Cell Phone Carriers

TSNBDSC

... just got a cell phone for christmas and I need some ideas for carriers ... work at the post office and will probably need about 500 minutes a month ... currently using a pre-paid phone card ... I've heard Sprint offers nice affordable plans ... thanks, tom

I heard Maurice Clarett is working as a cell phone "carrier." Except that you probably wouldn't like the gun he points at you.

And you got a cell phone and no plan? That's strange. Usually you can get great deals on phones by getting both together. In any case, do some research and find out which has the best reception in your area, not necessarlily which is the cheapest.

I heard Maurice Clarett is working as a cell phone "carrier."  Except that you probably wouldn't like the gun he points at you.

And you got a cell phone and no plan?  That's strange.  Usually you can get great deals on phones by getting both together.  In any case, do some research and find out which has the best reception in your area, not necessarlily which is the cheapest.

546689[/snapback]

... got a alltell nokia simple freedom wireless ...

In most cases, you cannot buy a phone and then pick and choose which carrier you want. Most cell phone companies lock their phones so that they canoot be used on another carrier, plus there are major differences cellular technology (GSM, TDMA, iDen, etc.).

If its an Alltel phone, you're best checking Alltel.com

My experience:

STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT! I don't even know how they stay in buisness. Good deals...horrible reception. I have heard rumors that there are hotspots for Sprint that work well, but other than that, they are bad.

When all is said and done, it usually comes down to Verizon or Cingular. I had Cingualr for years and loved it. Never had a problem reception (and I travel a lot for work), and the prices are good. They also have rollover minutes.

Verizon is the fastest growing company by far. Cingular took over the largest network when it took over ATT, but Verizon will take them over again before long.

I live overseas at the moment, but when I move back I will get Verizon. Everyone in my family has it and the IN calling makes that importnat. (Though most people don't realize Cingular has the same deal)

My experience:

STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT!  I don't even know how they stay in buisness.  Good deals...horrible reception.  I have heard rumors that there are hotspots for Sprint that work well, but other than that, they are bad.

When all is said and done, it usually comes down to Verizon or Cingular.  I had Cingualr for years and loved it.  Never had a problem reception (and I travel a lot for work), and the prices are good.  They also have rollover minutes.

Verizon is the fastest growing company by far.  Cingular took over the largest network when it took over ATT, but Verizon will take them over again before long. 

I live overseas at the moment, but when I move back I will get Verizon.  Everyone in my family has it and the IN calling makes that importnat.  (Though most people don't realize Cingular has the same deal)

549326[/snapback]

I can echo that...sprint is freaking awful...at first I thought it was just bad in a small city like Rochester, but reception sucked ass in Boston, Philly and San Francisco

T-mobile isn't too much better

I got suckered into leaving Cingular for Sprint because they had such fantastic deals with their plans...2 months into my plan, I had to cancel and eat the $150 cancellation fee because I could hardly ever use the phone due to lack of reception...ended up switching to Verizon and haven't looked back...the reception is so good, I can receive calls in the basement of the hospital I work at

My wife and I use Cingular. We get 450 rollover, unlimited mobile to mobile, 5000 night and weekend with 100 text messages/month all for $90 per after taxes/fees. This also includes lockline ins, $3 a month to replace my phone if broken/lost, no Q's asked. That is for 2 phones.

I have Verizon... The only problem I have is that I get dropped calls in South Chicago and a couple of miles from my house... Go figure! I can be on the west coast and call home and it is as clear as a bell... Trying calling home from the road leaving work or a mile from my home... Forget about it.

Maybe they don't want to put towers in the "poor neighborhoods?" In the South Suburbs of Chicago, that sentiment is echoed amongst the "powers that be" in various villages here.