than Sam has.

Big problem however:  his current title with the Stillers is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, so he'd be precluded from taking a lateral move to an OC position (I believe).

560488[/snapback]

Since when is OL coach to Offensive Coordinator a lateral move? It's a promotion. You may be right but I don't think the Asst. HC title means anything unless someone else tries to hire him as an OL coach.