#21 Looks Painfully Average

Mark VI

Willis McGahee had another lousy game with 23 carries for 66 yards, a 2.9 average. This is seven games in a row without a 100-yard performance, and while everyone knows the offensive line isn't very good, McGahee looks like he's shot this year. There's no hop in his step, no willingness to put his head down and burrow for yards the way he did last season. He had 790 yards in the first 8 games (98.7 average), and has 344 in the last 7 games (49.1 average). - Rochester D&C

I made the above observation... in August

Something is wrong here... The OL can only be blamed so much..

Drew Rosenhaus is high if he believes McGahee deserves a new contract. His current contract is good enough, based on performance...or lack of...

With plenty of Cap room to work with, signing a journeyman RB wouldn't be a bad idea.

We need more than a journeyman - but we would need another backup whether McGahee was running well or not. You cannot give a running back the 35 times a game without him completely breaking down. The top running back this year in carries doesn't have 25 a game, and the two top running games - ATL and DEN - don't have a RB averaging 20 a game. Put someone else next to Willis and that will motivate him, too.

He had 790 yards in the first 8 games (98.7 average), and has 344 in the last 7 games (49.1 average). -  Rochester D&C

542649[/snapback]

Gee, don't you think opposing DC's saw that film and have game planned accordingly since week 8? Also, Willis' most effective game in a month was last Sunday - when KH gave the team a credible passing threat and kept the defense from stacking against the run.

The jury's still out on WM until we get some NFL level run-blocking O-linemen. My guess is the only RB that could've had success running behind these guys this year would've been Barry Sanders in his prime.

Put Willis in a balanced offense with some better O-line talent and see what he can do. I'm betting he could be (at least) as good as Corey Dillon.

We need more than a journeyman - but we would need another backup whether McGahee was running well or not.  You cannot give a running back the 35 times a game without him completely breaking down.  The top running back this year in carries doesn't have 25 a game, and the two top running games - ATL and DEN - don't have a RB averaging 20 a game.  Put someone else next to Willis and that will motivate him, too.

542652[/snapback]

Why hasn't Lionel Gates been activated once this season ? Shaud Williams is 5-5 in heels and isn't anything more than a 3rd down back. Way too tiny.

Signing a Vet to push McGahee would be a good idea. I'm under the belief that most all high draft picks in 2006 should be O and D Lineman. The following year, a RB could be a high pick.

Willis McGahee had another lousy game with 23 carries for 66 yards, a 2.9 average. This is seven games in a row without a 100-yard performance, and while everyone knows the offensive line isn't very good, McGahee looks like he's shot this year. There's no hop in his step, no willingness to put his head down and burrow for yards the way he did last season. He had 790 yards in the first 8 games (98.7 average), and has 344 in the last 7 games (49.1 average). -  Rochester D&C

Drew Rosenhaus is high if he believes McGahee deserves a new contract. His current contract is good enough, based on performance...or lack of...

With plenty of Cap room to work with, signing a journeyman RB wouldn't be a bad idea.

542649[/snapback]

Some time ago, when there were threads here about WMG being a top back, I said that he would be welcome on most teams. There's been 3 Bill's games televised here in cincy: The 1st NE game - Willis looked fine. The DEN game - hmmm. The CIN game - uninspired is the most optimistic word I can come up with.

Not good.

Willis has no heart and has totally let his teammates down for going on 2 months now. Their are always good hard working backs available in each draft, it's time for some competition at that postion.A new contract is out of the question!

Willis is not even a top ten back right now. IMO he has absolutely no leadership value to this team.

Maybe MM is right in not using him much on 3rd downs this season.

Willis has an awfull lot to prove next year, and I don't care how bad everyone thinks the line is.

Why hasn't Lionel Gates been activated once this season ?  Shaud Williams is 5-5 in heels and isn't anything more than a 3rd down back. Way too tiny.

Signing a Vet to push McGahee would be a good idea. I'm under the belief that most all high draft picks in 2006 should be O and D Lineman. The following year, a RB could be a high pick.

542657[/snapback]

I'll settle for Travis Henry.

Sure seemed t omotivate Willis last year, and took some quality carries.  My point was, though, it doesn't take a lot, but we need a guy we can trust every down to pick up yards.  And maybe that is Gates.  Who knows?

542666[/snapback]

Point taken. We need a guy with a well rounded game which includes running, blocking and ability to catch the dump/screen pass and get some yards. A lot of the top backs are very good blockers, which is often overlooked. McGahee had a couple of nice blocks Saturday.

Willis McGahee is a tremendous talent everywhere but between his ears. It's no surprise to me that now that there's no credible threat to push him (Shaud Williams? Are you kidding me?) that he is less than impressive on a losing team.

He's pulling the chute so he doesn't get injured. Try and picture Thurman Thomas doing that.

Willis McGahee is a tremendous talent everywhere but between his ears.  It's no surprise to me that now that there's no credible threat to push him (Shaud Williams?  Are you kidding me?) that he is less than impressive on a losing team.

He's pulling the chute so he doesn't get injured.  Try and picture Thurman Thomas doing that.

542694[/snapback]

Bullseye. Props for the drooling canine.

Willis McGahee is a tremendous talent everywhere but between his ears.  It's no surprise to me that now that there's no credible threat to push him (Shaud Williams?  Are you kidding me?) that he is less than impressive on a losing team.

He's pulling the chute so he doesn't get injured.  Try and picture Thurman Thomas doing that.

542694[/snapback]

I'd still give him another year behind a better line before I call him a complete disappointment.

Willis had a better OL in front of him in college than he does now. And was rarely touched at The U until he had a full head of steam up. Now, he's getting hit in the backfield on half his carries and that's not gonna work for a power back with limited shiftiness.

I'll agree that he needs to be pushed, however, and hopefully Gates can be that guy next year.

Willis McGahee had another lousy game with 23 carries for 66 yards, a 2.9 average. This is seven games in a row without a 100-yard performance, and while everyone knows the offensive line isn't very good, McGahee looks like he's shot this year. There's no hop in his step, no willingness to put his head down and burrow for yards the way he did last season. He had 790 yards in the first 8 games (98.7 average), and has 344 in the last 7 games (49.1 average). -  Rochester D&C

542649[/snapback]

Although Mcgahee hasn't looked as good as last year, out of the last 7 games you quote, in 3 of those games, he had 8, 9 and 10 carries. No running back is going to produce with so few attempts. You also have to question the line and the play calling. How many times have we seen Willis rush up the middle for no gain because there was no push and no hole. You can't blame it all on him.

Why hasn't Lionel Gates been activated once this season ?  Shaud Williams is 5-5 in heels and isn't anything more than a 3rd down back. Way too tiny.

542657[/snapback]

Shaud Williams has been way more effective than Mcgahee this year. I don't give a sheet how a player looks, it's how he plays. Shaud plays bigger than Willis. SHaud lays a better block than WIllis, has better hands than Willis, and can run faster than 5 mph which is what Willis looks like every time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I don't like WM, I think he is wrong for this team, I think he is wrong for this town.

He is all about the $$$$ and fame, nothing else. He could care less about the Bills or this town and its fans.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he played somewhere else.

Roll out Gates :angry:

Willis has no heart and has totally let his teammates down for going on 2 months now. Their are always good hard working backs available in each draft, it's time for some competition at that postion.A new contract is out of the question!

Willis is not even a top ten back right now. IMO he has absolutely no leadership value to this team.

Maybe MM is right in not using him much on 3rd downs this season.

Willis has an awfull lot to prove next year, and I don't care how bad everyone thinks the line is.

542661[/snapback]

i thought he missed a lot of holes this year. he tended to run into the back of the pile and be stopped instead of cutting into space. i screamed a half dozen times a game about this.